Help installing Solar Panel - Globescout (1 Viewer)

Johnsonar

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globescout
Exp
Since 2005
Hello,

I am new to the site but not to the motorhome life! I have recently taken the plunge to install a solar panel on the roof of my 2009 LHD Globescout (Citroen Jumper) and just want to know if there is anyone out there who has done the same or on an equivalent vehicle.

Basically I would like to know the best routing to bring the panel cable into the van. I intend to fit the control unit under the rear seats if possible.

Thanks very much

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I have just fitted a solar panal to my Sussex duo. It took me longer to work out where to put the wiring than to fit it .
Take your time and you will work it out .
Fitting the control unit under the rear seat may not be a good idea as it is good to have a look now and again to check the state of charge
I got all the bits for my 100 amp panal from eBay total cost. £140
Best of luck
Chrisboyo

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
looking at some pictures of the globescout i would look at coming into the cupboard above the fridge from the roof then route from there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi
I previousely had a panel van and fitted a automatic satellite, I found the best route into the van was via the rear doors,take of the inside panel and the top section of the door is single skinned.
I then drilled a hole large enough to take an electrical rubber grommet then fed the cable through and into one of the upper cupboards,leaving enough slack on the cable should I need to open the door,hope that helps.:thumb:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hi Johnsonar I had one of the old status flying saucer type aerials ,and it was as much use as a fart in a parfmeri I removed this and put a blanking plate on the roof which was above the wardrobe. I then found a local and very helpfull FUNSTER who I assisted in fitting my panels
We fitted the pannels on the roof and routed the cables through the blank and hid the solar controller in the wardrobe,we then went under the seats to the leisure batteries.
Hope this helps Vlad .

OP
OP
J

Johnsonar

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globescout
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the replies.

As far as fitting the control unit under the seat it is the only place to take the battery connections from as the mains charger is under there. There is also a remote display unit so its ok.

I have looked at the rear panel option and coming in above the fridge but its not so easy to get the cable back to the controller. I was hoping to come in down the bulkhead covers but that seems like a no go as well.

Maybe I will look at the Vlad's option again tomorrow. If the snow stops!!

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never went near the mains charger !!!
Solar panel
Solar controller
Leisure batteries.

OP
OP
J

Johnsonar

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globescout
Exp
Since 2005
No. Thats just where the feeds from the batteries are. I have a dual controller for the panel and I can tap in there to feed the leisure and cab batteries. Its also out of the way under there.

Thanks

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Then go for it,
I bought 2 110 amp batts and 2 90 wat solar pannels off eBay, a solar controller,then I found a friendly FUNSTER to show me how to fit them.
Never had to be on hook up since, saves money on campsites and opens up the door to wild camping opportunities .
By the way the same equipment fitted by a "A PROFESSIONAL INSTALLER" would have cost £600 ish more!

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

installed mine last year; 100 W panel, regulator etc. Quite an easy straight forward job for any one who is a basic DIYer. Routing the cables is the most problematic and just requires careful thought.

I came down early with the cables (less on the roof) but in hindsight, I think the more cable you have on the roof the easier. Running cables under the van is not easy and I feel more prone to damage. The stickyback cable tie blocks and cable ties are very good and cheap so you can overuse for safety if you wish. If you re unable to find a suitable down run then the white plastic trunking would do the job; not ideal but if is a last resort.

J

OP
OP
J

Johnsonar

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globescout
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks all. I will start looking at it over this weekend. Like everyone says bringing the cable in seems to be the most difficult issue and I was just hoping someone had the sam layout van that had already installed one.

Vlad I was given two quotes from so called professionals. One was £620 and one was close to £800! I picked up a better panel than what they were offering, dual controller and all the parts for £240. That has to be worth trying to instal it myself :Smile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
why not fit a socket on the side of the van low down and leave the cables coiled up on the roof whilst travelling and plug them in when on site/parked up.

the D shaped self adhesive conduit can be a way of getting from up top to down bottom and can be painted the same colour as the van before fixing on, that way it just looks like it has always been fitted and is meant to be there the best place for that idea is at the side of the fridge vents.

incidentally i have a satellite cable and a tv aerial cable run this way to the external input point on the side of the van ( as i didn't want holes in the roof ).

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I fitted mine last year and took the cable's down a 10mm hole in the roof into the back of one of my side cabinets, the cable then runs along the back of the cabinets to the front of the van and down to my battery under the drivers seat:thumb:

When I had finished mucking around with the cables, I sealed the hole with sikaflex and finished it off with a cable entry gland (don't forget to put that on the cable's first:Doh:) There is no need to be afraid to drill holes as long as its done right.:thumb:

Current thinking seems to be that the controller is best to be as close to the battery as poss:thumb:

OP
OP
J

Johnsonar

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globescout
Exp
Since 2005
Just an update to say that I wired the leisure and cab batteries up today and fitted the controller. I brought the main cable in at the front of the roof above the passenger seat (LHD) and run the cable across the small storage above the front seats and down the bulkhead cover to under the rear seats. Turned out really well.

