Help and Advice please selling motorhome and accessories (1 Viewer)

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
Yes we sold it this morning, was paid a deposit so we are dropping it off at Leeds on Monday and hopefully we will be buying an autotrail to come home in. The sellers will follow us to Leeds if we are taking it. :)

Have a safe trip...hope you get a fab one to come home in! (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
really sorry to hear Stephen has lost his battle. always a very difficult time and with so much going on at the time, its all too easy to make a decision you later regret
peak selling time is just before Easter so you have a few weeks to think.

I buy and sell a few motorhomes and caravans and can honestly tell you most dealers are after making quick cash. you will be offered ridiculous low prices out of season but if they have a buyer waiting you could do ok. do your research well and see what similar vans are actually selling for. will save you throwing away up to £10k for a dealer to make in profit

if you place a van on contract to sell by a dealer, agree a fixed price and make sure that you tell them you dont want it left unlocked or test driven for the sake of it. i have seen people who spend every saturday test driving potential motorhomes just because they can. adds wear and tear to your pride and joy potentially driving down the sale price

what you really need is somebody local to act as your agent and pay them a fixed fee to market and sell the van for you. i would offer if i lived nearer, but its not practical

money takes years to earn but minutes to spend....just take your time and dont be rushed into decisions

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Deeply sorry to hear about your desperately sad loss. Clearly a very difficult time for you and your wider family.

There have been lots of valuable suggestions about your van, and I'm not sure I can add anything more of particular help, but do take the time to decide what is the best option for you.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi
I understand why you might not want to continue to use your van - memories - sell it but it will not depreciate over the next months and it is easy to sell it cheap, take your time.

I sold my own van, in similar circumstances last year on Ebay

Post details of your van with photos and I (and others) will help you value the van and format an advert for Ebay - if that is what you want

Sorry that you find yourself having to do stuff that you would rather not but we can help

Best wishes, I am in Derby, and might be able to be there to meet prospective buyers if it would help

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
morning,Funsters! well, what can I say. I'm absolutely overwhelmed by all your posts, suggestions, advice, etc. thank you so, so much all of you.
jollyrodger, no that's not our van but one like it, same year. it's on the forecourt of the Derby dealer who's offered to market ours on my behalf (take it to shows, etc)-wasn't sure about that because I've seen what happens to vans at shows, where it takes only one unscrupulous person to trash it. they assured me they kept van locked and supervised viewings?? They've also given me an idea of what I could get for it, so that was a help. The Big1 that rather ties in with your comments, I think. Barclaybasher, I felt I needed to sell van soon because I thought it would deteriorate just sitting on the drive. I've moved it so the tyres don't get flat spots, but we used it all year round - it's not used to sitting still except on campsites and inbetween trips.
it's very sensible advice you all give though not to rush into making rash decisions, once made they cannot be undone.
you have all given me a lot to think about, so again thank you. I will go away and quietly consider all the options and hopefully come up with a plan!!:):)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we wish you all the best. good luck whichever you deicide.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Morning! Thought you might like an update after all your helpful comments and suggestions. After much consideration, am selling van through Motor Plus in Derby, so fingers crossed (y). Incidentally, Oaktree were a complete ripoff.
Have also started listing and sorting out all the accessories and spares, and boy are there a lot! - having emptied van for sale, then checked through garage and loft, came across more and more... Anyway just listed a few things for a start, and put them (as suggested) on classified. Think that exercise is going to take a long time, but at least it's started. If there's anything specific you're looking for, PM me - might just have it! You might be interested to know that half the proceeds from the accessories will go to one of Stephen's chosen charities, thought he'd like that. We've had so much pleasure from our motorhoming and made so many wonderful friends.:)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
steles,

I have just come across this post, my heartfelt condolences to you at this time. I was in a similar situation myself 7 years ago and I also decided to sell our van.

It can be damn hard at times but life just goes on, I wish you every future happiness, take heart.

