Help!!! Don't know what to do now. (1 Viewer)

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
So glad all O.K. in the end, enjoy your next trip and may it be the start of many happy motorhome trips.

Good luck

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
For info - if your getting towed off by a tractor where do you attach the tow rope to ? is there a tow eye to use.
Also do tractor drivers expect payment ? Wouldn`t be unreasonable to pay but never having been in that situation (time yet) I`m not sure of protcol
TIA

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
A few years ago on the Thursday before Easter we drove onto a parking field for an orienteering event in, of all places, Spain! During Friday it rained. The organisation banned all vehicles except 4WD from the parking. Unfortunately the 4WD drivers thought it great fun to mess up the parking and eventually created huge furrows. The weather changed during Saturday and Sunday and dried up the field, but unfortunately dried the huge furrows as well. The local owner of the land had great fun towing out all the motorhomes in his brand new (2 day old) tractor, scraping our undercarriage on the bit between the furrows. Martin got a ride in it and was enthralled by all the computers and driving with a joystick instead of a wheel!

Had it not been for the 4WD vehicles the field would have dried out for us to leave under our own steam!

P.s don't ask about Guadalcanal!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks for that both of you but the other question is how to reverse off the ramps backwards up hill. We have milenco quartos with stepped levels.
See if you can borrow two similar ramps and place them in front of yours the opposite way round,,,then drive to the top of yours and then down the borrowed pair but don't drive over them with the other axle,,move them. BUSBY.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Well we are on our way home.

We got off the field quite easily. We put 2 milenco slip mats behind the front wheels, reversed off the ramps onto the mats and waited for the tractor to tow us off the field. What was I stressing about!!!

Thanks for your advice. As you say, we are learning as we go along and we will think before we park up next year.

Glad to hear you've escaped! The Milenco grip mats are great.

The only other time we got stuck was when I accidentally drove off a hardstanding at a French campsite into soft sand. The front end dropped like a stone and the wheels were virtually in up to their axles.

Initially, thought no chance without a tow. But reckoned I'd try the Milenco mats we'd never used in anger, as nothing to lose. Dug some sand out from behind the front wheels, put the Milencos in place and with a few revs managed to my - and the audience watching - amazement, reversed back up onto the hardstanding - phew!

Went to recover the mats - where are they? Completely disappeared - buried in the sand - had to dig them out. But they saved the day, and now carry two pairs 'just in case'. (y)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Good to hear your on your way safe and sound,look at the positives it's all part of the MH experience! You'll be putting this into your repatour of conversations and will be laughing about it amongst friends and fellow MHomers in the very near future.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
And you risk breaking the ramps - as we did. My guider got distracted when directing me up our ramps and I overshot, cracking the front of one of them :(

In our case, the Guider wasn't at fault whatever - it was simply that the DRIVER had totally forgotten that he reversed up the sodding things in the first place - and as the Guider immediately yelled WTF?? at him - it was too late Ethel ! LOL

So one of ours has a rather smart stainless steel reinforcement in the front of it!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Well we are on our way home.

We got off the field quite easily. We put 2 milenco slip mats behind the front wheels, reversed off the ramps onto the mats and waited for the tractor to tow us off the field. What was I stressing about!!!

Thanks for your advice. As you say, we are learning as we go along and we will think before we park up next year.

(y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
In our case, the Guider wasn't at fault whatever - it was simply that the DRIVER had totally forgotten that he reversed up the sodding things in the first place - and as the Guider immediately yelled WTF?? at him - it was too late Ethel ! LOL

So one of ours has a rather smart stainless steel reinforcement in the front of it!

So do we, thanks to @trophychap and his metal working skills :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hee hee ! - I'd forgotten about that! Two matching pairs though the ones we each own, aren't matching pairs! LOL

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Don't even mention the mud at Peterborough in - was it 2012? When I arrived they were towing vans ONTO their pitches...

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We don't do bad weather,,,if forcast is crap we stay at home,,if we are in Europe and its bad we move,,,,BUSBY.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Another tip for escaping from a rally is to borrow an unattended chair or two and lay them under the driving wheels for added grip. :)

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Having got stuck similarly, sur le continent, last year I watched the locals and they all reverse onto their ramps. This I now do too, as you can drive forward off your ramps, keep that initial momentum going to firm ground/road and then stop to recover your ramps. You have to ensure you don't drive over them with your non ramped wheels but I have found this method quite effective.
Don't worry about getting stuck as I alway say there are two types of motorhomers....Those who have got stuck and those who have yet to do so! you are now so experienced. Lol

