Hello, we are contemplating fulltiming.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sweetp, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Sweetp

Sweetp Read Only Funster

Hi everyone my name is Pauline and my husband is Tim.
    We are in the early stages of contemplating selling up and buying an RV to travel full time through Britain and Europe.
    Any advice from people already doing it would be welcome. We are both in our 40s. Thanks.
    Regards
    Pauline and Tim
    :BigGrin:

2. lorger

lorger Funster

Cant help you but thought id say hi and welcome. You will get a few along later with loads od advice and tips as many here have or are still doing it fulltime

3. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Hello and welcome :Smile:

4. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

:flyingwelcome:

5. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi Pauline and Tim

Welcome to MH Fun:welcomefunster:

6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to Motorhome fun. :welcomefunster:

7. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Welcome!
    We're new to this as well, will hopefully get the mh back after repairs before too long:Cool: maybe then we'll get back out on the road again:thumb:

8. Sweetp

Sweetp Read Only Funster

Hi
    Have you got any tips etc don`t know where to start really
    Pauline

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Pauline and Tim, there are many people who have sold up and now live full time. and lots of those people frequent these forums. so there is a lot of knowledge here..

My tip...:BigGrin:
    When you ask specific questions as opposed to general tips you will get a lot of good relevant answers. Questions like what is the best motorhome to live in Spain or Where can I get fulltimers insurance etc. will get you good information. Pop into the Fulltimers section and ask away.

Another tip, unless you are loaded ,you should try it for 6 or 12 months first. Some people are in a trap whereby they cannot get a motorhome until they sell the house, this can be dangerous, whatever you do, don't sell up and buy a brand-new motorhome. If you decide you don't like this alternative lifestyle in the first year or two you will take a massive hit when you sell it. Try renting out your house so you are not burning your bridges, but If you must sell your home; bank most of the money and buy a really old, cheap motorhome that you will get most of your money back on if you decide to go back to bricks and mortar. Good old motorhomes don't lose much money and you will almost always get back what you paid less a little:thumb: This tester will let you know whether the lifestyle is for you. You will meet lots of others doing the same and along the way you'll discover exactly what motorhome you need.

Best of luck:thumb:

• Like Like x 8
  10. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hi Sweetp!
    I assume you're looking for tips on motorhoming and not marriage, I noticed your newly married, congratulations!:thumb:
    We're married 33 years now, so know more about that than life with the mh!!:Laughing:
    I've got family in and around Hampshire, so hopefully we will be travelling down in February next year to visit them, hopefully will find a site on Hayling Island or close by.
    Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

11. JJ

JJ Funster

Hi you two and welcome to Fun...

My tip would be...

Just do it... :Wink:

(but then I am often doing things before I think myself out of them...)

I lived in an old, cheap van very happily for years... now I live in an different old, cheap van and am living in it even more happily than before... :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 4
  12. toledo

toledo Funster Life Member

hi

:thumb: hi and walcome to the fun :thumb:

13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Only been fulltiming for 2 and a half years so not as experienced as JJ.

There comes a point where too much planning and thinking about it will prevent you from doing it. Too little planning will mean problems. Getting the balance right is hard.

Personally I wouldn't fulltime in an RV if I wanted to travel a lot as you do need to plan ahead when you have a larger vehicle.

For me the important things you would need to think about when fulltiming are;
    1) Vehicle layout - very very very important. Get the wrong one and it can make things unbearable.
    2) Finances.
    3) Emergency plan.

Vehicle layout is important. My first van didn't have a lounge seat, you know one where I could lay back put my feet up and relax. I didn't think this was important as before fulltiming I didn't spend much time in the van. the first winter was a pain. There are lots of little things you need to consider when fulltiming that aren't an issue if you just go away for a week or two.

Finances are a delicate subject. You either need a steady income either from investments or a job you can do on the road. Or you need a large chunk of change if you intend to do this for any length of time.

Emergency plans are important also. If one of you falls ill, the vehicle catches fire or has an accident what will you do?

