LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Looking for some advice. I downloaded lastpass as recommended on here, but I think I inadvertantly clicked on the wrong thing first time. Now every time I open google chrome the first page is called doku. if i open a new tab next to it i can then get chrome, and it is all normal. However, i get random tabs opening up encouraging me to download various things, adobe today, or saying that a threat has been detected.:Eeek::cry:
What would you recommend I do. I have tried running my anti virus software but it isnt finding it. Do I need to take the laptop to a shop, or can I download a programme to search and destroy? I have McAfee, but they charge £60 to help remove a virus.

I have an Acer laptop running Windows 7 home premium, if that is relevant.

thanks in advance,

Karen

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Malwarebytes, its free and will rid you of most spyware. I use the paid for version, that means its working real time side by side with your anti-virus software. Its saves me regularly and I thoroughly recommend it http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi I tried spybot, but it did the full scan in 2 seconds, something not right there. Probabyly my fault.
I have invested in Malware, and am running it as we speak. It has identified one risk, so looking hopeful.

Thanks all for your fast response. I will update whether it worked.

MadMerv

Free Member
Jun 23, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Also check to see if its saved that page as chrome startup page, if so go into settings and change it back to google or whatever.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi I tried spybot, but it did the full scan in 2 seconds, something not right there. Probabyly my fault.
I have invested in Malware, and am running it as we speak. It has identified one risk, so looking hopeful.

Thanks all for your fast response. I will update whether it worked.
the initial scan is prior to full installation and as you say a quick one Never mind malware bytes will do the job

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
You may find issues opening hyperlinks in Windows if you uninstall Chrome. I had hat problem, there is something that Chrome does that is not uninstalled properly.

Malware bytes for me also..

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
My Dad has a problem with his computer, every time he tries to log on to get his webmail, he gets a pop up that says he has to take a survey. There is no way to get past this and he hasn't taken the survey, thank goodness, or who knows what he would end up installing.
I recommended Malwarebytes and he installed it and ran it.
It found over 1200 problems and fixed them all. He says the computer now runs so much faster and he has gained 3gb of disc space.
Didn't get rid of the survey pop up, so I will have to look elsewhere, Malwarebytes certainly did sort out everything else though. Well worth a try.
Allan

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My Dad has a problem with his computer, every time he tries to log on to get his webmail, he gets a pop up that says he has to take a survey. There is no way to get past this and he hasn't taken the survey, thank goodness, or who knows what he would end up installing.
I recommended Malwarebytes and he installed it and ran it.
It found over 1200 problems and fixed them all. He says the computer now runs so much faster and he has gained 3gb of disc space.
Didn't get rid of the survey pop up, so I will have to look elsewhere, Malwarebytes certainly did sort out everything else though. Well worth a try.
Allan

Whats the name of the popup?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Not sure, it apparently just says Visitor survey, but my dad is 90 and hasnt got the hang of remembering what it is before he shuts the browser down. I am going round next week to sort it out. It seems like it could be a TalkTalk survey, I know they are a nuisance for interfering with what you are doing, but it could be the Global Visitor Survey malware.

Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back