Will fit the panel tomorrow and hope for the best ::bigsmile:

Thanks for all the advice and help.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Johnsonar.......................

Looks like you'll have to cough up a tenner soon :whatthe:

:Smile:

JRE

Free Member
Jan 27, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Fitted a solar panel to my Jazz, Peugeot Boxer, last year and in the process, because of the roof construction, had to look at a number of aspects when considering which panel and how it should be fitted.
Because the roof is ribbed, and I didn't want to screw any fixings into the roof, I had to source a panel of suitable dimensions and select supports which would provide adequate area for gluing.
As afr as connections, Swift had kindly provided a connection point to the installed PSU in the roof of the wardrobe. All I had to do was drill a hole and provide suitable protection to the cable entry.
If I can find out how I will attach a photo of the finished item. Also if you let me have your e-mail add. I will send you the draft of the article I prepared for publication.

Attachments

• Finished bw.jpg
    Finished bw.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 74

JRE

Free Member
Jan 27, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2009
New to this, Just found page 2!. Looks like you've fitted it already.

Wombwell

Free Member
Jun 4, 2018
Funster No
Thinking of fitting solar panel to my Autocruise Jazz. I have located the connection point in the wardrobe. How did you fit yours JRE...Do i need to fit a regulator there or does the psu look after everything.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the controller can go anywhere on the run you just need to plan a route from panel to battery tall floor to ceiling unit are always a good starting point

Wombwell

Free Member
Jun 4, 2018
Funster No
Thanks for the advice but my question was specific in regards an autocruise jazz. There is a built in connection point in the wardrobe for a solar panel. This lead goes direct to the EC400 psu. I need to know if i need to fit a regulator between the solar panel and this connection or if the psu handles everything.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We fitted ours straight behind the roof window and routed the cables through a hole we drilled in the side of the roof window frame then down through the overcab locker to the seat.
No cables either inside or outside are visible. Plus it was really easy.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for the advice but my question was specific in regards an autocruise jazz. There is a built in connection point in the wardrobe for a solar panel. This lead goes direct to the EC400 psu. I need to know if i need to fit a regulator between the solar panel and this connection or if the psu handles everything.
You will need a regulator AFAIK as PSUs don't normally have anything built in for them especially since the regulator is normally chosen depending on the size of the panel input.

Wombwell

Free Member
Jun 4, 2018
Funster No
Thanks all for your advice its much appreciated. I'm much clearer on what i need to do now

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just had a quick look at Sargent's schematics for 2010 Swift (Autocruise) MHs and the solar regulator is shown as an option and separate from the PSU on Page 7 so I would think this is the case with them all therefore you'll need one:

file:///C:/Users/melly/Downloads/Motorhome-2010-schematic-1.1.pdf

upload_2018-6-5_9-50-44.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What size solar are you putting on?

Wombwell

Free Member
Jun 4, 2018
Funster No
Not sure as to 100 or 150. I have a portable 40w one at the moment which works well but i wanted something fixed and permanent.

JRE

Free Member
Jan 27, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Having fitted a 80W SP to my Jazz I can offer the following.
My cable entry from the SP was through the roof via a cable entry box. (See photo)
Locate a spot near to the Sargeant conection, in plastic cover in the top of the wardrobe, for the cable entry so you can find the cable when you pass it thro' the roof..
You wil need a regulator between the SP and the Sargeant connection.
I routed my cables round the wardrobe and fitted the original regulator on the outside, over the seats, so that I could see it.
However I have now upgraded the supplied regulator to squeeze a bit ampre out of the SP in order to maintain the voltage in the batteries (2) in order to run the b****y compressor fridge. A curse for all wild campers.
The regulator I've fitted is a Photonic Universe 10A MPPT obtained thro' Amazon at £59.99. This resulted in an immediately noticeable increase in the output from the SP.
Unfortunately, because the new unit is bigger than the original I've had to fit it inside the wardrobe as I didn't want the add extensions to the wiring. I now need a mirror and a torch to read the LCD display ...
As for fixing the panel to the roof I've had no problems with the glue, even for the cable entry. (See photos)
However I made the mistake of bolting the panel to the carriers before I fitted it as I was concerned about the reaction between the galvanised screws and the ali panel. Now I will never be able get it off as I cannot reach the nuts to undo them ........ But SPs are supposed to last 25 years, aren't they?
I trust that this will be of help.

Attachments

• Cable entry bw.jpg
    Cable entry bw.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Finished bw.jpg
    Finished bw.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 36

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun