Terry

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Since moving house four years ago I did have a mouse problem, in fact they ate their way through my sound lagging in the engine compartment. On speaking to my next door neighbour, he put me wise/ Poison Wheat. You buy it from the Farm Store, comes in small plastic trays with raised covers which stop them getting wet and protects the birds/dogs etc. We are now 3 months into trial... Not a mouse in the place, I have even put chocolate down as a tester.. Not Touched!!
Winters with us so hopefully NO MICE!! Best Regards Mac

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
I'm getting really paranoid now, Jaws... How often should I go up to the van... I normally leave it a couple of weeks thinking that they can't do any damage if they do get in in that time and I will be able to sort it .. but some of this damage sounds horrible... It's such a pain getting into the farm .. do I need to go every day? How fast do they go from just a few droppings to a massacre. :( How often do others go up to their vans please?
We go and check ours twice a week now. Not caught any for last few weeks but have trapped 6 over last few months We have 6 traps down plus sonic repellant plus bounce sheets everywhere. No point in using humane traps as would just be setting them free to come back again.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Humane traps need to be checked frequently (twice a day) otherwise they are not "humane".

Sticky traps kill by starving or killing by thirst - not quickly.
Poison can be good in outside environments (providing that other animals can't get access to it) but there is a risk of having mice going to die in inaccessible areas of your van and smelling the place out.

Normal traps which break their necks / spines appear to be the most effective way of killing mice and is the method that I use.

Sonic devices do not operate through obstacles; they might work in the open areas but not under bedding, behind cupboard doors etc.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Store my van in my barn, regularly catch over 50 pairs a year, they are nearly always in pairs and usually 2 pairs at a time.

Forget poison, it creates more problems than it solves in my opinion, if you want to catch mice which are already in your van the old fashioned wooden traps are by far the best with a smear of peanut butter on, not a great big dollop, have 12 in my van as a precaution, HOWEVER, the best course of action is to stop them getting in, in the first place. Go on YouTube, search for bucket trap for mice, there are hundreds, and make at least 2, (4 is best) they take about 10 mins to make each, place one by each wheel of the Moho, place a ramp up to the top of the bucket on each side and smear very lightly with dabs of peanut butter, and smear the tin all the way around with a good helping of peanut butter, it lasts and works for months, job sorted, you will catch many, many mice. I have not had ONE mouse in the Moho since doing this last year.

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
This is an old thread that gives me the creeps...

No problems since, but my wife insisted on a change of van:D

We have the repellents in the van ( one battery , one 240v) and no problems for 2 years.

We never leave the van for more than 2.weeks without using it or visiting it

I have warned the mice community that we have a nuclear arsenal permanently aimed at them.

So far there has been a stand off.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Store my van in my barn, regularly catch over 50 pairs a year, they are nearly always in pairs and usually 2 pairs at a time.

Forget poison, it creates more problems than it solves in my opinion, if you want to catch mice which are already in your van the old fashioned wooden traps are by far the best with a smear of peanut butter on, not a great big dollop, have 12 in my van as a precaution, HOWEVER, the best course of action is to stop them getting in, in the first place. Go on YouTube, search for bucket trap for mice, there are hundreds, and make at least 2, (4 is best) they take about 10 mins to make each, place one by each wheel of the Moho, place a ramp up to the top of the bucket on each side and smear very lightly with dabs of peanut butter, and smear the tin all the way around with a good helping of peanut butter, it lasts and works for months, job sorted, you will catch many, many mice. I have not had ONE mouse in the Moho since doing this last year.

Tried those in the first place ... they never ever touched the peanut butter.... as if they were giving me a finger!!! But again rats are different from mice. they seem to work on internet though, at that time I didn't know I had to put gloves on....

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Tried those in the first place ... they never ever touched the peanut butter.... as if they were giving me a finger!!! But again rats are different from mice. they seem to work on internet though, at that time I didn't know I had to put gloves on....
Works for me!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The mice that frequent our MH are probably getting up through the engine bay then below the glove compartment on the passenger side where there's no solid barrier ('05 Ducato cab).

You MH may have built-in mouse traps in the form of the side door footwells and the habitation steps, which are often smooth-sided. If they can be enticed into those they can't do any damage, they can't get out and it's game over shortly afterwards.

We have sonic repellers at my workplace, and they don't stop them. The blue bait blocks do, eventually.

Whilst I'm generally respectful of wildlife, anything that can destroy my vehicle's wiring loom or leave me at risk of contracting Leptospirosis deserves no mercy. Sod Mickey and Minnie.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We had them in the kitchen, I used a humane trap then transporting the five lucky young mice to a nice spot down the road. Not had any other sign for six months. They are happy and my conscience is clear. How could anyone stick a mouse to the floor and make it bite through it's own legs to get away. A sick mind thought that one up. :(

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks Jaws, will do as much as I can... I have no way of looking under the van for any access holes .. I still don't know how they got in last time. Do you know by any chance if it is true they don't like the smell of lavendar? I keep spraying cupboards and everywhere with lavandar stuff but I would have thought they liked flowers. . so bit confused.

When I had my last van I put moth balls in every crevice and cupboard and never had any problem but the van stank .. and it lasted all through the summer .. I was choking half the time.

Thanks again. :)

I am no expert but did a little delving and the general consensus agree 100% with the ingredients suggested by Frankie Joy :)

Make up a pot potpourri of Camphor, Mint and eucalyptus and place in bags all around the place..
Couple of common entry points would be under the fire if you have one fitted ( BIG holes under there ! ) and under the dash where all the various cables and levers etc enter
Also 'gas drops' should be looked at ( small vents in the floor ), anywhere waste pipes exit the van ( often not that well sealed ) and one entry point that is a real bugger if the base cab is either a peugeot of fiat, is a gap just behind the rear of the cab door that goes up in to the door pillar ..
Almost impossible to see or detect except on a day with a cold wind.. then you can feel a draft !

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My usual humane ethics don't extend to rodents, although I wouldn't use sticky traps. If I occasionally catch a live one at work I'll put it in a bucket and throw it into a nearby field to take its chance with cold, starvation and predators, but the rest will get poisoned by bait in the night. The reason most peoples' houses don't have them is because the local cat population is slaughtering them on a daily basis. It's not like they're an endangered species.

My idea of humanity in the MH is to put bait down in the footwells so they snuff it quickly. That's as nice as I'm prepared to be where an expensive vehicle's concerned.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

Simon, what do yo do with them when
you find them in the bucket please? Do you just take them to a wood somewhere? I really am getting paranoid now. :(

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks all. Will order some repellants and try and find the stuff to make up those camphor, mint and eucalyptus bags ... I guess a health shop would sell the ingredients?

I will make some bucket ramps for round the wheels too, although I think they will either blow away or 'walk' from my parking spec at the farm compound..

Does anyone know the answer re my question on lavendar please? Thank you.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
My van is in outside storage. I have 4 traps in there and a sonic repeller. Last week I caught a mouse and yesterday 2 traps had been set off but they had escaped. There is absolutely no food or bedding kept in the van and my neighbours don't have a problem. I'm putting down two more traps today. Yes, 6 traps may be overkill in a PVC but they have been doing damage to the upholstery.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Decent snap Traps with peanut butter, don`t use poison as they die in the van were you can`t get to them, personally I wouldn`t use a sonic repeller, let the traps do their job.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Can someone recommend a good
Battery Powered Ultra Sonic Rodent Repeller Deterrent?

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Can someone recommend a good
Battery Powered Ultra Sonic Rodent Repeller Deterrent?
Well, I've got one and it's obviously not doing its job that's why I now have 6 traps set! If you find one that works can you let me know please. Cost no object to get rid of the little blighters. I've read lots of reviews and they are very mixed.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The awful thing about Mice is they're virtually impossible to spot! Most men can's see them at all!
mouse.jpg

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Well, I've got one and it's obviously not doing its job that's why I now have 6 traps set! If you find one that works can you let me know please. Cost no object to get rid of the little blighters. I've read lots of reviews and they are very mixed.

From what I have read, they don't do anything. I don't know for mice but for rats it must be 10 000 MHZ and you have to modify regularly as they get used of it within a fortnight (may be less!).
So you can't have a cheap one. It must be one you have to choose how many Mhz you want .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a wee correction Frankie, that should be I think 10,000 hertz
10,000 mhz is ok for line of sight radio communications but is somewhat about any living things hearing ! :D ( In fact NOAA meteorological satellite radar operates in this band. )

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Thanks Yodeli, LOL
I am very cross with Yodel, they just lost a parcel that they collect for me. (Parts for the MH bumper)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just found the following, and from my past experience with mothballs may try those again, too .... so apologies to anyone who comes in my van for a coffee next year it will stink of mothball smell ..

-
WOW, thanks for the info. Who'da thunk it? My plants must have been superhuman, with me watering on top of the mothballs as well, huh?
Yet further down the page, somebody says: "The best thing I have found is moth balls (the big ones, moths don't like giving up there own). Mice don't like the smell. I use them in the shed after having a few life jackets chewed up. No signs of them sence the moth balls were put in."

So I'm a bit confused. Seems like somebody is saying they work. Or is this a case where this "somebody" is someone like me, giving advice and then the person who wrote the top part is telling them about the toxicity?

All I know is, I'm alive, my plants didn't die and neither did my cats. But again, thanks for posting that link so "flowersnhens" is better educated.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Just a wee correction Frankie, that should be I think 10,000 hertz
10,000 mhz is ok for line of sight radio communications but is somewhat about any living things hearing ! :D ( In fact NOAA meteorological satellite radar operates in this band. )

LOL yes ... perfectly right ... I get all mixed up with all those letters! Had my Dad read that ... I would be dead ... He used to be a "sound engineer" on French Tv ......!!!:whistle:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Thanks Yodeli, LOL
I am very cross with Yodel, they just lost a parcel that they collect for me. (Parts for the MH bumper)

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: ... I beg your pardon? You are cross with me? I lost something ? I never met you .... so really don't know what you are talking about

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Peppermint oil put onto cotton wool balls has always done the trick for us.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: ... I beg your pardon? You are cross with me? I lost something ? I never met you .... so really don't know what you are talking about
LOL !!
YODEL is a delivery company here in the UK !! ( I use the term delivery in a loose way as they seem to lose more than they deliver !!!! )

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

Yodel is a delivery company in England. Well known for not collecting or delivering parcels. (y)

Yodeli as far as I know does not :D:D

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Well..... Do any of you know any French delivery company? NO ,no, no without watching on the internet!!!!Well?????? How can I possibly know about it? To me it didn't sound like a play on words , some astonishing misunderstanding more like! I got a tad upset..... now that I understand all's fine:LOL: ! Thanks for explaining!;) You nearly got a PM from an upset froggy:eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back