Help! Dometic tec tower oven door. (1 Viewer)

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
We have had trouble with the oven door since we got our Aviano 6 weeks ago. Very stiff to open and today I tried to spray through the slots to lubricate the hinges. On opening and shutting a few times the right hand hinge has now dropped by 1 inch and now door will not shut. I see after searching that the stiff door is a known issue. Does anyone know how to remove the door to access the hinges. Based on previous Dometic issues I would feel happier to look myself first.
Cheers
Bernie

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it is the latest model the with the hinges in the top of the door it looks like a Tec Tower out job to access, so if it's a new van back to the dealer.
Our last van the door dropped (2008 model), on that one the screws that hold the door hinge on screw into a threaded metal plate behind the oven inner side. I fixed it by enlarging the holes in the oven side allowing me to be able to re-position the hinges with a bit more movement to get them lined up. If you need to get hinges off or get at the plates afraid it's a Tec tower out job again - good luck you will need it.

OP
OP
Ber090

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Lenny, Just tried my favoured approach (Brute force!) to most tasks and forced the dropped end back straight and then sprayed white grease into hinge slots. After a few ups and downs the door now moves much more freely and hwmbo can even open and shut it! After reading on tinternet it appears that Dometic do not have a fix apart from replacing hinges each time ( same design hinges) I will spray whenever it starts to become stiff again!
Cheers
Bernie;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Our 2012 tec tower oven door can be taken apart to access the hinge mechanism, a roller moving over an indented tongue. The tongue is fixed to body of oven, the roller and spring is fixed to the door. 2 screws are loosened to allow tabs holding inner glass to rotate letting glass come out. The hinges are held by 2 Allen screws, don't touch them yet. 4 screws, hold outer curved glass in place. But the plastic handle is held by 2 small Phillips self tappers, I removed these but you may only need to loosen them. The 4 larger screws that hold the outer glass can now be removed and outer glass removed. You will see hinge and roller. This is part to be greased if door is stiff.
My problem is door won't fully close, can be pressed in further 5 mm when in shut position. Only cure I can see is to pack hinges out, any other suggestions?
Can't say about earlier models, they may not be the same.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Update to door not closing. At Dusseldorf show got engineer to look, he said new hinges required and if I could stay for 3 days he would get hinges and fit for free! We couldnt stay so asked him to post them, no problem and free of charge too. He said 3 to 5 hours labour.
At home I made a box to go under tower as it slid out. Tower weighs 56kg. From rear disconnected gas to fridge, 12 v control and d+ wires, 12 v element wires and mains supply. At top disconnected gas to oven and 12 v to oven. From inside van removed panel above oven, reached in and unscrewed nut holding vent to roof. Outside on roof removed vent, inside removed ss vent hose from top of oven. Now remove 4 screws holding fridge to carcase. Now slowly pull/push tower unit onto box. At this point I removed the oven from the tower, 3 screws each side.
Steel lid over top of oven removed and hinge screws can be seen. Oven door switch will need to be removed as well. Replacement is reverse of removal. You will need sealant for flue to roof joint. New hinges are modified from old ones. Part number was 105 311 722/0
Also on packet " kit, scharnier,offen ( 2 stuck)"
If you can make tool to compress door springs it may be possible to replace the brass? roller in the hinge which on mine had worn, thus not letting the door close properly. Would save a lot of time.
An aside, the sealant on the roof was quite dry presumably due to heat from the oven, so needed replacing on a 3 year old van, but we do use the oven.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Our oven hinges, which had always been stiff and squeaky, seized earlier this year when we were in Spain. Took it to Caravanas Lorca - 4 hours later they had made and replaced the hinges. It only took this long because they actually made new hinges on site. Cost 40 euros. We hadn't made an appointment and it was a Saturday so well pleased with the effort they made.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Update to door not closing. At Dusseldorf show got engineer to look, he said new hinges required and if I could stay for 3 days he would get hinges and fit for free! We couldnt stay so asked him to post them, no problem and free of charge too. He said 3 to 5 hours labour.
At home I made a box to go under tower as it slid out. Tower weighs 56kg. From rear disconnected gas to fridge, 12 v control and d+ wires, 12 v element wires and mains supply. At top disconnected gas to oven and 12 v to oven. From inside van removed panel above oven, reached in and unscrewed nut holding vent to roof. Outside on roof removed vent, inside removed ss vent hose from top of oven. Now remove 4 screws holding fridge to carcase. Now slowly pull/push tower unit onto box. At this point I removed the oven from the tower, 3 screws each side.
Steel lid over top of oven removed and hinge screws can be seen. Oven door switch will need to be removed as well. Replacement is reverse of removal. You will need sealant for flue to roof joint. New hinges are modified from old ones. Part number was 105 311 722/0
Also on packet " kit, scharnier,offen ( 2 stuck)"
If you can make tool to compress door springs it may be possible to replace the brass? roller in the hinge which on mine had worn, thus not letting the door close properly. Would save a lot of time.
An aside, the sealant on the roof was quite dry presumably due to heat from the oven, so needed replacing on a 3 year old van, but we do use the oven.
I think you may have done it the hard way.
@JonP had the same problem he spoke to Dometic at Dusseldorf they said the Tower had to come out. He went to a Carthago Club meet at Carthago city, they arranged for a mobile engineer to come out, the guy did the job with the tower in place I think it cost €20.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
I think you may have done it the hard way.
@JonP had the same problem he spoke to Dometic at Dusseldorf they said the Tower had to come out. He went to a Carthago Club meet at Carthago city, they arranged for a mobile engineer to come out, the guy did the job with the tower in place I think it cost €20.

