Free Member
Aug 26, 2015
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
Since 2011
We have really taken to motorhoming since taking the plunge and buying our motorhome 4 years ago. We've done lots of touring in our second home. But, we have just suffered the nightmare of having our motorhome stolen from right outside our house, on the very eve of returning from a 5 week trip to France earlier this week.

I'm sure the police will do whatever they can, but in the meantime we are left feeling helpless and despairing that we will ever see our van again. As a thought though, and knowing how keen-eyed other motorhomers are in spotting and waving to other motorhomers, we thought, just maybe that some of you may be able to keep an eye out to try to spot our van.

We live in West Yorkshire, but the police tell us the van was spotted by a speed camera on the motorway just yesterday, so it is on the move to somewhere. Our motorhome is very distinctive - it's a 2007 Dethleffs Globevan on a Ford Transit base vehicle which has a dark red cab and grey sides to the living quarters. There are very few about. It also has damage to the rear, driver's side corner panel that has been gaffer-taped up pending repair. The vehicle registration is FJ07BYS.

If anyone happens to spot our van on their travels - please report it's whereabouts to the police. We would be so grateful to have our lovely van returned to us.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Rotten luck, I really hope you get it back.

If you have a Facebook account it would be a good idea to post on there, also join as many Motorhomeing Facebook groups as you can.
Motorhome Adventures
German Motorhome group
And of course Motorhome Fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like your theft is following a familiar pattern. Steal van and park up locally to see if it has a tracker. 48 hours later drive straight to a prebooked ferry. often to Ireland, sometimes south to Spain where it will be sold after changing the plates

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like your theft is following a familiar pattern. Steal van and park up locally to see if it has a tracker. 48 hours later drive straight to a prebooked ferry. often to Ireland, sometimes south to Spain where it will be sold after changing the plates

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Sorry to hear this. Do you have a photo?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Horrible thing to happen, can you tell us on which motorway and direction it was heading, it may give some idea of its destination?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm gutted for you. Give us a picture so we can keep an eye out for it.

Heading down the West Country today, so I'm on the lookout now.

It's all to easy to happen, as this old clip shows. Think it's also from Yorkshire.

Good luck in getting it back again.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Awww really feeling for you .... can you blow your avatar to a reasonable size for us please and which direction on the motorway was it going?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I was going to like your post but I don't think that would be the right thing to do. Sorry and hope you get it back.

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Having been in the same situation I feel for you.We didn't see ours again and were gutted but on the bright side the insurance paid out within a month and we managed to get the same model as the one stolen but with lower mileage!Which having it stolen did us a favour but I wouldn't like to go through all the heartache again.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry to learn about your loss - hope there is a positive outcome for you.

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
So sorry to hear of your plight..it must be an absolute nightmare.
Did your M/H have any form of alarm fitted ??

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hello Im sorry to hear of your bad news,:mad: but it may be a coincidence we saw one like yours when we came off the m6 at junction 24 Ashton in Makerfield it was heading into Ashton the other day.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hello Im sorry to hear of your bad news,:mad: but it may be a coincidence we saw one like yours when we came off the m6 at junction 24 Ashton in Makerfield it was heading into Ashton the other day.
We lost a series of council lorries years ago, they were found, (those not cut up), in the Wigan/Ashton area by the police.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Some years back my wifes mini metro was pinched from the hospital staff car park while she was on nights at Billinge hospital ,the policeman that came to the house could tell me who had taken it ,where it would be, and the address but couldn't do anything about it:mad: he did say in so many words if you were to go there go mob handed as they were a bunch of bastards well known in the Ashton area.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
It is not nice when some low life take away your property hope you get it back or the insurance pay up quick so you can get back on the road.
As others have said see If you can post a pic so we can all keep an eye out.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sorry to hear of your loss, a photo may help jog peoples memory. The police refusing to go get it back, what a surprise.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If you do not get it back do not put too much emphasis on the damaged corner panel, we had a caravan stolen and never seen again, insurers very keen to get identifying features such as scratches and dents in case seen / found, then when not recovered knocked £1000 off the settlement due to declared damage :mad:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope matters are resolved to your satisfaction. My issue is - How did they steal it are Transits still easy to nick. My Hymer is based on a Tranny,I do have a tracker fitted.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
If i were you i would post this all over facebook/twitter/forums with pictures and anything else you can think of. The police will be in no rush to track it down unless it happens to come by them as they are just "too busy". The more you can do the better the chance but on the flip side dont let it get the blood pressure up. As long as you are insured they should pay out which although not what you want it will help.

It just amazes me how low people are to do something like this, they are just the lowest of the low.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Probably the "rural criminal fraternity" as the police would refr to them might be worth staking out the nearest port to Ireland N or South as they would travel through.. Next seen with a set of Republic number plates and new docs.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Someone has just posted on FB they have saw one like it in Scunthorpe an hr ago. I will try and get more details.

OP
OP
Ridley123

Ridley123

Free Member
Aug 26, 2015
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
Since 2011
P1040088.JPG

OP
OP
Ridley123

Ridley123

Free Member
Aug 26, 2015
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for all your replies. We are waiting to hear which motorway it was on but the police don't rush. It will be a low priority for them. We a resigned to fact that we probably won't see it again but it helps to know that others are on the case.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.

I tried to cross at Dover, a couple of years ago, having picked up the van the day before from the dealer and they wouldn't let me go anywhere, until I proved it was mine.
I had the sales reciept and the VC5 tear off slip, so eventually they let me go.

:cooler:

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi so sorry to hear about you van, it must be devastating for you, but now all the funster spies are on the case you will hopefully get it back. good luck.

rwhites1

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Cl Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
since 2001
we have a globevan and live in west yorkshire will look out for it on our travels

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Thanks for all your replies. We are waiting to hear which motorway it was on but the police don't rush. It will be a low priority for them. We a resigned to fact that we probably won't see it again but it helps to know that others are on the case.
As we also have a Tranny based MH and we visit Halfax regularly due to family connections, I am concerned to learn how the thieves managed to get around the immobiliser and make off with your pride and joy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back