help frige not working

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Wildbill, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

my frige has stoped working cheked all the usual thing's is it lighting flue dont know watt is wrong:cry:warm beer all weekend

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  2. geebee

geebee Read Only Funster

and mine!!oh and has anybody adapted there on board water tank to use an ordinary aqua roll as its a pain to have to keep getting a hose to fill up not to bad if your near a fill up point,so I don't know if there was a way of doing a conversion or is there a easy way ?

3. chaser

chaser Funster

Why not just drive to the water point

4. Teepee

Teepee Read Only Funster

Our 3way fridge was working when we got on site one w/end we went for a drive, when we got back to site the fridge would not get cold on either 240 or gas. When I took it to work on the Monday plugged in fridge checked it later it was working. I think it was because the fridge wasn't level, it's been ok since. I make sure we are level now. It might solve your problem, lets hope so.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Or use less water:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

I do have a small submersible pump to pump water from a container into the tank----could do the same with an aqua-roll if you have room to carry on around:Sad:
    Nigel & Pamala

6. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

I have a three way fridge for sale if anyones interested:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. ukbill

ukbill Funster

can a fridge really not work if not on level ground mine dont work sometimes when on gas so maybe thats the problem ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Mine doesn't work if my van's not level. I think it's the older ones that have this design problem.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Thanks for hijacking my thread [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    :cry:

10. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Will turning the fridge upside down work someone has told me this will work
    1 for how long
    2 how long should I leave it before using it [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

11. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Not tried it but have read several times about turning the fridge upside down. It's always "overnight" or "for 24 hours" and then leave it for 24 hours. I also seem to remember that this work for fridges which have been stored not-on-the-level for an extended period.

Probably worth a try if you're able to get the fridge out. I don't think the absorption fridges can be re-gassed (for want of a better word) any more so if the refrigerant has gone then it's probably time for a new fridge. :-(

If it's lighting ok, does the flame stay alight? I did have a dodgy thermocouple which would light at first and then go out. If the gas is staying alight and you're happy that the van is level then that's about the limit of my technical ability :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  12. geebee

geebee Read Only Funster

sorry for that :Wink:

13. Teepee

Teepee Read Only Funster

If not level when on gas the flame does not line up with the thermo thingie can't remember proper name sorry, but anyway the fridge proberbly won't work. When on electric if not level the solution lays to one side needing to much pressure to work it round the system so will not work. That's the theory anyway. Good luck.

14. landscaper

landscaper Funster

We have a 2007 motor home and the fridge will not work unless it is level.

15. BgClick

BgClick Funster

There is a 12 volt outlet by our water inlet so you can use an aqua roll and a 12 volt submersible pump to deliver it into the fixed tank.

There is a water tight cap covering the socket when not in use (which is all the time for us)

16. wasp

wasp Funster

Did you say the gas was lighting cos it could just be crap on the jet, that stops the heat goin up thru the flue.:RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes:

17. wasp

wasp Funster

Buy a waterin can I did after spottin Scotjims post on fillin his RV, works a treat.or buy an aquaro;; an a submersible pump with a 12 volt plug on.The watierng can takes less space.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

18. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

older dometics will not work if more than about 3 degrees out of level later ones its about 6

19. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the fridge used in motorhomes or caravans is extremely simple in the way it operates. a heat source heats up a heat exchanger in the flue and causes the coolant to circulate. any mis alignment will reduce the effectiveness of the fridge as will any soot build up in the flue. similarly a weak flame caused by a part blocked jet will reduce the heat in the flue

providing the heat source is working correctly and is directly below or in contact with the flue, the issue is with the coolant inside the pipes.

turning the fridge over will cause the coolant to run to the other end and hopefully dislodge any sludge or air bubbles or air locks. that's why its recommended if you do invert the fridge you gently rock it occasionally to help the process. then leave to settle for 6 or more hours, prefferably overnight before putting it back upright and allowing to settle before reinstalling and using.

regassing is possible, but finding somebody able and prepared to do so is another matter in the uk. the older fridges use coolants that contain cfc's (chloro-fluoro-carbons) which are no longer used for environmental reasons. rules in other countries are different and therefore it makes finding somebody to regas your fridge easier

dont forget though, that the absorbsion fridge relies on a temperature difference between inside the flue and out and good airflow to work well. in really hot weather they dont work so well, so it can only cool by a few degrees from outside temperatures. its not a fault, its a design weakness caused by basic physics

not trying to baffle anyone with the science so have kept this description very basic so hope it helps

20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i doubt very much that it's the coolant if was working last time out so turning the fridge probably won't do anything but waste your time..

I would go with out of level or dirt/rust in the burner tube theory.

As mitzimad said......3° out of plumb for older ones and 6° for newer ones