Help - Motorhome Problem!

Discussion in 'Spain' started by DogsOnTour, Sep 13, 2015.

1. DogsOnTour

DogsOnTour Read Only Funster

I write to ask advice, with a view to resolving an issue I have with my motorhome in Spain.

My tax and and mot expired on my vehicle whilst it was in Spain, the police were advise of this by someone and have pounded the vehicle awaiting proof of tax , mot and insurance. I am able to produce insurance but not proof of tax and mot. They have informed me the vehicle can't be released without tax and mot yet I am unable to tax and mot the vehicle whilst it's in their possession! Catch 22!!

Can anyone help by advising on a solution for this situation?

2. elamessa

elamessa Funster

Cant help with your problem but why let tax/mot run out whilst you are in spain. Presuming its UK registered then surely you must kmow when tax/mot is due.!!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Personally I think you have a major problem as you cannot tax the vehicle without mot and you would need the mot done in the UK as its all electronically linked now. Also, insurance may be void if no tax and mot, as one of the first things they check if making a claim, tyres being one of the other major get outs. May be the only way out of it would be to liase with the authorities and try to get them to reach a mutual agreement with a view to arranging recovery of your vehicle to ferry terminal so that it's not driven on the road, then arrange an mot appointment at a garage nearest the UK port on your arrival. That's the only legal way to drive on UK road when to a pre arranged mot appointment, nearest your location.
    I don't think a Spanish mot is possible but I may be wrong.
    Seems you may have dropped a goolie by not checking when mot/tax due. You've obviously mentioned it to someone over there or why and how would they know it had expired as tax discs are now a thing of the past.
    I'm sorry I cannot offer any more suggestions but maybe someone else on here will come along with more.
    Good luck with it, hope you can reach a solution with the Spanish authorities.

• Like Like x 1
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

One of the big downsides of doing away with the tax disc was there is no longer a visible clue showing when it is due renewal, and as MOTs are usually due around the same time it covered both.

I suspect the OP is royally stuffed and will have to get the vehicle taken to a ferry port by trailer. And there will be a brown envelope from the DVLC waiting on the door mat at home enclosing a fine, at the very least. Nightmare.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DogsOnTour

DogsOnTour Read Only Funster

Death of a nearest and dearest, resulting in losing track of some of the less important things in life.

• Like Like x 5
  6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

you are not the first to think they can get away with it and undoubtably not the last. it would be illegal to drive the vehicle back to the uk regardless of the police seizing the van. all you can do is arrange to re-register the van in spain and get it legal there before travelling

one thing is for certain, avoiding tax and mot will cost a hell of a lot of money to sort out

• Like Like x 3
  7. TheBig1

seeing your last post put up as i was typing, i can only offer my sympathies. the police will hopefully take this into account, as its easy to proove

• Like Like x 2
  8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

http://www.a1-solutions-spain.com/c...og/369-getting-your-uk-car-motd-in-spain.html

"Well, after further investigation I can absolutely 100% confirm that you CANNOT get a Gibraltar MOT on a UK-registered car, but you CAN get an ITV. I know, because I went to the local ITV test centre the other day and asked. It’s called una ITV voluntaria and I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to get it done.

But, remember, you can only legally keep your UK vehicle here for six months at a time, without removing it, at least temporarily, from Spain."

and.....read the reply's

http://www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts-long-9734.aspx

your in a bit of a pickle my friend...was thinking about getting someone with trade plated to drive it back for you..but the MOT is the problem. The ITV procedure mentioned in post above (available from acerain centres - the first step of getting spanish registration apparently) may just be enough to get you back on the road. then get someone with trade plates to drive it home ASAP as this cheaper then a trailer. have MOT booked at your arrival UK port

we have members on here with trade plates I think?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  9. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Or book it in for a test in this country .as unless things have changed you can still legally drive to a test without mot or tax ,so long as it is a pre-booked appointment and mileage is/ wasn't an obstacle :whistle:

10. TheBig1

yes it is, and always was an obstacle. the vehicle must be booked in within a reasonable distance involving just one short journey. also it must be at a specific time prebooked etc. Travelling a couple of days and hundreds of miles is going to cause multiple offences
    crossing spain, france then part of the uk is beyond reasonable. the large number of ANPR cameras will ensure multiple tickets and fines in the post

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fenman

Fenman Funster

Re-reading the original the vehicle is impounded so can only be released against MOT and insurance certificate. Strikes me as impossible as how the devil can you get an MOT in a Spanish pound?:(

12. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

The same grey area as A frames :)

13. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

read my post earlier. he can arrange a specific type of ITV test and get someone with trade plates to drive it back covered under their trade insurance etc.....

where there's a will there's a way

@Snowbird in the know re Spain...

• Like Like x 2
  14. TheBig1

the only way may be to have a police officer accompany the vehicle to an ITV station as said and re-register the vehicle in spain. otherwise driving it on a public highway would be unlawful.

15. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

ITV test on a UK vehicle is not worth the paper it's written on...
    I will see if I can find the link..

Sounds like you need a Lawyer / gesture to resolve this one.. The van could be shipped back to UK on a truck, several companies offer the service BUT getting the van released from the police pound will be the issue.
    Maybe they will agree if it's a shipping company who collects it....

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheBig1

whatever it wont be a cheap fix. a low loader and a fine may be the cheapest option

17. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Registration in Spain is difficult.
    If the hab door is on the UK nearside then it wont get done at all...
    Tax implications and costs may not be worth it either, been a few threads about this and often talked about.
    Never come across many people who bother to do it...

18. TheBig1

but if refused, you must remove the vehicle from spain straight away I believe. at least it would have a valid test certificate even if it is spanish

think you are right though, a low loader is the easiest legal but expensive option

19. houdini

houdini Funster

Possibly a daft suggestion and don't know the legality but is it feasible for a UK mechanic to do the MOT on the MH in situ? Or would that not be valid due to being in Spain?

20. TheBig1

its rather tricky as an MOT station must be licenced and regularly inspected. cost a fair bit to run too with the equipment needed, rolling road/brake tester and exhaust gas analysers that need to be calibrated

a few years back a british mechanic on the algarve was doing mot "tests" and their sister garage in the uk would mail out the certificate and register the entry on the system. this quickly got caught and stamped out