Help!! Autotrail Grande Frontier or not?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Kev and Carolyn, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Kev and Carolyn

Kev and Carolyn Funster

Hi guys.

Sorry about this but please feel free to throw some suggestions regarding this issue I / we have!
    I am rather passionate about the Grande frontier! I know they had a bad reputation from the beginning but..I just think they are just wonderful!
    Now then...my issue is this..should I trade mine for it or not?
    I have a choice of two. Both have 20k mileage, but one is 3k more than the other! Not sure why?
    That aside, both are prepared to deal for the same 'Purchase price' I have in mind.
    Now before folk go off and start slating them off because of their earlier problems..this is 10 years ago! Im assuming the issues they did have have all gone by now?
    It comes down to the layout in side . I have not seen anything that looks any better to be honest. The external looks take some beating too.
    Please feel free to abuse and confuse us even more than we are at the moment, but I put it it down to my tablets and Morphine patches , so as we can learn yet again from our peers ....guide us in the right direction if at all possible!
    PS...My wife says she wants a Mohican! I always thought that was a Hair cut style!

2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

My closest Pal bought one about four years ago, (against my advice) he bought it knowing they had issues but he was the perfect owner.

He's an engineer and whatever faults it had he fixed and has just Pt/Ex his under pressure from his Mrs for a change so if you end up buying his old one you'll get a good'un. I might add One of the Few Good ones. Beautiful inside.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Don't see why the earlier problems would have gone and their reputation speaks for itself, personally I would not have one simply based on hearsay.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Sounds to me if your mind is already made up and your seeking confirmation from members that your making the right decision. It will be impossible for member to make a sound judgement when they are unable to view the Autotrail and have no idea what-so-ever, what your trading in for it.
    If your happy with your choice, go for it! Alternatively, get someone with good knowledge and ask them to make a comparison after viewing both vehicles.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

In case you don't have it the brochure for it attached.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kev and Carolyn

Kev and Carolyn Funster

Thanks for the response guys. "Gellyneck" ..got it thank you.
    " Philandmena "...Auto trail Cheyenne 630. It was our step on to the ladder to be honest. Having said that..My previous post regarding habitation issues have cost us a little bit so that has "persuaded us " to move onwards.
    Thank again guys . As we said...abuse or confuse us even more! :sneaky:

7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Sounds a bit like financial suicide to me, I would have thought if you were keen on an A Class a quality German van would make more sence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Friends of ours purchased an 06 model in 08/09 solely on the layout. They ignored the bad press.
    True, they had a couple of issues, both base chassis problems, which were rectified under warranty.

The one issue they did have was replacing the windscreen, which they lost in Spain, or maybe it was Italy, not sure. It was a gaffa tape repair until they returned to UK, and it was a six week wait for a new screen. So from this, do ensure you have unlimited glass replacement cover in your insurance.

Other than those issues it has given excellent service.

If its what you want, if it come with an insurance based warranty, I would say take it, could be a negotiating point, we had a three year one included when we purchased a Hymer, and could, and did claim on it, one a broken suspension spring, and at a later date, a replacement Electrobloc was needed. The value of these two claims by far exceeded the value of the insurance, which came with the purchase, so for us it was win, win.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kev and Carolyn

Kev and Carolyn Funster

Hi there. The truck in mind is a Mercedes based with a Automatic gearbox and whilst I agree that it could have been a 'trip too far' regarding pennies due to the problems in the early days, surely that does not have any meaning now? I may be gullible here but that was 10 years ago. The cost originally would have been £70k which would have caused any one to have had a 'blue fit' if there were issues at the time. Hence the problems that had then. Surely now..that should be long forgotten? After all..10 years on and 2o k on the clock..does n 't that mean anything nowadays?

I am but a amoeba l. The world is far bigger than the pool I am in. I hope to be a big fish one day! lol
    Thank you any way

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  10. Kev and Carolyn

Kev and Carolyn Funster

12 months warranty parts and labour is their 'Norm' apparently? As regards Glass replacement issues you have mentioned, I have contacted Auto glass and they have quoted with a £75 excess that they would have no issues with the replacement of this and the two side panels. The guy quoted a serial number version for the registration number I gave him and said it was not a problem. The issue lay with the heated type set up. Then it rockets in price! Rediculously steep! Must check now with that in mind! Hope its the plain one Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fantini

Fantini Funster

Our friends bought an 06 model about 4 years ago, They love it!

What more can I say

12. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I'm not brave enough, but it seems that those who have them today seem to have nothing more than the usual issues you would get with any van. If you don't mind possible future selling issues then gofer it! (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Why did the front window need replacing? Was it because of a stress fracture or was it caused because of movement of the window frame itself? I once knew an Auto-Trail club member who was desperate to get rid of his Frontier as he was experiencing numerous problems. He had bought it from new.

14. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Is it Grand frontier week?

Nothing for years and then 2 in one week. ooh errr!!!

brave people

15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I was thinking more on the lines of it being a white elefant & being difficult to sell next time you want to change vans.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Speve

Speve Funster

We met a couple in Spain last winter who had one it looked great and they loved it and had owned since new.

17. chaser

chaser Funster

Is this the same one from yesterday, 35 grand?:Eeek: Ten years old ,surely a big risk on a van with a bad reputation when there's loads of others about

18. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

We seriously thought of a Grande Frontier in the early days of production. After test driving we were set to buy until I contacted a dealer friend of mine who sold them. He then warned me of the problems and said they were ceasing production and wait as they would've be very cheap. After deciding against a purchase three months later a certain dealer was selling brand new vans stripped of all graphics to make them look different. The asking price was £ 38000. I still admire them but if a manufacturer ceases production after a couple of dozen units there is a big problem.
    Good luck if you go for it but to be safe check a good reliable AClass that's been proven.

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Googling I found several reports of cracking GRP panels.. so worth checking.. and bear in mind they will be expensive to replace if not 'off the shelf'

just one of many ..

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but don' touch a Grand Frontier with a barge pole!!
    We owned one and had the most terrible time with it. We part-exchanged after just 12 weeks and lost £10,000.
    It went back to the factory 3 times during the 10 months we had it (we had to wait for our new Frankia). The built quality is rubbish but yes it does look like a nice van. Ours was on a Merc chassis and that was the only good bit!!

also some threads on Fun

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/grande-frontier-any-good-ones.12672/#post-653259

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  20. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

I believe that they only built 52 of them, a rare breed.

• Like Like x 1