Hello, slightly apprehensive newbi (1 Viewer)

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Hello everyone. We've just completed our Sprinter conversion and will hopefully be heading off through Europe next week.

It's a 318 Sprinter 4x4 (for when we head off through Africa, assuming we survive the next few weeks!)
For the petrol heads it's a 3.0V6 diesel, 190bhp, 440Nm with selectable 4wd.

I'm slightly apprehensive as this is our first camper van and first extended trip. So will we actually like it and will we get on for a long period:)

Vaugue route:
Through eastern France, Italy, ferry to Corfu, mainland Greece, maybe ferry to Crete then back up through Croatia. I guess apart from the above some of this will depend on the weather.

I think we will do the Dover-Dunkirk crossing. At the moment I don't think we will stop off in the UK the night before, I can't find anywhere that looks cheap and appealing around dover. Unless anyone has a suggestio?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hi Russ,
Have a think about travelling to Greece via Croatia, Montengro and Albania. Great journey and will save you some money on ferry costs. We did it in 2014 - got info on this if you want it.
welcome animated smiley.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So will we actually like it and will we get on for a long period:)

Vaugue route:
Through eastern France, Italy, ferry to Corfu, mainland Greece, maybe ferry to Crete then back up through Croatia. I guess apart from the above some of this will depend on the weather.

Will you get on + long tortuous route. Like jumping off the White Cliffs and Calais or bust.

It takes time to get used to MH living especially in a new build. Why not settle for Italy and back, that will tell you all you need for now.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
How exciting. My husband converted a new xlwb Peugeot van . We love our Pug. It's got everything we want on , and in it. Plus nothing we don't.

It would be great having a 4WD vehicle . If only to get off the wet boggy grass, let alone go round Africa !
Please post some pictures of your finished result , inside and out.

Can't help with your request , but welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will be along to help you shortly.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
:HelloThere: & :welcome3:. Yes please do post some photo's. It'd be really nice to see the conversion. Apart from that, have some great adventures. Do life before life does you.

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
IMG_20160719_1654009_rewind.jpg
IMG_20160719_1702434_rewind.jpg
IMG_20160719_1700185_rewind.jpg
Wow what a great welcome:)

I like that "do life before life does you", that pretty much sums up where we are. We've both jumped ship from stupid employers, so this needs to work!
Some photos hopefully attached. It's built with overland travel for 2 in mind, a permanent double bed, fridge/freezer and shower/toilet seemed to be as much as we needed / wanted. Although it's got heating we're not planning on being sat inside it much or going anywhere cold and wet.

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
I can't figure out how to edit a post so just wanted to say what a great source of information this forum is. I've literally only found it today and have already bookmarked and saved loads of useful info.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Hi Russ,
Have a think about travelling to Greece via Croatia, Montengro and Albania. Great journey and will save you some money on ferry costs. We did it in 2014 - got info on this if you want it.
View attachment 122111
Well do want to see Italy, especially the south, hence the route plus we've never been to Corfu. We will probably return via Albania, Montenegro and Croatia though so any pointers greatfully received:)

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Will you get on + long tortuous route. Like jumping off the White Cliffs and Calais or bust.

It takes time to get used to MH living especially in a new build. Why not settle for Italy and back, that will tell you all you need for now.
I'm know, hence a little apprehension.
We've trialled it for a night in Wales before it was finished which wasn't great and a week jn Devon where it worked just great.
Its a risk but hey it'll be fine:)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
When we travel via the tunnel we always stop at Gravelines aire. Around six euro if I remember right but I am sure only a few pay

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
View attachment 122147 View attachment 122148 View attachment 122149 Wow what a great welcome:)

I like that "do life before life does you", that pretty much sums up where we are. We've both jumped ship from stupid employers, so this needs to work!
Some photos hopefully attached. It's built with overland travel for 2 in mind, a permanent double bed, fridge/freezer and shower/toilet seemed to be as much as we needed / wanted. Although it's got heating we're not planning on being sat inside it much or going anywhere cold and wet.

Wonderful photo's. I never knew that there was a snorkel available for the Sprinter, we learn something new everyday or as someone once said, everyday's a school day. Your van looks very able to do the job. We have a LWB Sprinter which we've owned for a couple of years & its uber reliable, hope yours will be too.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Russ welcome to Fun, I see you have used your 5 free posts up, it really is worth investing the £15 to become a full member, giving you unlimited posts access to all the information the site had to offer in fact help at the click of your finger.

:welcomesign:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
it really is worth investing the £15 to become a full member, giving you unlimited posts access to all the information the site had to offer i fact help at the click of your finger.

You smooth talkin' smooth talker you, no wonder you were the number one anti-freeze sales person in Dubai.

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
IMG_20160514_085413_kindlephoto-373650919.jpg
A snorkel on a motorhome :eek:

I hope all your doors are well sealed or it may get a bit damp wading those African rivers.
It's more for clean air in dust, even though it's the 4x4 version it's basically a standard van intake system which doesn't have any dust or water separation. On previous trips to Morocco I've seen air filters clogged within days. Having said that when I changed the air filter the air box was full of dried muddy water so although it's raised by 120mm over a "normal" sprinter it's still possible for it to self destruct due to water.

It is quite high though:)

Here it is next to my brother in laws T5

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Russ and a big :welcome3: from Portugal,looks like you have the right tool for the job!
Just go as far as you want and see what happens.Thats the beauty of motorhoming.Enjoy.

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Thanks again everyone, we're hopefully off next Wednesday. As usual you have forever to sort things out and then it's a mad rush cramming stuff into the last minute

We're traveling from north Shropshire so the plan at the moment is to use the ferry Dover to Calais or Dunkirk (we like the idea of stretching our legs on the ferry rather than the tunnel) then head south for a couple of hours through France.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a stop over?

Then head to Beaune (just south of Dijon) on the auto route. Probably hang around there for a day or two and then carryon south but on non motorway/toll roads.

If I get chance I'll start another thread of the actual build. Fortunately I had some knowledgeable help but I have admit it took waaay longer than I expected and the spreadsheet I started to track costs didn't last long either!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome ,
Have you got the aires book from vicarious which will give you loads of places to stop.
Have a great trip!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks again everyone, we're hopefully off next Wednesday. As usual you have forever to sort things out and then it's a mad rush cramming stuff into the last minute

We're traveling from north Shropshire so the plan at the moment is to use the ferry Dover to Calais or Dunkirk (we like the idea of stretching our legs on the ferry rather than the tunnel) then head south for a couple of hours through France.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a stop over?

Then head to Beaune (just south of Dijon) on the auto route. Probably hang around there for a day or two and then carryon south but on non motorway/toll roads.

If I get chance I'll start another thread of the actual build. Fortunately I had some knowledgeable help but I have admit it took waaay longer than I expected and the spreadsheet I started to track costs didn't last long either!
If going to France next week I suggest keep up to date on possible problems on the road. This Thread gives more info. Hopefully you will be fine but best to be prepared - full tank of water, a few tins of food, wine, etc. :)
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/french-operation-snail-from-5-september.137402/

OP
OP
R

Russ Humphreys

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Trefonen
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbi
Yes got it thanks.
Although we've travelled through France before it's not been in a camper so Aires are new to us.

From what I've seen/read they can be "variable". We've wild camped (in a tent) in Morocco amongst a few other places so we're ok with the concept.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yes got it thanks.
Although we've travelled through France before it's not been in a camper so Aires are new to us.

From what I've seen/read they can be "variable". We've wild camped (in a tent) in Morocco amongst a few other places so we're ok with the concept.
Motorway aires are a no no for us at night but great for respite during the day. We've just had 2 weeks in Normandy and Brittany and had 13 out of 14 nights on aires various prices some free!
Enjoy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back