help and advice on buying autotrail

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by cookie, Aug 25, 2016.

1. cookie

cookie Funster

hi people. looking to get auto trail savannah or Delaware, anything to look out for on these problems etc ?, are there any issues with getting 3 LTR auto ? is it better than manual ones ? is it possible to uprate weights using air ride suspension.

lots of questions but its a lot of money and this van has to last us a while.

any help really appreciated

john

2. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We love our Auto trail. Like anything you usually hear of the bad and never the good.

• Like Like x 2
  4. kevan

kevan Funster Life Member

Advice on buying an Auto trail, :rofl::RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. MikeD

MikeD Funster

We bought our Autotrail new at about the same time as the link and had a similar distressing time with leaks and problems

Sold it now and good riddance - did not even offer it on site as would not want burden anybody with it.

I fixed or had fixed just about everything. There was always a huge list of repairs following every trip

Failed its damp check at three and four years - that was it for us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

buying an autotrail? buyer beware

7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Happy with our AT Scout bought new in 2013.

I would think 3 litre would be better but it eats into your payload compared to the 2.3 manual engine.

That's the limit of my expertise I'm afraid:)

• Like Like x 3
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

That being the case, I suggest you look at German marques .. and if your budget doesn't stretch for a new model , look at the second hand ..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Our first one was a Cheyenne 696G and it was great. There are plenty on here that will tell you that only a German van will do but personally the layouts leave a lot to be desired. Auto trail are known for some common issues but there is plenty of information on the net of these and what to look for. As always, make sure that it has no surprises before you part with your money.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I have a 2010 AutoTrail Savannah 3 litre manual and you missed a chance to buy it earlier this year but following the pound's decline since Brexit I can't get a good deal abroad for a while so am keeping it and have added 3 solar panels, a battery to battery charger, inverter etc. I don't find any issues with ours and don't come back from trips with a load of repairs or faults to correct. Perhaps they were better back in 2010! I was going to buy an almost new big Hymer with a different layout and was not selling because of problems. I have upgraded the weight to 4500 kilos from 4005 Kilos to give us more payload so that might be something to watch out for but payload is an issue for very many vans.

We also have friends who have a 2011 version with a 2.3 litre engine and they are happy with theirs and it was them that recommended it to us.

It hasn't got a double floor like some of the continental vans which helps those that go skiing in the Alps in their motorhome!

Like all things it could be improved but then it would cost more if it had more or better gadgets. It does its job as well as any other van if its what you want and it has bags of storage space and lockers.

• Like Like x 4
  11. cookie

cookie Funster

abacist,

how easy was it to get it uprated to 4500kgs

take it it was airride and tyres ?

which is better the 4005 kg or the 4250 kg chassis

12. cookie

cookie Funster

we have but they haven't got the layouts we prefer

• Like Like x 1
  13. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

A lot will depend on the year regarding weight as to what chassis is used..
    The New Delaware I think now comes as 4500kg as standard, the Savanna is 4250kg.
    http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/model/frontier/delaware/weight-calculator#menu

Previous models did have lower weights... Having the 3ltr can add 45kg..

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Exactly.

And the mantra on here?

Layout, layout and layout.

So I conclude that the real mantra ( that I don't agree with) is Compromise, compromise and compromise

• Like Like x 5
  15. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Hi Cookie, we are now on our third Autotrail, the first a Cheyenne, we didn`t have any problems with it at all.
    The Merc 2.7L 5 cyl with sprint shift auto box was a delight to drive.
    We sold that for a 2008 Arapaho, again like the cheyenne it was well built, cupboards doors all interior fittings were excellent, the only problem was with reverse judder, basically there wasn`t a fix for the 3 litre model though there was a fix for the 2.3Litre.
    Not sure if you are looking for new or 2nd hand just be aware if buying 2nd hand that the fault could be found in vehicles registered as late as 2012.

Our current Autotrail is a 2013 Apache, bought new and sadly we have to say that we have had more problems with this one than all the the others put together, really annoying as most of the faults could have been found and rectified before we took ownership if only Autotrail had a proper half decent quality control system, we can`t believe some of the silly faults that Autotrail allowed through their system.

All told we have now got the M/H just how we like it, not many builders have a model with the "U" shaped lounge we prefer so for now we will be keeping our Apache but have to say unless Autotrail have a massive reshuffle and put in place a genuine program and inspection unit to cover quality control then we certainly won`t be buying another Autotrail.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I am saying nothing about my "Water-trail".. ;)

Hopefully everything is fine with it now but so annoying that you do hear so many stories and they are not made up.
    Yes so very lucky owners have no issues, some maybe do and wont admit it after spending so much cash..
    I love my 700 for it's layout and features but the Autotrail quality control and back up could be very much improved, a lot of the old staff have also now left at the factory so goodness know what will happen now for backup..

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. SteveB123

SteveB123 Funster

Make sure its got a recent habitation check before you buy. Autotrails are good vans but like all others including german vans they have problems.

• Like Like x 1