Hello...!! & probably a dumb question....

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Taff015, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Taff015

Taff015 Read Only Funster

Hi, I found this site whilst spending hours and hours scouring the internet for motorhomes!!

We have decided that now is the time for us to get our first MH so are saving like mad. I'm aiming to have $25k (I mean pounds but i'm using a US keyboard sorry!)

One question if I may? We need a 6 berth and after looking at various layouts have decided that an end U or L shaped lounge is best for our needs (2 adults, 2 kids).
    We need a 6 berth as my youngest is disabled and requires his own bed and space to stretch out as he cant sit, hence the U or L shape in the back.

So far, my wife likes the Autotrail Scout, I have found that the Arapaho is slightly longer and is a tag axle but essentially the same inside all be it longer.

Is there any issues with owning and using the Arapaho over the Scout? will the fact that its a tag axle and 8.5 meters long cause problems at campsites in the UK or Europe? Or does anyone have any better ideas? I'm always open to suggestions (I love the Itenio SB740 but have no where near enough for that!! )

I know I said 1 question and I asked 3, but maths was never my strong point!!!

Many thanks in advance

Taff

• Like Like x 2
  2. bartiny

bartiny

Hi and Welcome,
    An idea of your budget would help with suggestions, I do not have any experience of Autotrail, but they look good and are popular.
    We have an older version of the one in the link below, we have had it for 6 years and love it, although only 2 of us, but it does have the layout you are after.
    You could get your hands on one sub £10k, but they do not come up for sale that often (not that I have noticed anyway)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181873613253?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Good luck with your search (y)

3. Taff015

Hi bartiny,

Thanks for your answer. I'm looking to spend up to 25k, but less would be better!!

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Errr !!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

Hi Taff015 - welcome!
    Just a basic question - do you have the appropriate driving licence for the above 3500Kg motorhomes?
    We have an Auto-Trail Apache (which has a U-shaped lounge but it's not 6 berth) and have no complaints.
    Good luck with your search!
    Bill

6. bartiny

bartiny

Senior moment :(

• Like Like x 2
  7. Taff015

Hi Bill,

Yeah Both my wife and I are older....so our licenses are ok. I also have C+E so no real issue.

8. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

Taff015 - that's good news - not that I can get my wife to do much driving in the motorhome! Have a look at the Auto-Trail Apache 700 as that might just meet your needs and might be a bit cheaper than the Frontier Scout or Arapaho.

9. bartiny

bartiny

You will have to pay a membership fee ATM = £10.00 to post more than 5 times.
    Worth every penny for the full year, goes up to £15.00 on the (i think) 1st October(y)

10. Taff015

Hi Bill_OR,

Why is the Apache 700 cheaper? Looking on autotrader they do indeed seem to be cheaper than the other 2. Is it down to trim levels or something as they do look the same!

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Had a tag Chieftain for about 18 months now.. absolutely NO issues anywhere, even travelling some of the tiny roads in Croatia and even smaller roads of Cornwall !

12. Taff015

Thanks for the info regarding subscription...... Funds paid, hopefully will kick in soon, or this will be my last post until it does!

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Taff, would bunk beds work for your daughter?

If so, worth considering, you can get an Adria 670SK in your price range, which has a quirky layout that kids like.

I almost plumped for a Mizar GTI Living Top Class but it wouldn't fit on the drive - but that has bunks and a great front lounge area (I believe you can seat 9 in comfort in the front lounge).

To be honest in the 25k category, there is lots to choose from, you need to decide on layout and if you want to use it in all weathers. If you fancy a bit of winter camping, get a European model as they are winterised and you can go away skiing with no problems. If it's just for use in summer, then consider British built too,

14. M1ke

M1ke Funster

Hi and welcome to the forum. From experience, make sure that the first thing you look at on any motorhome is that it has genuine passenger seats in the habitation area, forward facing with proper seat belts for the children. Most older motorhomes don't and people have bodged up lap belts on side facing bench seats which are dangerous and illegal. Good luck!

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

Taff015 - a good question! The Frontier range is the top-of-the-range range that A-T make. There's a hefty premium in the price difference between the Frontier and the Apache ranges. Perhaps if and when I can afford to buy a Frontier model I will have a better appreciation of what the premium is paying for!
    If you do go looking for an Apache 700 then make sure the specific vehicle has sufficient seat belts for your needs as well as berths. This is not something than can be easily added later!
    Bill

16. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Hi Taf
    have you considered buying from Europe ? You can save a few quid on sites like www.mobile.de

17. Taff015

Bunk beds are a last resort tbh. The only reason I mentioned the Itineo SB740 is because the rear seats also convert into a bed. I seem to like A frames as well for some unknown reason!

Basically, one of us will need to sleep next to the small one as he needs 24 hr care and lots of medicines etc etc. A fixed rear bed wont give us the flexibility of a rear dinette I fear.

The basic idea is to use the MH in the UK for weekends with the 4 of us and then tour France etc with the older one when small boy is at the respite care hospices.

We also like the rear lounge option as it gives us somewhere else to sit as opposed to the center seats.

My main concern was to the length of said vehicles. I would hate to be turned away from campsites due to length.

Is there a time of the year when MH are cheaper?

Once again, thanks for all your comments

18. Taff015

Hi Laird,

Is there any issues with buying from Germany? Tax, re-registration? We were looking at MH is Germany when I was stationed there but it wasn't the right time for us.

I'm not adverse to driving LHD. I drove RHD in Germany for 15 years with no issues so the reverse in the UK hopefully shouldn't be too hard and would certainly make European visits easier!

19. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Use the site that Laird posted and get yourself a good motorhome from Germany. I did that earlier this year knowing the square root of FA and armed with lots of research from here and other websites got an A Class motorhome when all I could afford in the UK was coachbuilt. Sure, there's some paperwork involved and some leg work but there are a legion of people that can talk you through it and, actually is pretty straight forwards. Now until Feb/March is a good time to buy.

But seriously- I must have put 100 hours plus research into getting one. Write a list of 'must haves' or any barriers (i.e. I live in London so need to meet emissions). Then go from there. Plenty of filters that are on various websites.

Think about sleeping arrangements. I assume you'll want a bit of downtime to have a glass of two with your missus when the kids go to bed. So you'll need a lounge, but also easy access to the sleeping area so not to disturb kids (so a pull down cab bed may not work for you). I agree about fixed beds. Steals space that can be used for kids messing about during the day.

Feel free to drop me a line if you want any advice on importing :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Oh and driving LHD over here is a doddle. Even the missus drives it now.

• Like Like x 1