Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Just a long shot to see if anyone can help.
The lock on my Hab. door is jammed, when I insert the key, it will not turn either way.
I can operate the door from the inside, no problem.
The back of the door looks to be a sealed unit with only direct access to the holding bolts at the top and bottom of the door.
I am off to Spain on Tuesday so in a panic.
Only solution at the moment is to lock the door from the inside and exit via the cab.
Fingers crossed.
Malc:Angry:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Or graphite powder, from a good hardware shop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Agree with PaulyP,
a bit of WD40/GT85 and she'll be as good as new,,,,,, unless it's something mechanical gone fubar.

Usually just road grime and water sticking things up.

Trikeman.:winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Just a long shot to see if anyone can help.
The lock on my Hab. door is jammed, when I insert the key, it will not turn either way.
I can operate the door from the inside, no problem.
The back of the door looks to be a sealed unit with only direct access to the holding bolts at the top and bottom of the door.
I am off to Spain on Tuesday so in a panic.
Only solution at the moment is to lock the door from the inside and exit via the cab.
Fingers crossed.
Malc:Angry:

Malc...this is just a thought...if the lock has just stopped without any prior signs resistance ...are you an area where children may squeeze superglue in the lock for devilment:Doh: other than that yes wd40...or the lock may be broken inside the barrel

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
BIG HAMMER. BUSBY:roflmto:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Malc...this is just a thought...if the lock has just stopped without any prior signs resistance ...are you an area where children may squeeze superglue in the lock for devilment:Doh: other than that yes wd40...or the lock may be broken inside the barrel

Jesus, those French kids must get into some sticky situations ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlad

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Jesus, those French kids must get into some sticky situations ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlad

It was just a thought Vlad....as the 5th of November Guy Faulks/Bonfire night.. had been moved forward/backwards.. to around the 2nd.. so the fires could be lit at the week end...
So has the Mischief Night been moved on again...as it was originally May Day....then it was moved to 4 November, the night before Guy Fawkes Night. .....I was just checking...... has it been moved again to today when Malc found his lock jammed solid:Doh:

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Do not use WD40 on locks as it sets and the lock will probably jam up even more.
Use a Silicon or graphite based product.

Mike

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
GT85 and a little red straw. :thumb:

However, the lock jamming could be caused by a mechanical linkage failing or becoming jammed itself.

Regards,

Jock.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Do not use WD40 on locks as it sets and the lock will probably jam up even more.
Use a Silicon or graphite based product.

Mike

Fair comment, silicon or graphite for lubrication but if the lock is already sticky or seized WD40 is what you need to free it off, nothing better:thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Not teaching you to suck eggs but are you using the correct key?

Because i have quite a few keys on my keyring I have inserted the wrong one on a couple of occasions.

Just a thought.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
WD 40... I love the stuff..
Over the years I reckon it has earned me an absolute fortune after folk have used it and completely screwed things up..

WD should NOT be used on anything electrical ( after a few weeks it starts to ABSORB water not repel it ).

WD is excellent for cleaning plastic things, quite good to spray on cuts and indeed cleaning other stuff PROVIDING ONCE THE CLEANING IS DONE THE WD IS WIPED OFF COMPLETELY.

As mentioned, graphite powder on locks..
Any sort of liquid will be a stored up problem.. **

I would remove the lock from the door
Lay lock on table and squirt graphite in to the key hole.
Use the key to spread it about

**Any sort of liquid used on an outside lock will cause a problem further down the road.
It will collect all the road dust and clog the darned thing up even worse as time goes by

If you DO have to resort to some sort of liquid, do try and get it completely dried out out when your done :thumb:

OP
OP
malheg

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Lock

Thanks for the reply.
I do not think it is vandalism as we live miles from anywhere.
Tried WD40 & graphite, no luck.

Malc:Sad:

OP
OP
malheg

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Lock

Not teaching you to suck eggs but are you using the correct key?

Because i have quite a few keys on my keyring I have inserted the wrong one on a couple of occasions.

Just a thought.

Thanks, but only one key on my key ring.
Malc

OP
OP
malheg

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Lock

WD 40... I love the stuff..
Over the years I reckon it has earned me an absolute fortune after folk have used it and completely screwed things up..

WD should NOT be used on anything electrical ( after a few weeks it starts to ABSORB water not repel it ).

WD is excellent for cleaning plastic things, quite good to spray on cuts and indeed cleaning other stuff PROVIDING ONCE THE CLEANING IS DONE THE WD IS WIPED OFF COMPLETELY.

As mentioned, graphite powder on locks..
Any sort of liquid will be a stored up problem.. **

I would remove the lock from the door
Lay lock on table and squirt graphite in to the key hole.
Use the key to spread it about

**Any sort of liquid used on an outside lock will cause a problem further down the road.
It will collect all the road dust and clog the darned thing up even worse as time goes by

If you DO have to resort to some sort of liquid, do try and get it completely dried out out when your done :thumb:

That's my problem is getting access to the lock. The door seems a sealed unit.
But there must be a way.
Malc

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sounds more mechanical I am afraid
First thing to try would be putting the key in and tapping it lightly and repeatedly whilst applying a small ( SMALL ! ) amount of turn pressure.. Might work..

spotsy

Free Member
May 29, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004
Hab. Door lock

Hi, I had a similar problem a while back with the lock on my door.Unfortunately for me the lock had broken inside and had to change the complete handle and barrel.This might not be your case though, the only way to find out is to remove the handle and examine the lock barrel and pray lubrication is all that is needed.I had a chat with the guy on following link.Hope this helps.http://caravan-parts.store.buegle.c...n-door-lock-motorhome-doorlock-/?k=:::3144436

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi, has it got (or had) central locking?

Seen it on AT where the central locking in the door went fubar and stopped the mechanism turning from the outside, but left the inside handle working.

If it has central locking may be an idea to try the front door locks, on off, on off may help.

Disassembly was the only way out in the end - new actuator/wire and job done.

Hope it helps,

Trikeman.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back