Help Alko handbrake cable

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Red Sonja, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

We had a tyre blowout and we were recovered to our house. The wheel was changed and Kevin thought that the brakes were not working correctly. We had a mechanic look at it and he freed the brakes up but said we needed a rear handbrake cable. We got one from our local motor factors. Mechanic comes today and it's too short. Any ideas where I can get one?
    Sonja

2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

What vehicle?

3. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Sonja, I had to get mine from ALKO (x 2) as Fiat no longer supply them apparently. I got them via Camper UK, who quoted me a bit less than ALKO direct did, but still a fraction off £170 for the pair.

There are firms who can make one up for you using the original cable as a template, one of which is based in Swansea. Other than that route, we couldn't get them from anywhere else, hence ALKO, who had to bring them in from Germany.

Good luck. :xThumb:

See you both in a few days. :xsmile:

Jock (& Rita).

• Like Like x 2
  4. 2bob

2bob Funster

hi if you live near a boat yard they might make them up thats what i had to have done

• Like Like x 2
  5. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

Hi all thanks for replies. It's a Hymer 614 on an alko chassis. I think it will be speedy cables in Swansea in the New Year. We can still go to Shrewsbury if we are extra careful as the cable is damaged not completely broken.

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

As its an Alko chassis that may be your only option short of pestering the factors counter staff to measure every one in stock......and believe me, that aint going to happen.
    Fiat etc cables WILL NOT fit.

7. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

No John, but at one time they did, but according to our local Fiat Commercial dealer, (and as as I pointed out above), they no longer supply, hence the reason we had to deal with ALKO.

According to my mate, an extremely experienced HGV/PSV mechanic (not a fitter), they were an exact straight swap. :xThumb:
    I couldn't be guaranteed that from other suppliers, with Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen out of the picture.

Cheers,

Jock. :xsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Don't worry hun. ..I've arranged a nice big hill for you to park on at Shrewsbury...Kevin requested it

• Like Like x 1
  9. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

We have had excellent service from Hindle Controls, they made up a number of cables for us with a 24-hour service, delivered the following day. Top quality jobs all of them.

http://www.controlsandcables.com/

Really nice people to deal with.

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  10. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Paul there could be a fight for that hill, wake up on your very own island.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  11. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

There's a bit of a story to our purchases from Hindle.

We built the trailer from scratch and the last thing to do was the brake linkages. We were booked on the 9am ferry from Harwich and the trailer hadn't turned a wheel with a week to go.

The cable we identified as suitable was available from a German trailer manufacturer who had a place in the UK, but as we set off to collect it, they phoned to say that is wasn't on the shelf, and their parent company didn't have one either.

We then found Hindle Controls, spoke to a very helpful guy who took us through ordering the cable. It was there before 10 the next day.

Subsequently, we found that our calculations were wrong so we had to buy another one! Very embarassing, but Hindle did the job, 4pm order and in our hands on the Wednesday morning, we sailed the Friday at 9am.

It all worked fine and we later went back to them with another special cable to replace the M10 stainless threaded rod that went to the rear axles.

Lovely people.

Peter

• Like Like x 4