Help/advice on layout

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by Terry, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi all :thumb: I am nearing finishing the boarding in the self build and coming close to choosing the layout :Smile:As things stand I can do any layout with some restrictions because of window positions (already in van) My favored lay out is leaving me with a couple of options-- Bathroom/wet room across the rear moving forward to kitchen area on left using half the door opening and a 6ft 6 ins slide out bed on the right side pulling across to the kitchen units
    2nd option is again wet room rear moving forwards to kitchen areas on both sides but having to use both front seats that swivel as part of the 2 single beds that would convert to a 6 ft 6 ins long by 5ft 9 ins double
    option 3 is a u shape lounge at rear and classic loo/shower behind drivers seat/mid kitchen but this only gives a double bed that will be 4ft 6 ish by only 5 ft 9 ins wide -fine for the odd night crunched up but from experience too small for longer stays
    What do you think ? opinions please :thumb:
    thanks terry

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  2. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

If it's any help Terry, this is how ours is laid out:

It's similar to the way you describe your plan except that the Shower Room is to the rear / right and you get to keep the full side door opening.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi DeuceBG THANKS- that's more like my option 2 where the bed pulls across --but to the door -- that layout would only give me the narrow 5 ft 9 ins bed -trying to get a 6ft 6 ish bed :Wink:
    terry

4. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Are you after achieving a 6'6" long bed Terry?
    If so, mine is 6'3" long so not so far short of your target.
    I'm 6'4" tall and it's OK for me :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Layouts are very personal and I would not want to tell you what is the best layout.
    What I do like from your suggestions is a total wet room giving you maximum space when taking a shower. If you drop the sponge. can you pick it up? This maxim I use when choosing a van, many fail this test as some people only use the shower as extra storage. What do you want to do with the area.
    The second thought is regarding the front seats. If they do not turn around, when parked up, everything in front of the seats is a dead area. If they do turn around you have added to the usable space in the van and provided two extra guest seats.
    Finally, try not to invent the wheel. Many many designers have struggled to create the ideal layout for the last 40+ years and have not got there yet but they have tried, with committees advising them
    Alan

6. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi 6' 3" would be fine -- looking at your pics do you pull the single seat across towards the door to make the bed up? as in my option 2 (longitudinal bed)Obviously the VW is not 6'3" wide :Wink:
    terry

7. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

When we eventually do ours, we want 2x single beds at the rear, swivel front seats .kitchen bathroom in middle.
    We've decided we don't want to bother making up a double, and like the idea of the lounging bit. With telly at the back. Only Thing is we'd need the longer length beds being tall.

8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Love your interior ! It's fabulous. Who did the re upholstery for you ? The tables a brilliant touch too:thumb: pm me if you don't want to post on line:thumb:

9. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Alan I already have an ideal layout in my ambulance conversion -as such I am trying but failing to get as near to the layout in the new but foot shorter van :Doh: As such I have come up with the layouts I described above in my first post -so need advice/ideas/opinions as to which to go for-yes both seats will swivel to become part of lounging area just as you describe --I think what is needed is the rear seat behind the driver will pull across to the units to make a double or the 2 singles using the front seats --I am thinking more on the pulling across rather than utilizing the seats come bed time :Smile:ideas thoughts?

terry

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Having had a PVC using the front seats as part of the bed, I would recommend avoiding that layout as the seats are never really flat and so not comfortable. The front seats that claim to go flat don't really and that also makes them uncomfortable to sit on.

11. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Generally when the front seats are incorporated into the bed it's only the cushion and not the back that's used.
    We looked at a Unit with this design and the idea was to put your feet on the front seats whilst sleeping...(or whatever else) in the bed...:thumb:

12. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

That's it Terry.
    The sofa draws across to form the double bed.
    It's wide enough for both of us (and neither of us are petite) and still leaves enough room for the one nearest the sliding door to get in / out of bed without the door having to be open.

13. Terry

Terry Funster

that's what I was thinking -just seat squabs - now thinking more of simply pulling side seat over to units
    terry

14. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Thanks for the comments Ralph.
    A local upholsterer in Lincolnshire did the work.
    Carlight Caravans are based up the road from me and they use him, along with a number of VW Bay enthusiasts etc.
    I've known him for years and he's spot-on IMO.
    The table was made for us by someone I found on line.
    I can PM you all the contact details if you want them. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  15. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

"Squabs"...That's the word I was looking for...:thumb:

16. Yorick

Yorick Funster

That sounds a bit like mine. Has two 6' beds in back, that can slide together.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/introduce-yourself/72493-hello-pics-my-conversion.html

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

18. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Nearly :Laughing:

I'm 6' and plenty of room :Smile:

In fact, the bike is 2,045 mm (80.5 in) and fits in OK.

19. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

why not go for toilet/shower across the back, kitchen in middle by door, 6ft bed pull out from window side and seats turn to allow lounging or to extend bed length for taller occupants. dont overcomplicate things that dont need it:thumb:

20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

there are a couple of extra long wheelbase vans on the market that would make your layout simple to achieve. even a 24ft long iveco which is way longer and wider than other similar panel vans:thumb: