Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
about solar power, inverters and all that stuff.

We have been informed that the big, flat, black thing a couple of inches above the roof of our MH is a solar panel. It seems to be linked to a small black box with 2 mains outlets and an on/off switch inside one of the cupboards. And it drove madam's hair dryer as a test.

Would some kind person pls explain in words of one syllable or less how it works. I don't really need to know but feel that I should. But presumably it stops working when the sun goes home.

Many thanks

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
1) The solar panel charges the battery
2) Sounds as if you have an inverter connected to your battery - this takes in 12v and outputs 240v - but only up to the wattage capacity of the inverter.
There are different types of inverter so it's important to find out which type yours is and what the maximum capacity is. Note that the higher the wattage of the device you are powering, the quicker the inverter will run down the battery!
I'm sure there will be others along who actually understand these issues!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Doesn't seem that a solar panel is going to run the inverter (the thing that has the sockets on) directly, so there may well be some gubbinz in between.
A picture of the set up will paint a thousand words

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
A picture? I will have to sweet-talk SWMBO as she has the camera and the technical wizardry to publish photos.

Thanks anyway - I am now streets ahead of where I was originally.

p.s. though we have inherited a sackful of bumpf much of it is in languages other than English (French reg MH) and there is nothing for the solar panel anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back