Help fridge use on ferry Plymouth -santander (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
To be fair, it is pretty prominently displayed on their website, and I think the windscreen ticket they give to vehicles before boarding.
I just did a sample booking and although it says prominently about not carrying firearms and there is a link for carrying pets, nothing jumped out at me about gas cylinders (except buried in Terms and Conditions: "There is a limit to the quantity of gas cylinders that may be carried, (including medical gas), this may vary by ship, for confirmation and authority to carry any gas cylinders please contact passenger services prior to travel." But I think that relates to transporting 'cargoes' of gas rather than in a motorhome setup). Otherwise it is a question in "Help and Info", not something I browse very often to be honest.

I got to say we'v never been ask in all the years of ferry use! But there again I do look like a very responsible Adult
Phew, thank goodness they don't ask you as well! Not sure we look "responsible adults" though, especially on the early morning crossing...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I think it said it on the windscreen ticket they gave us in Santander, but I agree that it could be easy to overlook. I tend to go over the top reading these things, and common sense kind if kicks in when thinking of gas and any enclosed space

I think the expression responsible adults and motor homes is a bit of an oxymoron when used together. By the time I get to the ferry I am looking the worst for wear and ready to snap at anyone. Thankfully I am Welsh, so they expect no better of me :)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I think it said it on the windscreen ticket they gave us in Santander, but I agree that it could be easy to overlook. I tend to go over the top reading these things, and common sense kind if kicks in when thinking of gas and any enclosed space

I think the expression responsible adults and motor homes is a bit of an oxymoron when used together. By the time I get to the ferry I am looking the worst for wear and ready to snap at anyone. Thankfully I am Welsh, so they expect no better of me :)
You check pyro because you know how sneaky them briefs can be;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I just did a sample booking and although it says prominently about not carrying firearms and there is a link for carrying pets, nothing jumped out at me about gas cylinders (except buried in Terms and Conditions: "There is a limit to the quantity of gas cylinders that may be carried, (including medical gas), this may vary by ship, for confirmation and authority to carry any gas cylinders please contact passenger services prior to travel." But I think that relates to transporting 'cargoes' of gas rather than in a motorhome setup). Otherwise it is a question in "Help and Info", not something I browse very often to be honest.

Phew, thank goodness they don't ask you as well! Not sure we look "responsible adults" though, especially on the early morning crossing...
At Newhaven always get asked "do you have gas cylinders on board and are they turned off."

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You check pyro because you know how sneaky them briefs can be;)
Very true!!
At Newhaven always get asked "do you have gas cylinders on board and are they turned off."
Not being critical of Brittany Ferries, but their announcements on the Pont Aven to Santander are heavily accented and pretty unintelligible. My French isn't brilliant, but I manage to understand that a lot better than their attempts to speak in English, and for all I know they could be calling for everyone to abandon ship

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'm too young to die a horrible lingering death. We upgraded our weight so we could take a full pallet of Heinz baked beans.

And where does the sauce originate from in baked beans,,bit of a clue in tomato ,,BUSBY:LOL::LOL:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Very true!!

Not being critical of Brittany Ferries, but their announcements on the Pont Aven to Santander are heavily accented and pretty unintelligible. My French isn't brilliant, but I manage to understand that a lot better than their attempts to speak in English, and for all I know they could be calling for everyone to abandon ship

Would think that naked flame and a boat load of cars with PETROL tanks would ring a bell,,BUSBY:):)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And where does the sauce originate from in baked beans,,bit of a clue in tomato ,,BUSBY:LOL::LOL:

You're not saying it's foreign are you ? I could not live with that thought. I had baked beans on toast yesterday, I'm sure those were fine British tomatoes.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Just think its common sense,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
You're not saying it's foreign are you ? I could not live with that thought. I had baked beans on toast yesterday, I'm sure those were fine British tomatoes.

Not at this time of the year and shock horror the beans are imported,,Sorry for the shock,,BUSBY:D:D:D

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Would think that naked flame and a boat load of cars with PETROL tanks would ring a bell,,BUSBY:):)

To us, certainly, but the default state of gas cylinders as far as I am concerned is firmly off - unless static and we are using the cooker/fridge in an area where naked flame is safe. As you say, common sense to those of us who have it

Hopefully less well informed people are now well aware of the risks, and it would be graceless to harp on about a message that appears to have been put across

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have always hooked up on board.

I know they now say you can't do this but I am sure that's just the official line.

