Help, mains charging ...

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by St.Cyr, Nov 1, 2009.

1. St.Cyr

St.Cyr Read Only Funster

Hi. We have an 80w solar-panel charging 2 leisure batteries. (Starter batteries NOT connected to solar-panel) - If we wanted to charge-up the batteries with a mains charger, at home, would we have to disconnect the panel while using the mains charger? Thanks for any advice! :thumb:

2. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

No, your van should be wired so that when you are on hook up [ mains connection ] your batteries [ALL] should be charged from your on board battery charger and when fully charged the charger will be turned off automatically and solar panel should have a regulator to stop any more charge reaching batteries until required.:thumb::thumb: on some vans ,and my ex Eura Mobil was one ,you could switch the battery charger manually,but on my present Hymer all is automatic.:thumb::thumb:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

No, you can charge your batteries from any source, simultaniously.:thumb:

4. St.Cyr

St.Cyr Read Only Funster

Thanks!! :thumb:

5. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

St.Cyr, you don't say whether your conversion is wired as per a modern motorhome (when the above advice applies) or if you intend just connecting a free standing charger to your battery.
    Depending on the make/wiring of your solar panels there could be issues with the latter method.
    If in doubt consult your solar panel instructions.

6. St.Cyr

St.Cyr Read Only Funster

Hi. As far as I can see the solar-panel just charges the 2 leisure batteries. It has not been altered at all since we acquired the van ... Was just wanting to check that I wouldn't damage the solar gubbins by charging with a normal mains charger - thought may be best to disconnect the solar panel while using the charger ... Not having done the conversion ourselves it's taking a while to suss out the electrics!

Thanks for all the help so far!! :thumb:

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

my 120w panel is connected to the mains charger output (12v) wires and i dont disconnect the panel when on hookup.

cant see any difference between a standalone charger and the onboard mains charger as the solar panel will have a blocking diode (possibly 2) to stop any current returning to the panel.

8. St.Cyr

St.Cyr Read Only Funster

Thanks very much for the help! Just wanted to charge up the leisure batteries with a mains charger - to help out the solar-panel while the days are short and dull, without blowing anything up! Obviously we could disconnect the s/p while using the stand alone charger - presumably when it's reconnected it'll just resume working as normal ... ?

:Smile:

9. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: NO. I have been doing just that for the last 2 days bringing my batteries back up to full charge so I can then equalize them with the Solar Controller. :thumb:

10. St.Cyr

St.Cyr Read Only Funster

Thanks, that's reassuring. :thumb: