Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
After some help if possible please.
We are in Freiburg at the minute and a power steering pipe has broken. It's one that runs along steering rack. Ducato 2.8jtd 2004. It's the longer of the two.
Trying to source one nearby. Been to local Fiat agent but he says no longer available. New rack €1200 plus.
I can buy both pipes for £25 at home.
If anyone has the time can they have a search for me. I've dodgy Internet connection.
Thanks

Deleted User
I presume that there are firms in Germany such as Pirtek in the UK who will make a replacement flexible pipe using the fittings from the end of your original.

Good suggestions above, they will know where to get this done.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Problem worrying me is if I take it off the ends will break. If I then can't get one made I'm knackered.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The hydraulic companies will be able to fabricate a flexible one in place of the steel one that will enable you to connect it at both ends to the 2 existing flexible ones. Just tie it to the rack using cable ties.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Beat me to it @scotjimland, just looking at those companies now ! Did a quick google search and it's possible that the rack is standard from 2002 to 2011, think the garage are in "cash cow" mode :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Problem I've got is the ends are seized to the pipe so if I undo it the pipe will snap. Don't want to risk it unless I know I can get another.
We have European breakdown cover. What are they likely to do if I ring them ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Problem I've got is the ends are seized to the pipe so if I undo it the pipe will snap. Don't want to risk it unless I know I can get another.
Tow you to a garage who will then charge you anything they like:(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can it be undone right off the pump

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
After some help if possible please.
We are in Freiburg at the minute and a power steering pipe has broken. It's one that runs along steering rack. Ducato 2.8jtd 2004. It's the longer of the two.
Trying to source one nearby. Been to local Fiat agent but he says no longer available. New rack €1200 plus.
I can buy both pipes for £25 at home.
If anyone has the time can they have a search for me. I've dodgy Internet connection.
Thanks
When we needed help in Freiberg 2 years ago we were directed to the Skania garage. They were fantastic. Can't remember the name but ask any of the locals. It was on a small industrial estate near an Aldi if that helps.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
When we needed help in Freiberg 2 years ago we were directed to the Skania garage. They were fantastic. Can't remember the name but ask any of the locals. It was on a small industrial estate near an Aldi if that helps.

Is that Scania has in truck vehicles?

Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Is that Scania has in truck vehicles?
Yes, we had a B774 Hymer on a fiat base and our exhaust snapped. Quoted hundreds of euros in France and a 3 day wait for parts. Hobbled in to Germany and a garage recommended the scania garage. Drove in and fixed as soon as their lunch break was over at less than a quarter of the cost in France. Brilliant guys. I did post the garage name on Fun 2 years ago but can't remember it now.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes, we had a B774 Hymer on a fiat base and our exhaust snapped. Quoted hundreds of euros in France and a 3 day wait for parts. Hobbled in to Germany and a garage recommended the scania garage. Drove in and fixed as soon as their lunch break was over at less than a quarter of the cost in France. Brilliant guys. I did post the garage name on Fun 2 years ago but can't remember it now.

The garage was called August Wisser, Industriestraße 23, 79194 Gundelfingen.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/first-class-service-in-germany.91206/#post-1087269

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Following on from this. If I'm unable to get it fixed does anyone know if the power steering pump runs off its own belt or off main belt ?
If I can't get pipe fixed it could isolate pump and drive with no power steering.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If you drive with no power steering it will be fine over about 20mph, BUT below that you will find it very hard to manoevere , ok steer, the van. Recommend you dont try this.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
I'm strong enough and daft enough to turn the wheel. Don't want to knacker the pump though.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Just an update and thanks to everyone for your help.
Went to Fiat garage this morning first thing.
Recommended to me by @Coolbeanz and I will also recommend them.
Albert Wisser. Just Google them if need be.
Got there at 07.30 and by 8 o'clock van was over pit. They diagnosed same problem but we're concerned if pipe wouldn't undo it would mean a new rack from Italy.
€1200 plus fitting.
Asked about cutting out bad bit but he said jubilee clips wouldn't hold the pressure.
Anyway mechanic set to work and two hours later job done. He fabricated a new pipe and job done.
€191 lighter but could have been a lot worse.
Sat in the sun having a beer so thanks again to everyone.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Result (y) well done!
What a great forum this is. I've not been here that long but everyone just gives their experience and helps out as this post shows.
Well done everyone and @Tom A have a great rest of holiday:)

Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Just an update and thanks to everyone for your help.
Went to Fiat garage this morning first thing.
Recommended to me by @Coolbeanz and I will also recommend them.
Albert Wisser. Just Google them if need be.
Got there at 07.30 and by 8 o'clock van was over pit. They diagnosed same problem but we're concerned if pipe wouldn't undo it would mean a new rack from Italy.
€1200 plus fitting.
Asked about cutting out bad bit but he said jubilee clips wouldn't hold the pressure.
Anyway mechanic set to work and two hours later job done. He fabricated a new pipe and job done.
€191 lighter but could have been a lot worse.
Sat in the sun having a beer so thanks again to everyone.
That's brilliant, have been thinking about you this morning. Enjoy the rest of your trip. (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Result (y) well done!
What a great forum this is. I've not been here that long but everyone just gives their experience and helps out as this post shows.
Well done everyone and @Tom A have a great rest of holiday:)

It's a fantastic forum and the rallies aren't that bad either.
When we were looking for our van one came up for sale on the Isle of Wight. We live near Blackpool. I asked on here if anyone was on Isle of Wight and sure enough @FIDGET and @2spritelyislanders offered there services to view. Turned out van was past its sell by date so saved me a lot of time and money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back