Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi all
My Bro Inlaw wants a lap top, he's new to computers, never been on the web
He only wants to surf the net upload a few pics, says he wont get into gaming or video production
Recommend the best value lappy if you have seen any deals circa £300- £400
I recommended W7 with at least 4 Gig Ram and a 500 Gig HDD I dont understand all the new prcessor numbers being thrown about at the mo Iknow i3 and i 7 but not the rest
Geo

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
oh well, cannot help as Mac's to expensive

Sorry cannot help.. Mac's are a lot more expensive but more stable. ..

I have cheaper Dells's, but I end up on my MacBook Pro or my iPad..... different world.

Plenty of cheap ones at P C world or even Argos.

Bob

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Geo, steph has a Medion (Aldi) running on an i3.
I have a Toshiba running on an i7.
Both are great. Have a look at HP we had had them in past and were pleased with them.
500gig hard drive is ok cos you can always buy an external drive they are cheap.
RAM is important 2gig minimum preferably 4gig.
An nvidea or Radeon graphics card is always good.
Also bear in mind in my experience do not go for the cheapest I will bet my life on the fact that if it is "slow" 3 months down the line he will get frustrated with it. he he
::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We both have HP G62 laptops. They have been hammered night and day (literally) since September 2010, never missed a beat ... :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Look at what your local PC World and Comet have in the end of line offer section as they'll probably have big discounts and eat the type of use your BiL wants to put it to.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

second that..

Dell ..

check the Dell Outlet for refurbished.. some great deals .. refurbished may only be a scratch or dent... come with full warranty and same conditions as new.

I got one for under £400 ..

Inspiron N5110
i7 Processor
650gb hard drive
6gig ram

So good I also bought a similar spec one for Jan .. under £300

Jan's old Dell .. circa 2006 is still going strong, put Windows7 on it for Chaz to use. . so it has outlasted my Mac...( see below)

Bob..

I was loyal to Macs for donkeys years .. first one was running OS9 .. both my recent Macs, a top of the range 17" Powerbook bought in 2006 and a 14" iBook 2004 went belly up and the cost of the parts to repair wasn't worth it .. they did well.. but not outstanding.

Macs are good, and well made but a similar spec Mac to my Dell would be in excess of £1500 .. how can that be justified ?

Vista was/is a pile of poo .. but W7 is great .. as good as OS X ... if not better..

So while I would like a Mac I can never see me owning another.. they didn't last any longer than an average laptop.. so there is no incentive to buy..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back