help and info please (1 Viewer)

J

johnandcarol

Deleted User
weve only been members a couple of days, but i'll fill you in with some background, so hopefully you can advise us.
We have made a decision to go from tugging, to fulltime motorhoming. we have travelled a lot in europe etc with landrovers, and would like to explore a lot more. the idea would be to live in the motorhome, with a base in the Uk near to our kids (easily sorted with a local farmer), initially I will carry on working (hgv driver) and then let the trips get longer and longer.
We have discussed the down side of this, i.e "what if it does'nt work" and we don't like it, no problem...back to the UK, park up and live in the MH while not paying stupid gas/leccy/council tax etc....or sell it and rent, at least we will have another adventure under our belts and wont be sitting around getting fleeced by the govt while waiting to die!
The problem is, being new to motorhomes, tis all a bit confusing:whatthe:, we know what we are looking for, something BIG (missus likes a bit of space) good sized bedroom and bathroom, (end situated) , I want a diesel, prefferably merc...but all the terminology is a bit baffling. when does a MH become an RV? What type of MH are more suited to fulltiming? etc etc.
i have been reading the post's non stop, but would appreciate people's thought's...even if it is "don't do it "::bigsmile:, a theme of being part of the landrover community is "one life, live it", and we try to do that, so if youv'e got the time, your opinion's wouldbe welcome:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
welcome to the fun and change of lifestyle. First point an RV is an American term Recreational Vehicle, so any motorhome is actually an RV, however in the UK the term usually refers to the large American Motorhomes or RV's, being American you are unlikely to find a merc engine, although I do believe there are one or two out there, Scotland Jim is on the point of giving up fulltiming and has an RV that will be for sale at some point. All sorted ready to move into, so maybe get in touch with him for details. He currently lives in it fulltime. Other advice will be forthcoming very shortly from full-timers I'm sure. Good Luck and enjoy the experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 22, 2008
Funster No
It looks as though SCOTLAND JIM may be selling a suitable unit for full timing, have a look at his latest post, I'm sure he will have a lot of advice to give you. I don't think fulltiming is the cheap option you may think particularly if you have to pay camp site fees etc, just my opinion for what its worth, any way good luck with your venture.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
May 22, 2008
Funster No
welcome to the fun and change of lifestyle. First point an RV is an American term Recreational Vehicle, so any motorhome is actually an RV, however in the UK the term usually refers to the large American Motorhomes or RV's, being American you are unlikely to find a merc engine, although I do believe there are one or two out there, Scotland Jim is on the point of giving up fulltiming and has an RV that will be for sale at some point. All sorted ready to move into, so maybe get in touch with him for details. He currently lives in it fulltime. Other advice will be forthcoming very shortly from full-timers I'm sure. Good Luck and enjoy the experience.

Bump, I lost Internet contact as I was writing my post and you beat me to it Wildman.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

johnandcarol

Deleted User
Our budget will be a bit flexible, depending on carol's impression at the time:winky:, I may try to save a few quid, but if she see's one she falls in love with.....ive had it, but I suspect around the £ 40.000- £50.000 mark would be about right.
the reason I,m swayed toward Merc diesels, is the ease of repairs almost anywhere, and the fact that most US rv,s have stonking great petrol engines, which will be costly to run. Ive gone the LPG route with cars, and its always a compromise between cheaper running cost's, against refilling with LPG every 100 miles or losing space.
i,ll keep my eye on Jims situation:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi John and carol

Our RV is an ideal full time motorhome and is powered by a Cummins Diesel .. does around 14-15 mpg .. Cummins as you probably know are renowned for reliability and longevity, star ship miles on a Cummins engine before major work is required is normal , spares and servicing are available world wide .. ours has done under 50k miles .. barely run in.

For full time you need two things in a van.. space and payload , many Euro vans have very small payloads and not suitable for full time.. that's not to say they aren't used .. some people do but have a home base for storing stuff while away ..

Space as you have already identified is important , fixed double bed, walk in shower, toilet, lounge and dining area .. that's the minimum .. size does matter!

We have lived in ours close to three years and in that time have travelled about 20k miles, from the north of Scotland through France, Germany, Spain, Portugal and Morocco.. had one breakdown in Spain, broken fuel solenoid link which I repaired at the side of the road but have since replaced.. also replaced the starter motor last year..

With your budget you will have no problem finding the bus of your dreams.. but take your time.. for less than half of that you can pick up some really nice RVs .. but I'm with you on this.. look for a diesel and preferably a pusher ..

good luck.. keep firing the questions, there are many RVers and full timers who will add to this advice ..

Jim

Edit

Join this forum ( a sister site ) for lots of info on RVs , you can view many Rvs in the 'garage' including my Georgieboy Cruisemaster

for full time info I have a site , link in my signature

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back