Help! I've bought a campervan, but...

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by SouthCoastSteve, Oct 12, 2015.

1. SouthCoastSteve

SouthCoastSteve Read Only Funster

...I have no idea what I'm doing!

Through a bit of a fluke I find that I'm now a surprised, but proud owner of a campervan. It's quite big, being a 7-berther, but not so big that I'm worried about driving it.

It's a Ford Transit-based Grand Duke Pegasus 622 – a type that seems elusive to find out anything about. Perhaps it should have been called a Unicorn?... It is an Italian import from 2002, although it was built in 1993. Very low mileage at only 60k miles and generally good condition for its age.

However, and this is where I need as much help as possible, I have no idea how to operate the various bits and pieces. It has an LPG tank for the heating, cooking and refrigeration gas supplies, and a leisure battery (which I can't find) for the electrical side of things. It has clean and grey water tanks (somewhere...) and a cassette toilet.

I'll try to post some pictures of the controls and appliances so you can get an idea of what I'm struggling with. It would be great to get to know everything so I can take her out for school half term in a couple weeks. Any help would be very gratefully received.

Steve

Here she is
    van.JPG

The control panel (in Italian...)
    control panel.JPG

Some stopcocks in a cupboard
    stopcocks.JPG

Central heating and hot water I presume?
    central heating.JPG

The fridge
    fridge.JPG

And finally, the heater
    heater.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. f6c

f6c Funster

Welcome aboard;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Where on the south coast are you?

4. SouthCoastSteve

Thanks f6c, glad to be here!

Big Map, I'm in Hove.

5. chaser

chaser Funster

Can't help with anything specific but most of what you've got there is common to hundreds of different vans

6. SouthCoastSteve

Thanks Chaser, that's good to know. How do I turn it all on?

7. Baycott

Baycott Funster

We are in Normans Bay, Eastbourne and would be happy to help if I can.
    2 heads are always better than one in these circumstances (y)

Welcome by the way (y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 9
  8. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

That is because it is a Granduca Pegaso 622. :D Here

https://www.google.es/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=granduca pegaso 622

Gas tap with water tap on is for the hot water. To operate turn on gas valve & put on/offswitch/thermostat to either 50º or 70 º-
    The fire , turn on gas valve in cupboard. turn top right knob around towards 10( maximum) & hold down whilst pressing piezo igniter on the left. They usually light instantly.

Can't make out pictures on other gas valves but one would be for fridge , one for gas fire ,one for the cooker hob/oven if installed & the one with tap for the hot water.
    To find out which is cooker turn on one of cooker knobs whilst opening the valves in cupboard one by one. With a full gas bottle of course .:LOL:
    Do same for gas fire . Water we've worked out so last will be fridge.

• Like Like x 5
  9. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Too far away from us otherwise would have been happy to help

• Like Like x 2
  10. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

P.S. The gas valves are all in the off position as shown in your photo. On is when in line with pipe they are feeding.
    I think third from left is fridge as the picture looks like a snowflake. Can't make out others.

• Like Like x 1
  11. klaatu

klaatu Funster

Just to confirm, gas taps are (from L to R): heating, hot water, fridge, cooker.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Welcome to the forum. Your Motorhome looks really nice & I'm sure you'll soon get to grips with it.

Robert.

• Like Like x 1
  13. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Your leisure battery may be under the driving or passenger seat.
    Dave.

14. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Surely it's Hove-Actually

I used to live on Kingsway, and always had to tell people I lived in Brighton, well Hove Actually...

Good luck with the MoHo, I have pretty much the same fittings in my old Hymer, if I can get them to work I'll share the secrets...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello Welcome to Fun, just be aware that you only have 5 free posts, after that you will not be able to post until you become a full member £15 a year, well worth it for advice discounts and rallies. :welc:

• Like Like x 1
  16. SouthCoastSteve

Thank you John, that's a really nice offer that I may take you up on. Happy to make tea all day while you show me around the van!

Yes, sorry about that, it was my translation from Italian to English, but I still can't actually find any information – only a few pictures and a few vans for sale.

Aha, so all those stopcocks are for the gas supply to various appliances? That's a huge move forward, thanks! Does the water heater have a separate boiler to the fire and the central heating? It seems like a lot of boilers to me. Could there be a back boiler type of arrangement to the fire, like in my old house?

I would really appreciate that, thanks!

In summary then, we've cleared up the stopcocks picture (BIG help!), the thermostats and the fire. I'd really like some help with that control panel – it looks complicated. Also, how to turn on and operate the fridge – it's supposed to work on 12V, 240V and gas, but how do you switch it on and select between them, and how do you choose which is the best option to use?

Also, the chap told me there's no water in it – so how do I fill it up and how do I know how much is in the tank? There are two tanks, one for fresh water and one for grey (I'm guessing the grey water is the water that goes down the sink and shower?). And how do I empty them when I'm packing up for the winter or on my way home? The toilet seems simple enough, but I may replace the whole bathroom – are there any companies that do this?

Once again, thank you all very much.
    Steve

17. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

:welc:

Nice MoHo

18. GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

When we got our first MH we bought a Haynes manual. It is called

"Motorcaravan Manual: Choosing, Using and Maintaining Your Motorcaravan"

It is very useful when you are just starting out as it has guides on use and maintenance including winter preparation etc.

Jen

• Like Like x 1
  19. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Yes, in the picture you have them both switched off. The top one is hot water, I'd use 50 degrees, unless you want to boil your skin off in the shower!
    The bottom one is the blown air system. flick the switch to the top, and the dial controls the speed. If you flick it down to the 'A' setting, then the dial is thermostatic. When a temperature is reached, the fans will slow down and eventually stop. You do of course have to light the heater first, there will be a dial on the right hand side. Turn it to full, then push the knob down, you will hear it ticking, and eventually it will light. Assuming you have some gas! :D

20. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Oh, and on your control panel, the switches look like they control, left to right:
    Cabin lights, Blown air fan, Water pump and master power (12v)
    You also have battery level meter, water level (far right) not sure about the water switch one, maybe that is a frost protect?