Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by M1ke, Mar 14, 2012.

1. M1ke

M1ke Funster

Hi everyone, I have just joined the forum which has already proved to be a great source of information. I am new to the Motorhome scene but have had a caravan. Taking delivery of a beautiful Bessacarr e765 on Saturday. I am interested in taking the plunge into continental touring this summer (August) but have no idea as to the best way of planning it. I was hoping to cross into France and then head for Switzerland. What is the best way to do it? Plan a route and then stop in available sites or is it best to plan each site in advance? I am a member of the CC but sites are limited it seems.

Any advice on planning gratefully received!:Laughing:

Mike

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi Mike, welcome to Fun, now Subscribe and get all the benefits available, best tenner you will ever spend:thumb:

Peter

3. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Hello and a warm welcome from me :Smile:

4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Hi and welcome from France. :france:

I think you'll always find places to stay in France--it's a big country with lots of space.
    If you book then you have to get to that place on that date--and you may have seen a great castle, fete, music festival, antiques market, that you really wanted to stop off at.
    Maybe some maps, and a sat nav, have a general direction in mind and just go with the flow.

Know nothing about travelling in Switzerland I'm afraid---but someone here will. :Smile:

5. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

HI Mike, welcome.

6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

welcome from us also

Like Peter of Johns Cross said... dig in the wallet and spend the best £10 you will spend on becoming a member of the site.

August you say? The French go on holiday in August.. not a good month. But if you have to go then, check out the costs.. sites are more expensive and get booked up well in advance. Also insurance is higher for Switzerland. Plus you have to have a road tax at the boarder.. covers the day in and out, so can be expensive if you are on a site for 10 days..

Do not forget to meet the regulations (reflective jackets, tingle's first aid box, lamps etc., etc.,) get a good set of maps and consider a good sat nav system for europe. you may need to book your ferry or tunnel soon as remember this is olympic year and lots more traffic on the ferries and tunnel. Consider getting ADAC for the breakdown cover and medical help plus a lot of other things.

Anyway some bits to start you off.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard.

7. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi and welcome Mike:thumb: not been to France as yet myself:Doh: so cannot help but I'm sure someone will be along in a bit:Smile:

8. Gran & Rog

Gran & Rog Funster

Hello, welcome to Fun

9. Binky

Binky Funster

Hi Mike,

Welcome aboard. Another Huntingdon (Hartford) resident here. I'll look out for you on the A141.

10. f6c

f6c Funster

welcome

Welcome aboard:Wink:

11. M1ke

M1ke Funster

Thanks for all the kind replies!:BigGrin:

12. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi and Welcome

Answer really depend on a few things mainly how long do you have, if you have a short time then you might want to get there quick if you have 3 or 4 weeks you can take your time.

Personally we never book and we go in high season every year due to Daughter still being at school we have never been turned away from a site even in Annecy in th hight of summer.

You could also buy the all the aires book this is a book full of aires for motorhomes to use, what this means is somewhere for you to park up in a small village or town they range in price from free to about 12euro all though i havent seen one that price. Some of them are just basic car parks some are in lovely locations with great views.

We popped into Switzerland for the day to visit a cave while near Malbussion we traveled down through France Lux and Germany to get there.