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
For info - if your getting towed off by a tractor where do you attach the tow rope to ? is there a tow eye to use.
Also do tractor drivers expect payment ? Wouldn`t be unreasonable to pay but never having been in that situation (time yet) I`m not sure of protcol
TIA
There will be either a towing eye somewhere under the front or a small panel you pull away to reveal a threaded socket. In your tool kit you will then find a bar threaded at one end with an eye on the other. That's where you attach the tow rope/strap.
I carry a strap from my trucking days that rolls up better than a road and two horseshoe shackles that go through the eye.
I haven't needed towing yet but a couple or three quid for the driver to get a pint would be my guess.

image.jpeg

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Haha, that picture turned out full size or bigger in fact. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
I agree with mikebeaches, especially rolling off the ramps onto the anti slip mats or whatever. You would probably have to use a little accelerator to get the front wheels over the small scallops on the ramps. Perhaps borrow another set of anti slips to put in front of the wheels once you're off and then let the tick over take you over them and (hopefully) down the hill. Luck!

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
There will be either a towing eye somewhere under the front or a small panel you pull away to reveal a threaded socket. In your tool kit you will then find a bar threaded at one end with an eye on the other. That's where you attach the tow rope/strap.
I carry a strap from my trucking days that rolls up better than a road and two horseshoe shackles that go through the eye.
I haven't needed towing yet but a couple or three quid for the driver to get a pint would be my guess.

View attachment 98850

When I managed to get stuck (the very first time I used the van) it was facing downhill and the access was from the rear. As previously said there is nowhere to hitch on. It took mucho messing about with very large metal ramps (the type used to manoeuvre static caravans into position). After a lot of red in the faceness, high blood pressure and mud all over van we managed. Where would you attach a strap at the rear, bearing in mind there isn't a tow ball?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
When I managed to get stuck (the very first time I used the van) it was facing downhill and the access was from the rear. As previously said there is nowhere to hitch on. It took mucho messing about with very large metal ramps (the type used to manoeuvre static caravans into position). After a lot of red in the faceness, high blood pressure and mud all over van we managed. Where would you attach a strap at the rear, bearing in mind there isn't a tow ball?

If no towing eye i would put in around rear spring hanger,,,very solid,,BUSBY..

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
I did wonder. Had visions of tractor towing a spring hanger and MH still stuck. I suppose a tow rope/strap with a +3.5T limit would do it on my case?

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
depends on how low the spring hangers is , is it below rear skirt , if not it will damage the rear panel

Good point, especially if being towed up a gradient when the two rope would be at a higher angle. I'll need to go and have a look...tomorrow, it's beer o'clock now!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
At Camp de Florence, a few years ago, the ground was saturated so we asked the owners if would be advisable to be towed out rather than spin wheels and create a mess.

He expressed gratitude that we had been so thoughtful and brought his tractor over. I connected up to the towing eye and went to get into the cab. Unfortunately he set off before I was fully in the cab and before I could release the handbrake. Result, two very deep furrows across the pitch which we had tried to protect. Fortunately he realised it was his fault and laughed it off.

It took me almost an hour to get the mud out of the wheel rims, brake calipers etc!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
At Camp de Florence, a few years ago, the ground was saturated so we asked the owners if would be advisable to be towed out rather than spin wheels and create a mess.

He expressed gratitude that we had been so thoughtful and brought his tractor over. I connected up to the towing eye and went to get into the cab. Unfortunately he set off before I was fully in the cab and before I could release the handbrake. Result, two very deep furrows across the pitch which we had tried to protect. Fortunately he realised it was his fault and laughed it off.

It took me almost an hour to get the mud out of the wheel rims, brake calipers etc!

Is that La Romeo (The Cat Village) BUSBY.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Result, two very deep furrows across the pitch which we had tried to protect. Fortunately he realised it was his fault and laughed it off.

We'd just had a large section of the shop floor painted with a two pack epoxy paint over the Christmas shutdown. I was in doing some maintenance work and drove across it with a forklift to drop off a pallet of spares outside an office. I went into the office and the manager made a point of telling me how much the floor had cost to get painted and that I'd better not spin the wheels or brake hard and mark the new surface. I was concentrating that hard under his withering gaze, that I forgot to lift the forks when I set off, good job the painters were still on site :whistle:

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I think we have all had problems with a slippery field at some time, @mikebeaches tale of woe of getting stuck in a car park entrance made me cringe! Its just one of those things with the Ducato we know and love - can get stuck on a blade of damp grass.

Paul

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Is that La Romeo (The Cat Village) BUSBY.
La Romieu, yes.

We loved the village. When we went to the grocers there was no-one to serve us. Then the owner appeared from the bar opposite. He was having a drink while watching the football and going over to his shop if he got a customer. A man happy with his lot!

We had a great time there and almost bought a house before deciding to settle on Burgundy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back