Help! Leak Between Two Flat Roof Panels

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by MotorizedHouse, May 3, 2015.

1. MotorizedHouse

MotorizedHouse Read Only Funster

Hi all, bit rude of me posting without introducing myself so forgive me.

I'm looking for some wisdom here if it could be spared. I've been battling a relatively small leak for a bit. This time it's won. I've tried Sikaflex 512 and Isoflex Rubber roof but both repairs seem to give way in due time.

You see, there is a gutter or gap where two aluminium roof sheets join. I have tried filling them with the named products above but the repair doesn't seem to last long. Both times I properly prepared the surface (white/purp spirits)

No joy. I think part of the reason for this is that gutter is to allow some flex and movement so anything I put in there would be subject to intense movement from the two roof panels. What can I do? Mind you I'm considering to have this professionally resolved and there's a place down the road from me that specializes in american style RV bus thingies, maybe they could help.

Here's a picture I put together in a jiffy.

http://i.imgur.com/FulGpCG.png

2. B-well

B-well Funster

found this article. ukcampsite.co.uk i would recommend W4 roll mastic for rails , have a look here http://www.wizard41.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/caravan-resealing.htm , Sikaflex can also be used , i used it on my rails just to be extra fussy and get a nice finish . I did use it on lots of other fittings where roll mastic would have been difficult to use .
    NEVER use silicone sealant for resealing caravans .
    When removing rails take extra care as they can be very easily bent , you must remove all screws first , don't try to pull out a screw with the rail , if the screw head is chewed up use a dremel cutting tool and cut a slit across the end of the screw , then undo with a flat blade screwdriver . Sikaflex may be difficult to remove if you want to remove the rails at a later date and reseal them properly .

I hope this info helps

3. MotorizedHouse

MotorizedHouse Read Only Funster

Hey thanks for taking the time.

Its actually not a rail of any sort, its literally just a point where the two roof sheets meet. I'm sure when they joined the two up they bunged some sort of non drying mastic inside where I can't get to without taking the whole roof apart. Well 25 years later...oops. No warranty on this!

4. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

Hi welcome

Having tried a few times I would consider calling Motorhome Medics (is this who you mean) for advice support.

There are also other very good RV repairers that are able to assist, although I am sure there are motorhome repairers that can advise

5. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

IF it were mine---------I would get some DICOR and put a strip of ally at least 4" wide and 1mm thick across the split, if it looks like there is timber underneath I would screw with SS screws , AND cover all screws with more dicor ---available at RV spares places like Star Spangled Spanner.--------I suspect that there is some movement between the two panels which is causing the split-----Sikaflex SHOULD have stopped it leaking.
    Nigel