Free Member
Oct 4, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm currently looking at buying a motorhome. I currently have a caravan which we have had some great holidays in but feel like we don't use the van as much as we'd like to at weekends or for short breaks.

I'd be interested to hear from fellow forum users who have made the switch to get their views, especially on how you find not having a car once on site.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello welcome to fun, I should hazard a guess that at least half the motorhomers on here have owned a caravan at some time, we certainly have, and a very small proportion revert back to a caravan lots more freedom and for Europe perfect. :welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi & welcome Duzzied

We have been caravanners for over 20 years and collected our mh on Monday.:)

When we sat and looked at how we used the caravan we realised we had been staying in places that you didn't need the car anyway. So, I would say that doing plenty of research beforehand is key. However, if it all goes belly up then you can just up sticks and move on elsewhere.(y)

Though I 'spose I could be talking aload of nonsense :LOL:- we leave tomorrow for our first trip out, a week in the New Forest. Can't wait.

Whatever you decide to do enjoy the forum and ask away, as Carol already said, lots of members own/have owned a caravan.:)

Deb

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi and a wonderful welcome to the Fun fab world of Funsterisum :)
:welc::welc::welc::welc::welc::welc::welc:

weebill

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2014
aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Hi and welcome
We caravan need for 10 years before buying our first motorhome.
It's all about the planning,like checking how close your stop is to public transport or proximity to local amenities .
We also carry bikes with pannier bags for shopping trips
:)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello
clear.png

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
:hi: Welcome, enjoy your travels and travails.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi Duzzied and welcome to the fun.
We caravanned for 20 years but changing to the motorhome was the best thing we ever did.
It does, however, depend on what type of holiday you like. If you like to select one site and go out for days and return to the same site then either a caravan or smaller motorhome would probably suit.
If you like to move around (as we do) then it is far more convenient with a M/H. We carry a couple of bikes on the back so we can explore the immediate area (and keep a little bit fitter).
Not having a car is not a problem for us as we move around quite a lot.
I would say we use the motorhome at least 4 times as much as we did the caravan as you can just get in and go.
Good luck with whatever you choose. (y)
John & Jan

OP
OP
D

Duzzied

Free Member
Oct 4, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think we've made our mind up on moving over to a motorhome, just need to sort the funds out and sell the van (if anyone knows anyone looking let me know).

Baycott - We tend to do our main holiday in Europe touring around for a couple of weeks then another week in late september touring till we find somewhere we like. The other reason behind getting a motorhome is that we feel we'll use it more at weekends as it will be less flaff than hooking up the car and caravan and towing, especially if we're only away for one night.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there and welcome to MHF from us 2:)
brian and jo

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We changed to a MH about 6 years ago and have loved it since, unless we need to be at a specific site for a reason we don't even book. The summer we spent 3 weeks in Scandinavia with only the outward and return ferry booked can't do that in a caravan, we also use ours for days out and one night breaks due to my shift work.

OP
OP
D

Duzzied

Free Member
Oct 4, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Do any of you tow a car behind on a trailer or a frame?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back