Help,help,help....please

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by hobbynobby, Jul 21, 2011.

1. hobbynobby

hobbynobby Read Only Funster

:Blush::Blush:Hi,we are planning our first trip to France in September and if anyone has got any suggestions then it would be a big help:helpsos:.
    OK,I am being a little dramatic but we really would like to plan a route that does not use the Toll Roads all the time and gives us the chance to use some good sites near to town or villages.
    We initailly thought we would head down to the South of France and visit the popular places like St Tropez,Nice and Cannes but should we avoid them and head for other areas in the South?
    We have a couple of weeks and then we are heading down to Spain to meet some pals so if you have any suggestions for a trip down France then they would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you very much
    hobbynobby:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  2. rob kinnear

rob kinnear Read Only Funster

We went to Salou last year on our first big trip told tom tom no tolls and tom tom did the rest and we went to some fantastic towns and villages on the way down and did the same on the way back via Andorra. absolute dream of a journey. Others with more knowledge of France and Spain will be along soon.
    My wife was worried about facing on coming traffic and said after about a hour she had no worries at all. We had no plans and just stopped at aires that took our fancy on the way.

Rob

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Simples.

Google Maps.

Get Directions.

Options - avoid toll roads.

And a good idea too because French tolls are roughly equal to the cost of fuel.

Via Michelin will give you a route with toll costs but google maps does a superb job, hard or impossible to beat by hand.

Because the Nice/Monaco coast is steep and mega expensive it is not motorhome friendly, limited expensive sites. Try the ACSI site for help or buy the ACSI dvd.

4. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We didn't use one toll road on our 2 months tour round France, we just set the snooper to avoid toll roads and went to some lovely places, we used the acsi sites everywhere and the acsi DVD is brilliant even plotting a route for you, only thing with the acsi is you cannot choose to avoid tolls I dont know why, so had to accept them when planning where to go but relied on the Snooper really, It didnt let us down!!!

Thanks Jim for the info on the costing of tolls, we plan to go as far south in France for the winter and wanted to know the cost of tolls using motorways getting there versus the cost of going through villages.

5. acting_strange

acting_strange

The only advice I can offer is DON'T MENTION AGINCOUR.....:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

DRIVE ON THE LEFTED OR IF LIKE SMUDGER TAKE ALL THE ROOM ON THE ROAD:Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

All the advice about France on here is valid. We had our first trip there in June.
    The most useful advice I had was given on here simply said "France is a doddle." Couldnt agree more.
    Our only plan was to turn right from Calais and head in the general direction of the sun.
    Worked a treat for us.
    Take the ACSI and Aires books with you, listen to advice and you wont go wrong.
    Dont plan too much, France is a big place.
    Crap tea bags, take plenty.
    Enjoy.

8. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Agree with everything that has been said and really must emphasise just how vast a country France is! So don't be too ambitious. Setting the satnav to avoid tolls works a treat. We were a bit confused, however, when we headed toward Honfleur with the intention of crossing Le Pont Normandie. We were being directed away from the area and did not realise why until it dawned on me that the bridge has a toll on it so we had to temporarily remove the toll restriction. Otherwise no problem.
    Wyn

9. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

or joan of arc,,also english bow men :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. Movin' on

Movin' on Read Only Funster

ACSI

I agree with all of the above but most of all "DON'T FORGET TO JOIN A.C.S.I., it will pay for itself after using one or two sites.
    Good luck,
    Adrian.:thumb:

11. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

1..Purchase ACSI Book
    2..Purchase All The Aires Book

Purchase a large Scale road atlas of France..Don't rely on Satnav a large scale map gives you a good overall view of an entire area and sat nav is notorious for going wrong just when you really need it!!

Above all enjoy france it's extremely Motor Home friendly!!

12. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I;m sure you've got them but don't forget your safety items:
    Warning triangle (I carry 2 in case needed on narrow roads)
    1 hi-viz jacket per adult accessible without leaving the vehicle (easy in a m/home)
    Set of bulbs (I drove round for a few years with set of bulbs in glove box--the found out none actually fitted my car!)

Just take a few seconds before pulling out of garages, lay-bys etc... to check you do pull onto the right hand side of the road. Be esp careful if you are coming out of an "exit only" giving you a right and left option--our natural instinct going left is to pull onto the left. nearly done it a couple of times coming out of local DIY store--and I've lived here 4 years.

Some good info is here: http://www.brittany-internet.com/BrittanyNews/DrivingFrance/tabid/155/Default.aspx