These are the three biggies in my opinion, everything else is details that can be worked out once you are on the road :Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  14. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

You will find a lot of your questions already answered on this site http://www.motorhome365.com/forum/
    it is a sister site to this one and those contributing are current, past or contemplating full timers.

Joan and I have been full timing since Feb 2010 but I have lived full time in caravans on and off since 1974.

John

15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

We fulltimed for three years ..

I agree 100% with Gromett

we got the finances wrong , we anticipated working while travelling and I'm afraid there was a big deficit .. this has a drip drip effect on any capital .. we also underestimated the costs, nor did we have an exit strategy .. it took us two years to get back on our feet and it was a big struggle..

Don't try to wing it .... have a good financial and exit plan.. then go for it

• Like Like x 3
  16. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

We recently sold our house, and our new one fell through after some developer outbid us last minute. Messed up our timings, so we were forced into it really.

Initially, a motorhome was not a worry - we hire them out, some had them there. But that doesn't mean that we wanted to loose the income for too long, so we ended up buying a caravan, of all things - purely as a stop gap.

Few things we noticed very quickly. Space - you need a spacious vehicle, so keep that in mind. What may be spacious for holidays, won't be for living in. Bathroom size has never bothered me, even the most modest is perfectly fine...until you live in it...then it does your head in! Try and find a large bathroom with full shower.

As Jim rightly pointed out - wise words in renting the house out for a trial period are best heeded! If you are paid up on the ol' mortgage, then you have little to loose, as the rent will pay for your vehicle payments, whilst your retirement capital will stay safe in bricks and mortar.....you will also have an escape route! The house will go up in value far more than any interest you pay on a loan, so look into that side of things too! Many do not like finance, (i like to pay up front myself!) but you can use it wisely, and benefit if you research costings first.

Work out sites that will accept you - many do not like full-timers, due to misunderstanding the difference between f/t's and traveller types, or just because they adhere tightly to the planning laws/club rules.

Try and stick with CL's - they need your money through the winter months more than the commercial sites, and will often be cheaper. If you travel around an area, keep a few 'next stops' lined up. Once you have 'done the circuit' you can usually rotate around a few diffferent sites, and owners will be quite happy to see you again.

Lots of things to consider!

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Another few thoughts ..

What is your motive ... why are you contemplating ?

Initially it will feel like a holiday, but after a couple of years of touring around Europe the novelty will wear off... 'been there done that' will set in .. then what ?

If you only plan to do for a fixed period, say two or three years that's fine .. but long term?

'Life is life' whether in a van or a house... you will still have all the same issues to handle, travelling has it's downsides, no real social structure, always moving on.. rootless .. at least that's how we found it.. it's not a long holiday.. it's an alternative lifestyle.. being a traveller can have just as many problems if not more than living in a house.. it's not an escape, if you think that then you will be very disappointed ..

I liken it to someone who loves chocolate and decides to get a job in Cadbury's factory.. within a few weeks they are sick of chocolate... motorhome travel is superb, it can't be beaten ... but living fulltime in one is not so great ..

• Like Like x 1
  18. maz

maz Funster

Hi Pauline and welcome to the Fun. :welcome:

I've been fulltiming for only 5 months but quickly settled into the lifestyle and enjoy it. :Smile:

I don't have an RV but a largish German motorhome, which has everything I need in a reasonable-sized vehicle. As others have said, getting the layout that works for you is very important. I did a lot of research before buying The Beastie - and have yet to find a better van for me. Buying a used van makes sense as they depreciate rapidly for the first few years then hardly at all.

Insurance can be an issue if you're fulltiming - only Comfort seem to do genuine fulltime insurance (see the other thread running for more info).

Good luck and enjoy! :thumb:

19. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I never tell them I am a full timer. It's none of their business for a start :Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

20. Gromett

Gromett Funster

In your opinion:reel:......

I still love fulltiming and haven't got round to doing what I want to do while fulltiming yet. Still have years in me :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1