Nov 9, 2011
west lothian
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,
just came aboard mainly for advise on a couple of problems I have encountered with the second hand (2005) Bessacarr E745 that I have just bought. The owner I bought from did not explain all, and as I am unsure. I may have made some mistakes.
Questions
1, When hooking up to mains, how does the electrics work ie, do you somehow switch over to mains thus allowing you to use the 240v plugs? Does the equipment do this automatically?
or does the 240v hookup just give a constant feed to the batteries? Fear I have damaged a almost new tv trying it out!
2, I have a gasflow system, I tried the gas heating it worked great, next day I could not get it to work. The electric works fine but is more a cool day thing rather than a winter solution.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to the forums and chat now that I have found the site, and possibly making some new friends. I have only had the vehicle for 3 days!

Cheers

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi

Cant help with the gas as i dont have gaslow in mine, as for the electrics i just plug mine in and the electricity works and i assume there all the same. Some vans have a master switch that you have to switch on to get the electrics to work.

Hope this helps a bit im sure someone will be along soon to help further.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There will be a mains trip somewhere, just like in your house. Make sure this is not tripped. The electrics should come on automatically when you plug your mains cable in. Best thing to do is go round all the sockets with a table lamp out of the house and check they are all working OK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as gerry said, just plug in and go.

very occasionally the main trip switch in the van or the hookup post may trip and will need resetting.

plugging into the mains will activate your battery charger and will supply the battery with around 12.6volts

I assume the TV is a 230volt/12volt LCD type ?
many of these can be voltage sensitive on 12v operation and if the battery voltage is high (can be 14v plus when just turned engine off) it can blow the TV.

if the TV is plugged into a mains 230v socket it may be the socket breaker has tripped

an easy way to check the TV.....plug it into a mains socket which you know is working.
if it doesnt work it has been overvoltaged on 12v and not worth repairing economically.

Gaslow .....sorry cant help other than to ask does the gas hob work.....if it does then there's a problem with the gas heating

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
I have never had a bessecar but the 3 vehicles i have owned have all gone onto electric automatically when plugged in, have you checked to see if there is gas in your gaslow bottles, the previous owner may have run them low and you have finished them off when trying your heating out

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
As Pappajohn has advised but if your battery is low the gas heating may not work.

Peter

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
In my Burstner there is a button I press on the information console (i.e. the console that shows how much charge there is in the leisure battery and how much water there is in the fresh and grey water tanks).

To switch the electrics on I need to plug it into the mains as normal and then press that button. It fooled me the first time as I didn't know I needed to do that and so got no power through. Maybe there's something similar on yours.

OP
OP
L

Leswil

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
west lothian
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions.
I think I should have pointed out that the TV I tried is 110v-240v, it is almost new. After trying it in vehicle it will not activate at all, no red light, no nothing. I feel an internal fuse or something like that, is somehow damaged by connecting. I will have to take it to get fixed, then try again. I did change the plug fuse. But I hope I get the electrics worked out, and I am sure that one of the suggestions will help me with that.
Still hoping someone will come on and help me with the c/h, gasflow problem. I turned on the gas at the cooker, so there is gas in the bottles.

cheers

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
have you tried the tv in the house just to rule out the van electrics, the boiler will not light on gas if the vent cover is on outside

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi Leswill,
I have a 2000 E745, your later version may differ, but i wouldnt think greatly.
On mine both the 240v trip / fuse set up and the battery charger are side by side inside the wardrobe.
Both have a switch. Battery charger on top (lights up when "on"), 240v where you would expect to find it, on the front.
I leave both of these switched to the on position.
There is also a control panel near to the sink area. This has a battery charge indicator and switch, which I understand allows you to use power from either the leisure battery or the vehicle one.
Leave it switched to leisure.
Plug EHU in and you should have live 240v sockets, and the leisure battery charging at the same time.
Fixed gas systems are a mystery.
I found the service guys at Johns Cross more helpful with electrical advice than Swift, who built the thing!

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Gas Heater Trubs

Hi
We had a similar problem to yours in our previous van with the heater working occasionally and no apparent fault, it turned out to be the siteing of the thermostat. i.e you wanted heat but the position of the stat and the temperature in that region prevented the gas valve from operating so no heat. The dealer repositioned the stat and all OK. You may not even have a remote stat, in which case one can be fitted, its not much of a job.
On our current van the stat is sited near the door so it is always cooler than the lounge, hence you can control the demand. :Blush:.
Hope this helps.
ATB
Incamania

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back