Free Member
Aug 26, 2015
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
Since 2011
We don't know. It was locked and we had both sets of keys in the house.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
read a bit about transits been stolen (mk 7,s that is ).. first ones that were been taken both police and ford said it wasn't possible without the keys, but eventually it was became clear it could be done..
the door is easily opened with lock picks , but as long as access can be gained to the diagnostic socket there is equipment available (on ebay im told) that allows them to get it srarted without having the keys..
there was some footage caught on camera which backed this up...
it was of interest to me as I own a mk7 campervan, but I suppose it can be done with a lot of other makes..
solutions suggested on the ford transit forum was to enclose the diagnostic socket in a lockable container or rewire it and have an adapter made so that the owner could still use it as long as he had the adapter to convert it back to normal...
I haven't got round to that yet but did fit some visual external devices like steering wheel and pedal clamps.
ta andy

OP
OP
Ridley123

Ridley123

Free Member
Aug 26, 2015
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks Andy - interesting to know!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
As we also have a Tranny based MH and we visit Halfax regularly due to family connections, I am concerned to learn how the thieves managed to get around the immobiliser and make off with your pride and joy.

speaking to my sister when she locked her key
in her newish car locksmith arrived with a precut key

she then as told there is many a lock smith inside at HMP

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
sounds like your theft is following a familiar pattern. Steal van and park up locally to see if it has a tracker. 48 hours later drive straight to a prebooked ferry. often to Ireland, sometimes south to Spain where it will be sold after changing the plates

This is exactly what happened to a friends Sprinter van (not converted). It was stolen from Honley in West Yorkshire (believed to be a gang of Lithuanians acc to police), driven across the border into Manchester where they stripped out all the dash to see if there was some sort of tracker. They then left it parked up on a side street to see if anyone reclaimed it. Fortunately for him, it was sign written and some business owner with premises nearby rang the number on the van to say it seemed strange it was parked up for a few days. Nothing had been stolen, just the dash pulled about. Police said the gang would probably have gone back for it within the next 24 hours and it would have been on a ferry and away.

If you know which motorway cameras it tripped, might be wise to post a FB plea on groups in that area including local for sale/swap sites that are all over FB

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Watched a flotilla of travellers leaving a site today . mostly transit vans and mostly caravans that wern't hobby's or other usual traveller vans . I couldn't help but think about my van that was stolen and all the other people who have had vehicles stolen .
Can't understand why it is so easy for these people to get away with it .

Transits are often stolen for spares I'm afraid . I hope all turns out well for you , my family was devastated when our van was stolen :( .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scouse272

Free Member
Nov 15, 2014
golborne
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 645
Exp
Sorry to hear of your plight hope you get it sorted.on the subject of nicking transits the company I work for ( golborne branch,green vans) has just had this problem sorted by east lancs auto elecrics,don't know exact details but I know it stops access through diagnostic port fairly cheap fix ask for mark

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back