Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Hi everyone, I have just joined the forum which has already proved to be a great source of information. I am new to the Motorhome scene but have had a caravan. Taking delivery of a beautiful Bessacarr e765 on Saturday. I am interested in taking the plunge into continental touring this summer (August) but have no idea as to the best way of planning it. I was hoping to cross into France and then head for Switzerland. What is the best way to do it? Plan a route and then stop in available sites or is it best to plan each site in advance? I am a member of the CC but sites are limited it seems.

Any advice on planning gratefully received!:roflmto:

Mike

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Mike, welcome to Fun, now Link Removed and get all the benefits available, best tenner you will ever spend:thumb:

Peter

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hello and a warm welcome from me :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi and welcome from France. :france:

I think you'll always find places to stay in France--it's a big country with lots of space.
If you book then you have to get to that place on that date--and you may have seen a great castle, fete, music festival, antiques market, that you really wanted to stop off at.
Maybe some maps, and a sat nav, have a general direction in mind and just go with the flow.

Know nothing about travelling in Switzerland I'm afraid---but someone here will. :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome from us also

Like Peter of Johns Cross said... dig in the wallet and spend the best £10 you will spend on becoming a member of the site.

August you say? The French go on holiday in August.. not a good month. But if you have to go then, check out the costs.. sites are more expensive and get booked up well in advance. Also insurance is higher for Switzerland. Plus you have to have a road tax at the boarder.. covers the day in and out, so can be expensive if you are on a site for 10 days..

Do not forget to meet the regulations (reflective jackets, tingle's first aid box, lamps etc., etc.,) get a good set of maps and consider a good sat nav system for europe. you may need to book your ferry or tunnel soon as remember this is olympic year and lots more traffic on the ferries and tunnel. Consider getting ADAC for the breakdown cover and medical help plus a lot of other things.

Anyway some bits to start you off.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome Mike:thumb: not been to France as yet myself:Doh: so cannot help but I'm sure someone will be along in a bit:Smile:

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard. Another Huntingdon (Hartford) resident here. I'll look out for you on the A141.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and Welcome

Answer really depend on a few things mainly how long do you have, if you have a short time then you might want to get there quick if you have 3 or 4 weeks you can take your time.

Personally we never book and we go in high season every year due to Daughter still being at school we have never been turned away from a site even in Annecy in th hight of summer.

You could also buy the all the aires book this is a book full of aires for motorhomes to use, what this means is somewhere for you to park up in a small village or town they range in price from free to about 12euro all though i havent seen one that price. Some of them are just basic car parks some are in lovely locations with great views.

We popped into Switzerland for the day to visit a cave while near Malbussion we traveled down through France Lux and Germany to get there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back