Help fridge use on ferry Plymouth -santander (1 Viewer)

buzbybench

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20+ years
Hi we are going over to Spain on ferry from Plymouth ! Can anyone advise how we go about keeping good fresh in fridge on 20 hour crossing ? As I will have a full fridge!

Much appreciate any help ! Thanks

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
I came from Portsmouth to Bilbao last year with a full freezer of meat and a fridge full of fresh food. Didn't open the freezer door until on hookup and the meat was still frozen hard.

Didn't put the meat in at room temperature, though, already frozen from home freezer, so the MH freezer didn't have too much work to do.

There was a time when you could ask Brittany Ferries for a hookup (maybe they use them for the fridge lorries) but there are reports about spiking voltage supplies on ships.

So load the freezer with pre-frozen food and don't open the door unnecessarily and you should be OK. My crossing was the 24 hour one, not the 36 hour one that calls in at northern France for a crew change.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Take a couple of freezer blocks (frozen) and stick them in the top shelf of the fridge once your turn it off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just don't open the door once it's switched off and you should be fine.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As others have said contents will survive if you keep the doors closed, I thought you could get a EHU on the Santander ferry if you ask in advance. We never travel from the UK with food in the fridge find the food better on the other side of the channel. Did have a full fridge traveling from Italy to Greece last year there were hook ups on the boat.

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Are you not allowed to leave the fridge running on gas? We always have and no one has ever said anything...

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Fill the fridge and chill it as low as it will go. Don't open the door until after you've got it on again.
You can sometimes get EHU, otherwise switch the fridge off.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
They can get quite grumpy if they notice you are running the fridge on gas on the car deck. :imoutahere:

We use the crossing quite often and just leave the door closed for the journey. We freeze stuff and put it in the fridge and have always had a cold fridge with still frozen food on arrival. (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have always hooked up on board.

I know they now say you can't do this but I am sure that's just the official line.

I just get my wife to ask nicely(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Incoming!
TOO RIGHT

Are you not allowed to leave the fridge running on gas? We always have and no one has ever said anything...
If you had read the ferry companies T & C you would not need to ask the question. So you are prepared to put at risk the lives of hundreds of people on the ferry just to keep your food & beer cold. It is extremely irresponsible to run a device with a naked flame on a car deck and against maritime regulations also against regulations to board a ferry with your gas bottles turned on.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
TOO RIGHT

If you had read the ferry companies T & C you would not need to ask the question. So you are prepared to put at risk the lives of hundreds of people on the ferry just to keep your food & beer cold. It is extremely irresponsible to run a device with a naked flame on a car deck and against maritime regulations also against regulations to board a ferry with your gas bottles turned on.

I believe a ship's master still has the power to jettison any cargo that might put the ship, and it's crew, at risk.
So, if you see a motorhome, with a Fun sticker, bobbing mid Biscay, don't forget to wave. :)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Never, ever, run your fridge on gas on a ferry. This has been well covered in previous posts. Reason? It's dangerous. .

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Turn gas off at the tank/bottle to ensure there is no possibility of a leak. Gas is heavy and will sink into the bilges. If there is enough of it, in the right proportions, it is explosive. You wouldn't want that, would you?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the toxic air on a ferry car deck can be explosive. last thing you want is a fire at sea. even if you survive, you will never recover the value of the motorhome. vehicles and goods on a boat are only covered for a few pennies in the pound of value under maritime law. your own insurance will not cover the vehicle whilst on the boat. if you dont believe me, look it up for yourself. always surprises me how so many people dont know this

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I believe a ship's master still has the power to jettison any cargo that might put the ship, and it's crew, at risk.
So, if you see a motorhome, with a Fun sticker, bobbing mid Biscay, don't forget to wave. :)
I'd chuck the unexploded bomb overboard myself

I sometimes wonder.......

Shakes head sadly

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No.

Turn gas off at the tank/bottle to ensure there is no possibility of a leak. Gas is heavy and will sink into the bilges. If there is enough of it, in the right proportions, it is explosive. You wouldn't want that, would you?
& the same reason why it is totally illegal here to enter an underground car park with gas/gas bottles in a vehicle.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Let me know which ferry you book in future and i will make sure that i am not on it,,,Have you not seen the no smoking signs,,they are nothing to do with lung cancer,,BUSBY:eek::eek::eek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I do hope you don't take umbridge at any of the above postings ... not everyone is fully aware of the dangers of gas ... but please do heed the warnings and don't leave the fridge on in future for your own sake if no-one elses. :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I do hope you don't take umbridge at any of the above postings ... not everyone is fully aware of the dangers of gas ... but please do heed the warnings and don't leave the fridge on in future for your own sake if no-one elses. :)

You are polite and diplomatic Minxy,,,You should be a Diplomat:):) BUSBY,,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You are polite and diplomatic Minxy,,,You should be a Diplomat:):) BUSBY,,
Bog off Busby!!!! No way would I be a diplomat ... having to be 'nice' to all those political idiots ... nah ... I do have my limits you know!

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry for delay in replying but been out of the loop for a few days. Apologies all round and will ALWAYS switch gas off on the ferry in future.

BUT have to say that no one has ever mentioned it at check-in or onboard and just haven't noticed it in any documentation from the ferry company. We've used Brittany Ferries for years, but always with a car until the last year (TBH their email documentation isn't very user friendly, but will look more closely next time).

Thanks for putting it nicely Minxy Girl :) and to everyone for clarifying - just had never given it a thought before. Must do more homework........

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Sorry for delay in replying but been out of the loop for a few days. Apologies all round and will ALWAYS switch gas off on the ferry in future.

BUT have to say that no one has ever mentioned it at check-in or onboard and just haven't noticed it in any documentation from the ferry company. We've used Brittany Ferries for years, but always with a car until the last year (TBH their email documentation isn't very user friendly, but will look more closely next time).

Thanks for putting it nicely Minxy Girl :) and to everyone for clarifying - just had never given it a thought before. Must do more homework........
To be fair, it is pretty prominently displayed on their website, and I think the windscreen ticket they give to vehicles before boarding. At least you know now, and (y) for having the grace to acknowledge your misunderstanding.

My personal view is that the normal state for gas is always off, to be turned on only when static, necessary and safe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back