help and inspiration needed (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Earlier this year our 2 sons and 4 grand children the oldest 16 yrs and the youngest just 18 months, were around for a bite to eat and a few drinks. not often we get them all in one place these days.

We were having a great time and as can happen at these occasions stories of growing up, living abroad and many things about us and our family were being shared to much enthusiasm and hilarity. :Blush:

anyway! the next day our 16 year old grandson turned up with a scrapbook; a blank one at that. :Eeek: he said he had really enjoyed listening to the stories of the family the evening before and please could we write down for him " everything " we could remember about our family, our growing up, and add some photos please. as he would love to know more.

my first reaction was a feeling of pride that he really wanted to know more :thumb: then having agreed to give it a shot, i realised this was not an easy task :Eeek:

so far i have written 40 + pages and gathered many photographs but the scrapbook is still empty :Doh: i have done the notes on Microsoft Office Word.

what i need is some ideas of how i can collate this in some form book that is deserving of his interest. i have looked at some scrapbook software but most seem to be focused around photos with a few captions. i really would like something that i can add the photos into the script and looks half decent.

any ideas :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I undertook a similar exercise in 1996 when we had been researching our family history for a while and I wanted to make some sense of it.

I used Lotus Ami Pro at the time and was able to embed a number of photos. So, you may well find that MS Word has sufficient features to produce what you want. It would certainly be worth having a go with a product you already understand rather than forking out cash on an alternative that you may not like.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Aww. How lovely.

Personally, to achieve this I would have to break it into small segments in my notes.... eg. Preschool years with two sections .. yourself and your wife. Then Ages five to ten ... same two sections. Then you could as you go along break each section up as you remember things.. eg.. family moments, school moments (sad, funny, scarey, achievements etc) .... holidays ... special thoughts that you had at that age (hopes and dreams for the future .. some achieved and some not) ... Your friends as a child and what you did together ... then go into your teenage years (good luck on that one!!!!!).

There will also be moments that were special which will take you back into past generations.... quote them as they are important. I remember my nan when I was little telling me of times when my great grandad returned from the Crimean war ... these memories are all part of what have made you into the person you are. Gosh, you have so much work ahead but it should be so enjoyable.....

Always carry a pen and notepad with you and sleep with one at the side of the bed. Memories will come back to you at the most inopportune times... write them down. :thumb:

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Aww. How lovely.

Personally, to achieve this I would have to break it into small segments in my notes.... eg. Preschool years with two sections .. yourself and your wife. Then Ages five to ten ... same two sections. Then you could as you go along break each section up as you remember things.. eg.. family moments, school moments (sad, funny, scarey, achievements etc) .... holidays ... special thoughts that you had at that age (hopes and dreams for the future .. some achieved and some not) ... Your friends as a child and what you did together ... then go into your teenage years (good luck on that one!!!!!).

There will also be moments that were special which will take you back into past generations.... quote them as they are important. I remember my nan when I was little telling me of times when my great grandad returned from the Crimean war ... these memories are all part of what have made you into the person you are. Gosh, you have so much work ahead but it should be so enjoyable.....

Always carry a pen and notepad with you and sleep with one at the side of the bed. Memories will come back to you at the most inopportune times... write them down. :thumb:

this is sort of what i have done, broken it down into segments / periods and a "special memories"
i'm still jotting this down and then adding them into the relevant section.

but i really would like it to look reasonably professional when i give it to him... i am targeting end of december for first edition :ROFLMAO:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
I've done a couple of photo books now with Blurb.
You can download their software (no obligation) and start working on your book, adding text and photos to suit your own needs. It's really quite easy with a choice of templates. Then if you like what you produce you can order it! Top quality too.

http://www.blurb.co.uk/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've done a similar thing for Sammy, if he want's to read it, when I've turned me toes up, well that's Ok! If not! , well there is always the delete button!
I've done it on Word Processor, I just started with my earliest memory, My Dad standing there in Uniform wearing a funny hat, and with a stick under his arm, and moved on from there.
If you remember something later, with word, it's easy to insert it. It's took me about 10 years off and on, hav'n't done too much since he was born but!

You have to be honest, not only the Good Memories, share the bad times too.
I did it because, I realised I knew a lot about my Mum, but nothing about my Father, my Stepfather made sure of that, the old man just wasn't mentioned. Anyway it's a good thing to do, for your own Kids and Grand kids memory of you, when you've "passed over":Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back