Hellooo from Kent.... Am told you're a nice bunch... ;)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by CaptSuperFunGuy, Aug 22, 2016.

1. CaptSuperFunGuy

CaptSuperFunGuy Read Only Funster

... A nice bunch of what, I shan't say... :p

Motorhomers, obviously.. :)

Anyway, after various (smaller) campers in the past, I seem to have gone 'all in' with a 27' N&B... There's often just myself, the other half and my elderly Dogue de Bordeaux.. Occasionally though I have the honour of being able to take my 4yo son, and very rarely, my other half's 16yo boy may hide his embarrassment & disdain, and come along also...
    Am generally a 'wild camper' by nature, preferring 360 degree countryside to playing sardines with other campers..
    Having said that, am happy to plot up somewhere with the right atmosphere and facilities when I come across them, water slides for the kids, Jacuzzis for my old bones..
    Any recommendations welcome, both near and far..
    Also, I do have a plethora of questions for my more experienced new friends.... Am not sure if here is the right place to ask, or if covered to death elsewhere before, but any advice or points in right direction much welcomed... ;)
    1. My 4t '98 Ducato Maxi 2.5d (non turbo) is economical, but terrible uphill.. Is there anyone who can upgrade me to maybe 2.8jtd?
    2. Am looking to install air-suspension on my 3 axles, anyone recommend a good system, preferably with some auto-levelling?
    3. My front d/s window has condensation, I read the double glazing unit might have 'plugs' to remove & dry void out, where do I find them, how do I remove window?
    4. Recommended service & large vehicle mechanics in Kent?
    5. Am also contemplating a vinyl wrap, any do's/don'ts, and would the CC welcome a 27' leopard? :eek:

Many thanks in advance, am looking forwards to many happy holidays, and friendships also... Have just returned from South of France, was horrified to get charged €93.80 for 2 or 3 hours on A16 South, apparently I am a 'classe 4'.. Eeek.. ( ~ hence my need for more uphill power while avoiding motorways...)
    Also €40 each way to cross bridge to
    Ille de Ré... :/ ~
    6. would more power mean I could have my GTW re-calculated? (as currently too underpowered to tow a Fiat 500 etc..)

Thanks again, 16' scorpion alloys already on order.. Still looking for a lpg Genny..

Best regards, Steve & family... :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

:HelloThere: Have no idea, but others will be along to answer your queries.

3. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

:hiya2: & :welcome3::):)

4. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Hi Steve and family and a big :welcome3:.
    Does look as if you could do with a little more grunt,not you the van!!
    I had a 2.5 non turbo on a Hobby years ago and it was OK on the flat but woefully underpowered on even the slightest hill and I suspect was carrying a lot less weight than yours.
    Plus the extra axle of course.
    Is it worth investigating fitting a turbo and maybe free flowing exhaust if you can't fit the bigger engine?
    I did change the exhaust and air filter on my old 1.9td Chausson and ended up with a lot more go and better mpg.Just a thought.
    French tolls emm,highway robbery.

5. Madeinengland

Madeinengland Funster

Hello from Norfolk :hi:

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

>> Hellooo from Kent.... Am told you're a nice bunch... ;)

They lied. It's just a ploy to get you to pay £15.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

Wyn

8. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to Fun! :)

9. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi from another N+B owner although ours is 2006 Flair with IVECO 3litre turbo and goes very well.

Your front windows with condensation will be the glass units and so will not have any plugs.

You can remove the whole frame from the van quite easily and then you can carefully take the glass unit apart and have it all reassembled with new glazing bars. If you are unlucky and break the glass you can get it remade for £100 but not every double glaze place will do it, or you could shell out upwards of £3k for new units from the factory.

There is a write up of replacing ours on here somewhere but it would take a search to find it.

Martin

10. The Dude

The Dude Funster

welcome animated smiley.gif

11. CaptSuperFunGuy

Hey, thanks, see, I knew I was right.. You're all friendly & helpful, sometimes both! I shall try to get used to the 'funster' moniker..
    In avoiding the French péage, we do get so many more hills, and the dreaded roundabouts... Trying to battle the laws of physics and centripetal force whilst simultaneously conserving momentum... Hmm.. Fridge door flying open, contents everywhere, repeat...
    I am needing a new exhaust anyway BladEagle, but I don't imagine there's any 'sport power' offerings... ;) All information/links welcome tho...

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. CaptSuperFunGuy

*BaldEagle not sure why spellcheck changed it, or how to edit a previous post yet...

13. CaptSuperFunGuy

Funflair, thanks also... I had a £2800 quote from N&B, and £150 from a local glaziers..
    Obviously drilling a couple of small holes in the seals & blowing hair dryer through before silicone sealant would be even cheaper as a semi temporary fix... :)
    Am loving the layout & space in mine, but regretting being underpowered.. Budgets, eh? ;) Do you have a higher Gross Train Weight then? Mine currently 5.2t, but I think Van would have to be empty to pull car & trailer legally.. Am going to pop to a local weighbridge soon & get an accurate idea of semi-laden weight with half empty tanks.. :)

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

15. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi @CaptSuperFunGuy (good name BTW)

Your Flair might be a bit underpowered but it will be well built for sure so will just keep on going. Yes tolls are a bit steep on the tag/tandem axle versions, ours is bad enough at class 3 but I don't really want to spend all my time on motorways anyway.

We are 6T gross and 9T GTW although I have taken the tow bar off because it looked s--t and the only time it would be used would be for being towed out of fields and being RWD we will never get stuck;) (thats what @Popeye told me anyway).

Your quote of £2800 from N+B must be from the factory I guess as Travelworld would be even more, if you get them done at a double glazing place the total unit thickness will be 12mm but UK toughening plants don't like 3mm glass which the original panels use mated to 6mm spacer bars, so you will need 4mm glass 4mm spacer bars.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Stagman

Stagman Funster

:welc:
    Hello from over the border in Essex,

17. f6c

f6c Funster

Welcome aboard;)

18. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Welcome to MHF. Can't help with most of your questions but can recommend a garage in Kent where you can get your MH serviced. We've been using Thomsett of Kent at Stockbury, off the A249 for several years now and always found them to be helpful. The owner is a motorhomer himself.

Denise

19. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

A few funsters have e&p self leveling.
    I got it with rear air ride.
    Fitted by S&P in Doncaster, a chap called mick.
    @Red Sonja recommended a garage in Kent where I had a new fifth gear fitted.
    They were excellent. She may remember their name.

20. buttons

buttons Funster

Hi and Welcome.......(y)