help identifying birds (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We are amazed at all the different we have in our garden here in South Wales......we even have a woodpecker that comes and eats peanuts from the bird feeder which is only a few feet from the kitchen window.
We also have a one legged chaffinch that hops about on the floor under the feeder,

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We also have a one legged chaffinch that hops about on the floor under the feeder

We have a one legged Bullfinch who relies on the other birds dropping seed from the feeder or fat-ball, my wife shouts out "Stumpy's Back." (No disrespect @Stumpy )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We have a one legged Bullfinch who relies on the other birds dropping seed from the feeder or fat-ball, my wife shouts out "Stumpy's Back." (No disrespect @Stumpy )
Max calls ours hoppy::bigsmile:. He also waits for food to be dropped sometimes he does hover at the side of the fat ball cage but majority of the time he waits to be fed

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Saw a Hoopoe when at Ria Formosa in Tavira, Portugal around Christmastime. Got to say, it's a new bird for me. So different.
hoopoe-feature.jpg.824x0_q71_crop-scale.jpg

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Saw a Hoopoe when at Ria Formosa in Tavira, Portugal around Christmastime. Got to say, it's a new bird for me. So different.
hoopoe-feature.jpg.824x0_q71_crop-scale.jpg
Little stunners, aren't they? Is that your photo @emmitdb ?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Used to hear a pair of hoopoes in my fig trees in France, very difficult to see them as the foliage was so dense and a woodpecker I could hear but didn't see either. Had a pair of kites that roosted above my bedroom window, too. Now in Paignton it's just seagulls.......and more seagulls....

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm not sure how many different types of sparrow there are but we seem to have all of them in our garden at the moment - and lots of them. And the yellowhammers are back. Martin said he could hear a woodpecker yesterday.

The blue tits chase them off the feeders though.

I wonder if the tawny owls will be back this year? The young ones like to sit outside my bedroom window (on the cill) and yell for Mum and Dad. It wakes you up with a start! And they just look at me through the window when I go to see what the noise is about.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I wonder if the tawny owls will be back this year? The young ones like to sit outside my bedroom window (on the cill) and yell for Mum and Dad. It wakes you up with a start! And they just look at me through the window when I go to see what the noise is about.
How wonderful!!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How wonderful!!!

The first time or two yes ...... but every night at 2am it gets a bit wearing.

I no longer notice the owls at night (which is sad) as it is a "normal" noise for us. I tend to notice when it isn't there.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Little stunners, aren't they? Is that your photo @emmitdb ?

As the song goes, (By another little stunner)" I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky."

This tells you what our luck is. On the second day of our current hols, the 'Brand Specific' battery on our camera went belly up and despite visiting every camera shop en route, we couldn't get one.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
This tells you what our luck is. On the second day of our current hols, the 'Brand Specific' battery on our camera went belly up and despite visiting every camera shop en route, we couldn't get one.
What a shame! - and what a pain! Are you in one place long enough to get one delivered?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
No we were't. We were given hope by an electronics shop in deepest France (on the way down) but it was a case of 'Not today, maybe tomorrow' In the end we said forget it. I know I can buy one on Fleabay but the vast majority of sellers are from the Far East (No. I don't mean Norwich) and so we couldn't take the risk of hanging around.
Got some nice "This is where we stopped" on the tablet so not all doom and gloom.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
When I was at my son's down in Orpington I looked up at the tree in his back garden and was astonished to see a flock of parrakeets living wild
The london parks are full of them, they make a hell of a din. :) I got one away from a cat, it thanked me by hooking me with his beak....;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back