Help Alko handbrake cable (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We had a tyre blowout and we were recovered to our house. The wheel was changed and Kevin thought that the brakes were not working correctly. We had a mechanic look at it and he freed the brakes up but said we needed a rear handbrake cable. We got one from our local motor factors. Mechanic comes today and it's too short. Any ideas where I can get one?
Sonja

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We had a tyre blowout and we were recovered to our house. The wheel was changed and Kevin thought that the brakes were not working correctly. We had a mechanic look at it and he freed the brakes up but said we needed a rear handbrake cable. We got one from our local motor factors. Mechanic comes today and it's too short. Any ideas where I can get one?
Sonja
Sonja, I had to get mine from ALKO (x 2) as Fiat no longer supply them apparently. I got them via Camper UK, who quoted me a bit less than ALKO direct did, but still a fraction off £170 for the pair.

There are firms who can make one up for you using the original cable as a template, one of which is based in Swansea. Other than that route, we couldn't get them from anywhere else, hence ALKO, who had to bring them in from Germany.

Good luck. :xThumb:

See you both in a few days. :xsmile:

Jock (& Rita).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Red Sonja
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all thanks for replies. It's a Hymer 614 on an alko chassis. I think it will be speedy cables in Swansea in the New Year. We can still go to Shrewsbury if we are extra careful as the cable is damaged not completely broken.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As its an Alko chassis that may be your only option short of pestering the factors counter staff to measure every one in stock......and believe me, that aint going to happen.
Fiat etc cables WILL NOT fit.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Fiat etc cables WILL NOT fit.
No John, but at one time they did, but according to our local Fiat Commercial dealer, (and as as I pointed out above), they no longer supply, hence the reason we had to deal with ALKO.

According to my mate, an extremely experienced HGV/PSV mechanic (not a fitter), they were an exact straight swap. :xThumb:
I couldn't be guaranteed that from other suppliers, with Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen out of the picture.

Cheers,

Jock. :xsmile:

Reactions: f6c

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi all thanks for replies. It's a Hymer 614 on an alko chassis. I think it will be speedy cables in Swansea in the New Year. We can still go to Shrewsbury if we are extra careful as the cable is damaged not completely broken.

Don't worry hun. ..I've arranged a nice big hill for you to park on at Shrewsbury...Kevin requested it

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We have had excellent service from Hindle Controls, they made up a number of cables for us with a 24-hour service, delivered the following day. Top quality jobs all of them.

http://www.controlsandcables.com/

Really nice people to deal with.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
There's a bit of a story to our purchases from Hindle.

We built the trailer from scratch and the last thing to do was the brake linkages. We were booked on the 9am ferry from Harwich and the trailer hadn't turned a wheel with a week to go.

The cable we identified as suitable was available from a German trailer manufacturer who had a place in the UK, but as we set off to collect it, they phoned to say that is wasn't on the shelf, and their parent company didn't have one either.

We then found Hindle Controls, spoke to a very helpful guy who took us through ordering the cable. It was there before 10 the next day.

Subsequently, we found that our calculations were wrong so we had to buy another one! Very embarassing, but Hindle did the job, 4pm order and in our hands on the Wednesday morning, we sailed the Friday at 9am.

It all worked fine and we later went back to them with another special cable to replace the M10 stainless threaded rod that went to the rear axles.

Lovely people.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back