I just get my wife to ask nicely(y)
I've asked nicely a few times now and the answer was still no. My fridge was completely defrosted when we arrived at Santander but luckily I'd nearly emptied it. I bought stocks in spain.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
the toxic air on a ferry car deck can be explosive. last thing you want is a fire at sea. even if you survive, you will never recover the value of the motorhome. vehicles and goods on a boat are only covered for a few pennies in the pound of value under maritime law. your own insurance will not cover the vehicle whilst on the boat. if you dont believe me, look it up for yourself. always surprises me how so many people dont know this
For many reasons on here, that is why companies using any ferries who transport gas cylinders are not allowed to use passenger ferries.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I've asked nicely a few times now and the answer was still no. My fridge was completely defrosted when we arrived at Santander but luckily I'd nearly emptied it. I bought stocks in spain.

We just present them with the hook up cable and look vacant:D

Perhaps though there has been a change of policy. We were last on the boat in April

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Naked flames and baked beans are a dangerous combination. There is a statement about the maximum amount of beans which can be carried in a vehicle in Brittany Ferries' Terms and Conditions at section 4(iii):

"There is a limit to the quantity of baked beans that may be carried, (including medical beans), this may vary by ship, for confirmation and authority to carry any tins of beans please contact passenger services prior to travel."

Deleted User
For many reasons on here, that is why companies using any ferries who transport gas cylinders are not allowed to use passenger ferries.

How do they get gas cylinders to the Isle of Wight, Scottish Islands, as far as I know there no freight only services or do they run special trips with the passenger ferries?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I cannot speak for Scottish Islands, but here is a quote from Red Funnel - Isle of Wight Ferry
Red Funnel Ferries have considerable experience in handling and shipping dangerous cargoes that are permitted on Passenger Vehicle Ferries

We can legally transport by sea classes 1-9, subject to restrictions, and offer freight-only sailings for prohibited substances such as bulk petrol and propane.

Staff are experienced with the Regulations applying to the movement of dangerous goods by sea and fully qualified DGSA's are employed.

The ferry terminals are spacious with dedicated hard-standing for hazardous loads. Any vehicle that can pass under a motorway bridge can be accommodated. None of the vehicle ferries are fitted with a centre-casing to restrict the manoeuverability of freight vehicles and service reliability and punctuality is unmatched.

To ship dangerous goods by sea we need the following information 24hrs prior to shipment, as this needs to be declared to the Harbour Authorities and cleared for shipment.

• UN Number
  • Class of Goods
  • Net Weight
  • Gross Weight
  • Type of Packaging + Packaging Group
  • Proper Shipping Name
  • Flashpoint (if applicable)
To comply with The Merchant Shipping (Dangerous Goods And Marine Pollutants) Regulations 1990, Dangerous, Toxic and/or Hazardous Loads must be declared at the time of booking and on Consignment Notes completed at check-in. A Dangerous Goods Declaration Note must also be Completed Prior to Shipment.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We just present them with the hook up cable and look vacant:D
Not difficult for you then ... :LOL:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
How do they get gas cylinders to the Isle of Wight, Scottish Islands, as far as I know there no freight only services or do they run special trips with the passenger ferries?
To be fair they probably do use on routes that have no freight only services. I was, although I didn't say, referring to cross channel routes where, I'm the main, they use the Immingham to Zeebrugge. It's probably a population thing. Although the cylinders are inherently safe they aren't allowed on passenger ferries cross channel. Sorry if that confuses. They may transport by plane but those routed I don't know because it's up there.

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Caen-Portsmouth is the easiest route for us by far so we have used that for years. However not always that impressed with Brittany Ferries (that could another VERY lengthy thread!) so could well be something that DFDS do and they don't. But I promise we will turn it off in future even if/when they don't ask.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry for delay in replying but been out of the loop for a few days. Apologies all round and will ALWAYS switch gas off on the ferry in future.

BUT have to say that no one has ever mentioned it at check-in or onboard and just haven't noticed it in any documentation from the ferry company. We've used Brittany Ferries for years, but always with a car until the last year (TBH their email documentation isn't very user friendly, but will look more closely next time).

Thanks for putting it nicely Minxy Girl :) and to everyone for clarifying - just had never given it a thought before. Must do more homework........
At least someone put it nicely. You live and learn (y)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Good to know that not only do they build better Motorhomes over the other side of the channel, they also have better food :rolleyes:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
TOO RIGHT

If you had read the ferry companies T & C you would not need to ask the question. So you are prepared to put at risk the lives of hundreds of people on the ferry just to keep your food & beer cold. It is extremely irresponsible to run a device with a naked flame on a car deck and against maritime regulations also against regulations to board a ferry with your gas bottles turned on.
Nice to see your informative response; helps a lot. Potential newbies will be chomping at the bit Thanks (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back