Norman.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you, Norman. I find just taking a day at a time helps, and setting realistic targets for each day. you're right it's not easy, but there are so many kind people out there which helps enormously. :)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I too have only just come across the thread ---Sorry for your loss --- I have just parted with our M/H after keeping it for a year after Ann's death --I found it has been a great help to get out and actually meet funsters in the van -I felt it time to let our van go and make one for myself and that is exactly what I am about to start on shortly.I have never been attached to any vehicle but we kept Alice for 8 1/2 yrs and must admit I felt a lump in my throat when it drove off --If the dealer is offering a fair price -(I would place an ebay add -bidding starting at what the dealer said you may get and see what happens /how much it brings )-ask them how much they would buy it off you for if you cannot face the hassel -
If I had the room on my drive I would have it here and sell it for you FOC -Hope everything goes well for you and if I can be of any help just ask
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Forgot to say I think your van is worth around 35/37 k ;) so I hope this is close to what's been offered by your selling dealer
terry

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Terry, thank you, and also for the offer of help. so glad you feel able to carry on motorhoming, it's such a lovely way of life, and good luck with your new project.
in time, hopefully, I will find my way forward. at the moment it's just a case of sorting out the endless paperwork, and things like the camper and accessories. :)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There is no rush to sort things out accessories.wise -do it when you feel you can /want to --I still have 4 double wardrobes of Ann's clothes that I cannot be bothered to sort/dump or give away :)I will get around to it one day just cannot be bothered yet
terry

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
You might be interested to know that half the proceeds from the accessories will go to one of Stephen's chosen charities, thought he'd like that.
Hi Funsters!:)
thought you'd like to know that I've managed to sell some of the mh accessories through Fun and have £38.00 to donate to one of Stephen's chosen charities. still lots more left unfortunately:( and no doubt still more to discover! just keep doing a bit more each day...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a sad time condolences from us here. If I was closer I'd sort it all for you.
However whilst at the moment you don't feel like continuing it could be just what you need to move forward, there are lots of meets and rallies that could keep you occupied and help you forge a new life. You have a grand van and many people would love it, me included. Take a little time and try a rally before deciding to give it up. As to the bits and pieces well there is always gumtree (free) and preloved (free). You can also advertise bits on here. No rush though you need time to find yourself and come to terms with your loss. Don't feel pressured or rushed if you want to talk PM me a phone number and I'll do what I can sorting prices etc.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
sorry to hear of your loss .if you use a dealer to sell your m/h make sure he sells if out right and does not take a part x against your van and get it on paper also if you sell it private do not allow them to test drive it without you and make sure the funds clear before you hand over you m/h the family of funster are here for you and you may be far away from a lot of us but we are all very close to you in our thoughts ray

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
We are only 1/2 hour from Derby so if you need ANY HELP with anything please feel free to PM me on here and I will try to help if I can

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi Lesley
So sorry to hear about Stephen i remember you both clearing the beach at Cabo of rubbish washed up after a big storm and i also have on my other computer a Spanish TV programme from 2009/10 featuring Stephen and your then motorhome when they came onsite to make a film . It features yourselves ,John Kent , Arthur , French Alaine and a few others . We still go to Cabo most winters and you are still spoken about and Stephen with the bandana . Best Wishes Keith & sandra

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Wildman, SwanseaJack13,jhorsf
thank you all for your kind thoughts, advice and offers of help:). be warned, offers of help may be taken up on! truly though, it is heartwarming that so many people, some of whom we haven't met, are so generous in thought and deed.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Sandra and Keith (wanderer)
how are you? glad to hear you're still travelling, it's such a great way of life:) and you meet so many brilliant people. yes, I remember those days at Cabo-when you're next there, please give my love to all the 'old faithfuls'. lots of good memories:)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
So sorry for your loss. Can't offer any advice, but I do wish you well.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
things seem to have gone quite on the classified entries. hope you don't mind if I list here some of the mh things still waiting for a new home
Thetford C400 complete holding tank, new
Upholstered bench cushion, new
Truma regulator, new
Battery box cover, new
Habitation exterior and interior door handle assembly, new
Freestanding step, splayed legs for stability, new
Car heater matrix, for habitation heating while travelling, new
really could do with the space at home....
:)

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
can anyone tell me why my avatar is single here, but on the mh chat menu it doubles up with a smaller one in the bottom rh corner??o_O checked my profile settings and can't see what I've done wrong....:)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hi Mousy, we got our van from Marquis. Tried them first, just for an idea of price, and after several phone calls to them they promised to ring back several times but never did. gave up on them then.
don't know any reputable dealers in this area who might want to buy outright. the Autosleeper dealer in Derby wanted to do it on a sale or return basis.
will have a look at the A-S forum, thanks:)
Yes don't be put off by Marquis, they seem to be consumate time wasters when it comes to buying second hand vans or trade ins.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back