Help - I know nothing

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by Lot lover, May 25, 2016.

1. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

about solar power, inverters and all that stuff.

We have been informed that the big, flat, black thing a couple of inches above the roof of our MH is a solar panel. It seems to be linked to a small black box with 2 mains outlets and an on/off switch inside one of the cupboards. And it drove madam's hair dryer as a test.

Would some kind person pls explain in words of one syllable or less how it works. I don't really need to know but feel that I should. But presumably it stops working when the sun goes home.

Many thanks

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

1) The solar panel charges the battery
    2) Sounds as if you have an inverter connected to your battery - this takes in 12v and outputs 240v - but only up to the wattage capacity of the inverter.
    There are different types of inverter so it's important to find out which type yours is and what the maximum capacity is. Note that the higher the wattage of the device you are powering, the quicker the inverter will run down the battery!
    I'm sure there will be others along who actually understand these issues!

3. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Doesn't seem that a solar panel is going to run the inverter (the thing that has the sockets on) directly, so there may well be some gubbinz in between.
    A picture of the set up will paint a thousand words

4. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

A picture? I will have to sweet-talk SWMBO as she has the camera and the technical wizardry to publish photos.

Thanks anyway - I am now streets ahead of where I was originally.

p.s. though we have inherited a sackful of bumpf much of it is in languages other than English (French reg MH) and there is nothing for the solar panel anyway.