Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
2 years ! Ex "Tugger" of 7 years + !!
Hi All

We have decided to sell our immaculate Swift Kontiki 669 due to lack of use. Work commitments etc means in the last 12 months she has sat on our drive for 11 of the 12 months so after disscusions with the family we are selling up !

Heres where advice would be gratefully received in ideas of how & where to attempt to sell ?

I have found this site : Link Removed
and wondered if anyone has any dealings with it? The web page comes accross as legit but delving deeper a few things don't appear right : No fixed telephone numbers, both mobile ! No other Motorhomes / Caravans being advertised on the site ! Googled the address & it is a detatched house !!!
Stay away do you think ???

So, what's our next move ? It is a fully loaded 2008 Kontiki 669 ( every extra ) with only 7300 miles in immaculate condition. We do have finance left to pay so advice from the 'better knowing' folk on the site is appreciated !

Thanks
Mark Nicky Ben from Hereford :thumb:

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Advertising

Sorry do not have any answers regarding the finance but some-one will be along soon that knows.
Regarding advertising you could try an ad on Preloved it is free and has lots of Motorhomes on the site.
I have used it twice for small items and always had a good responce.
Good luck with your sale and hope you will not miss your van too much but 11months parked up you are making the right decision, if you want to travel you can always hire a van.

Sue:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Peter will be along any time now::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Be very wary

According to their flebay feedback they have only sold one caravan........I know all business starts somewhere but they appear to have no history.

I certainly would not deal with any one without a fixed base and landlines......the address could just be a "mail box".

All looks too risky to me unless anyone else comes up with better info on them.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Here is a good place to sell motorhomes, they sell millions of ÂŁ worth every year, and its free Link Removed

OP
OP
gixermark

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Thank Jim.
I will put the ad in over the coming few days but just testing the water to see the best advice .....:Doh:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Years ago,,, you would have to ask the finance company for a "Settlement" figure...... This would be quite a bit less than what was owing if you totted up the remaining months you have to pay..

The only drawback is you would have to pay before you sold..

If selling to a dealer they would settle the HP/Loan..

I think problems could arrise if you sold and then decided to pay off what was out standing... as anybody who was likely to buy yours would do an HPI check and it would show up as owing and any body with any sense would walk away...

Not being disrespectful to you,,,,, but they would only have your word that you are going to settle... and I think the onus would come back to the buyer of your vehicle...

I may be totally wrong, hopefully Peter of JohnsCross M/H will be along with some guiding notes, and maybe he would buy it..

He is a well respected member of the club..:thumb:

OP
OP
gixermark

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Years ago,,, you would have to ask the finance company for a "Settlement" figure...... This would be quite a bit less than what was owing if you totted up the remaining months you have to pay..

The only drawback is you would have to pay before you sold..

If selling to a dealer they would settle the HP/Loan..

I think problems could arrise if you sold and then decided to pay off what was out standing... as anybody who was likely to buy yours would do an HPI check and it would show up as owing and any body with any sense would walk away...

Not being disrespectful to you,,,,, but they would only have your word that you are going to settle... and I think the onus would come back to the buyer of your vehicle...

I may be totally wrong, hopefully Peter of JohnsCross M/H will be along with some guiding notes, and maybe he would buy it..

He is a well respected member of the club..:thumb:

Thanks for the input.

No, this is not a worry for me OR the buyer as I have settled finance on sale of items ( Car & a Motorbike ) before.

You get the buyer to transfer funds straight to the Finance company ( Black Horse in my instance ) whilst they are with you. You then contact the company, again when the buyer is with you & BOTH speak to the company. They will clarify the account is fully paid.

It really is simple and both parties are happy there is no outstanding finance to effect them at a later date.

I have already had my settlement figure from Black Horse by the way ! :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but delving deeper a few things don't appear right

Then run a mile.

You could ask one of the Good Guys, like John's Cross if they'd do a sale or return. But Peter did post one line recently that implied all was not well in van sales.

OP
OP
gixermark

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Then run a mile.

You could ask one of the Good Guys, like John's Cross if they'd do a sale or return. But Peter did post one line recently that implied all was not well in van sales.