If you dont remove it you will have to split the hinge, yes mine was the hard way but at least the hinge was free! As I mentioned if you could compress the spring the brass roller could possibly be changed, I guess that maybe the mobile engineers method. Anyone know where the brass rollers can be obtained?

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I thought I'd make a video of my hinge replacement while the door was in pieces.

It's a very easy job once you know how. The worst bit is the price of the hinges!!!

>> HINGE REPLACEMENT VIDEO <<

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If I could add a little to the You Tube.

In it the OP states (quite rightly) that the torx screws holding the interior glass
frame are difficult to get to and was changing them to Allen key M4's.

When I tried to get to them, I too found that I couldn't get to the bolt head.

I was considering drilling out the holes, even cutting down a suitable drill bit
but in the end, I used a Burr with a diameter a little wider than the hole provided.
(This will make sense to those embarking on doing the job)

I was then able to put the torx headed driver through the hole and undo the frame.

As an aside, I find it absolutely disgusting that the hinges are on sale, online from Belgium
at a price of 88euros but I'm not allowed to buy them from the UK and, at the same time,
the cheapest price I have seen in the UK is £120.

Please feel free to tell me if you can buy them cheaper than this.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The hinges on mine were replaced under warranty at a year old.
Since then I found out that greasing them once or twice a year with K2 Ceramic grease sorts them out, 6 years on and still working like new.

If the hinges have gone really stiff the grease normally sorts them out.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The hinges on mine were replaced under warranty at a year old.
Since then I found out that greasing them once or twice a year with K2 Ceramic grease sorts them out, 6 years on and still working like new.

If the hinges have gone really stiff the grease normally sorts them out.

I'm going down to my local garage with a selection of biscuits to get the hinges to be given a coating of high melting point copper grease (or similar) It should slow down the inevitable built in obsolescence.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm going down to my local garage with a selection of biscuits to get the hinges to be given a coating of high melting point copper grease (or similar) It should slow down the inevitable built in obsolescence.
I went for ceramic grease as the copper grease has quite a low flash point.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I went for ceramic grease as the copper grease has quite a low flash point.
Thanks for that.
I'll try getting them to supply me with ceramic grease.
However, this is 'Pasty' land, not the Potteries.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back