HELP!!! Michael has blown the 240 fuse!

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Teasy2007, May 6, 2010.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi everybody, could someone please point us is the right direction to find the Autocruse Starburst 240 fuse box.

Michael has blown the fuse and we have no idea where it is in the motorhome. He is turning everything upside down and cant find it anywhere. He has found the main fuse box but that only seems to have fuses for the 12 volt side.

Please help we are in Spain on a campsite and I really dont look forward to spending the next month without electricity.

Ginny

2. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Look at where the mains inlet is on the van and within about a metre of it you should have a consumer unit (grey plastic box which will have an RCD and 1or 2 MCB's, It's a small version of what's in your house).
    It's most likely the RCD has tripped (that's the safety device) it will trip if overloaded or there is a fault, the MCB's are like re-settable fuses. Find the box and turn it/them back on, first unplug what may have tripped it.

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Pure guesswork says it's very close to where the hook-up cable plugs in.

Also it might not be your fuse but the campsite's.

4. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Thanks Lenny, there is a small blue plastic box but you have to unscrew it to get inside so Michael did not want to do more harm than he already has. I will show him your quote and see if that works.

5. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

No unfortunately, it was definitely us, we blew the whole campsite and when they turned the electricity back on, our was the only one not working.

Ginny

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Ginny, you'll look back at this and laugh, but probably not today:BigGrin: Hope you find that fuse:thumb:

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Seriously awesome. Well done.

Makes note: Teasy, if going on a meet with these plonkers take generator.

8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Wouldn't expect to have to unscrew it, some have a hinged cover most are open to the breakers.
    I would expect it to be 5 - 8 inches wide x 8 inches high normally they are light grey you may be looking at the wrong thing.

9. john-A

john-A Read Only Funster

Have you found it yet?

10. keith

keith Funster

Under the passenger seat Ginny, thats where ours is. Slide the back cover off & you will see the RCD with a switch that is tight to push up.

But you should look for what caused it in the first place.

Keith

PS I should have said it's a bit tight to get to, little fingers needed.

11. dshague

dshague Funster

behind either of the seats there should be a flap velcro the fuses are there i phoned
    the dealer for you .good look dont kill him .:Doh:

12. keith

keith Funster

No, fuses are in a plastic box behind the drivers seat.

Ginny has a similar van to us & of a similar age.

She is not on line at present so wont see these replies, hope they get it sorted soon. :thumb:

13. dshague

dshague Funster

have just text her asking her to look at fun

14. dshague

dshague Funster

Keith just had a text back saying thank you .mike found switch and they are now cooking .
    she did not say they were still talking though.:Smile:

15. keith

keith Funster

Good result. Glad they got it sorted.

16. Big Momma

Big Momma Read Only Funster

Although the RCD box is usually close to the 240v inlet, not always the case. Mine is under one of the bench seats on the opposite side of the van. As already described, grey box with switches like you have at home. Suggest that if not already done so, turn your power buton off before you re-set the trip switch and unplug all your electrical items. this will prevent you from re-blowing the whole capsite again when you switch back on. Do you know what Amperage the site is supplying to you (5A, 10A, 16A) ? Also look at what you have plugged in and anything that you may have added to the load just before it went off. Shouldn't be too hard to find just not always in the most logical place and certainly no screws to remove. Best of luck and hope you get re-connected very soon.

17. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Thanks Keith, David texted your information and we are back in business again. Michael turned the van inside out but could not find it at all. I emailed Marquis and they rang me this morning with the information as well, so I was really pleased, excellent aftersales service!!

As to what caused the problem in the first place - I had asked Michael to extend the kettle cable so we would not have to use the extention. He finally got round to the job and cut through the extention cable whilst it was still plugged into the mains - I am glad to report he was not hurt, but as I reported he managed to short out all the electricity on the site. Still everything is ok now and at least we now know where the trip switch is for the 240!! LOL

Thanks to everybody who came back to me, especially Keith and David.

By the way, the sun is finally out in Santa Suzanna, we have had 3 days of almost torrential rain ( from Sunday to Tuesday) and we are just about dried out!

Ginny

18. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi David, the problem with men is when they make a BIG mistake we women are not allowed to say anything BUT when we make even a little mistake we never hear the last of it!!

PS I was so sorry for him I never said a word and we laughed about it afterwards - do you remember when Michael went dashing under that low bridge with only an inch of space, or the speed bump which broke every glass and cup in the Van. I rest my case!!

Ginny