Don't fancy the idea of SOR, what happens if the van is on a forecourt & they go bust ? Administraters can be awkward at the best of times ..............:Eeek:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Mark.

There are literally loads of advertisers wanting to buy your van in the MMM. Being quite new and a Swift, there should be plenty of interest.

HOWEVER

If you are going to attempt to sell that way, be prepared for a big hit. You will not get anything like a private sale price, but the hassall will be taken away. Many of the buyers are attached to big dealers, so in for big dealer profits.

Personally, other than here, ebay is good for selling. Why not see what a dealer is offering, then advertise it for a little more? you could make a couple of K or lose a further ÂŁ30 in advertising costs.

how much are you selling it for by the way?

OP
OP
gixermark

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
We have now advertised on Motorhome Fun & eBay if anyone is looking for a Swift 669, please point them in our direction ! :thumb:

Thanks

OP
OP
gixermark

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Well, what a horrible experience that was !!!! :cry:

We have now sold the 669, we had a private buyer ( NOT a dealer ) actually bother to come and see the M/H and paid cash, drove it off our drive 3/4 hr later! :thumb:

No one bothered to come and see the M/H yet we had offer after offer after offer on eBay, all 3-8 thousand pounds below my already low asking price!
Unfortunatley I verbally agreed a sale with someone who said they would come up the following morning but in the mean time the cash buyer phoned, arrived and left with the M/H! I really did feel awful letting the 1st person down & when I phoned to explain was met by an obvious angry conversation. As everyone I have spoken to has said, you take the 1st buyer with the money don't worry about the other buyer you let down! :Blush:

Obviously there is nothing I can do to change what happened but I would be interested to have some replies to this if you would have done the same, sell to the 1st person turning up with the money ? :Doh:

By the way, the actual buyer did pay slightly more money ! :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Mark, well, firstly well done on selling up. :thumb:

On your sale?

No, mate im a dying breed.

If I had of agreed a sale verbally, I would of stuck by it. The guy with cash would of had his number taken and get the opportunity after the other buyer.
By the amount of offers you had, it looked like you were on a hot to trot one so would of sold either way.

Still, just my honest opinion, you naughty man ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
gixermark

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Hi Mark, well, firstly well done on selling up. :thumb:

On your sale?

No, mate im a dying breed.

If I had of agreed a sale verbally, I would of stuck by it. The guy with cash would of had his number taken and get the opportunity after the other buyer.
By the amount of offers you had, it looked like you were on a hot to trot one so would of sold either way.

Still, just my honest opinion, you naughty man ::bigsmile:

I too was ( am ) a dying bread however, as we had a large loan out ( ÂŁ600 per month to be precise ! ) I had to be sensible and go with my gut instinct and think of my families well being. The loan is all paid off, a weight has been lifted of both my wife and my shoulders and we will move on now.:Smile:

Not my nature as I have always been a man of my word but in this instance, needs must !!! :thumb:

Cheers

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Don't fancy the idea of SOR, what happens if the van is on a forecourt & they go bust ? Administraters can be awkward at the best of times ..............:Eeek:

Very true but I will never go bust, anyway well done in selling the van and as to keeping your word, well we work on the principle of the man with the money gets it.

Far too many people make promises they never keep, been there and been let down in the past with promisers.

'Oh I do like the van, can I have a couple of days to think it over?'

Yes of course, just leave a deposit. No deposit its still on sale, end of story

Peter

OP
OP
gixermark

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Very true but I will never go bust, anyway well done in selling the van and as to keeping your word, well we work on the principle of the man with the money gets it.

Far too many people make promises they never keep, been there and been let down in the past with promisers.

'Oh I do like the van, can I have a couple of days to think it over?'

Yes of course, just leave a deposit. No deposit its still on sale, end of story

Peter

Ha Ha ! Thanks Peter, I know from your good reputation on this site bust is only a word used for ladies asset's you will ever worry about !

Coming from someone who deals everyday in sales I appreciate your wording and now accept, whilst going against my greater judgement, our decision was the correct one ! Monies are all sorted and we are kinda feelin a little bit happier this morning .....:thumb:

Thanks ...........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back