Free Member
Mar 15, 2015
derby
Funster No
MH
eldis autostratus CK -
Exp
since 2008
my name is Lisa, my hubby and I have owned a 1996 peugeot eldis autostratus CK 1.9D for about 5 years. we love it, its old, slow,very rattly, scratched, knocked (my fault) and a little leaky too. we love our 2nd home, and have been round europe with kids in summer holidays and away most weekend, the van has done 50k miles in the 5 years we've had it, it is not for a few weeks in summer. we've driven up glacial rds in switzerland, spent a week skiing in it, a boiling summer in croatia... you get the idea.
anyway nows the time for payback :(
had to do the following(not ourselves we're usless)
cam belt, fuel pump, diesel heater repair, fridge, back wall,
and now the MOT failed on welsing, roof leaking, and back supsension seems very low
oh dear.. im hoping for advice, im still very much in love with our van so cant bear to give her up without a fight.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello welcome to fun, hope you can get your van sorted out, :welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Hello and Welcome :) It sounds like you've had some great use out of your van and I sure you'll be able to keep it on the road, always a lot of help on here :)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi Lisa and welcome from Eastbourne :welc:

OP
OP
campermad

campermad

Free Member
Mar 15, 2015
derby
Funster No
MH
eldis autostratus CK -
Exp
since 2008
anyone know if the rear suspension can be pumped up? or is it case of new Springs? is that mega expensive.
ive never dare joined a forum before so should I start a new post in another forum topic?
im keen to do family friendly meets as any excuse to get out in our van is welcone

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
anyone know if the rear suspension can be pumped up? or is it case of new Springs? is that mega expensive.
ive never dare joined a forum before so should I start a new post in another forum topic?
im keen to do family friendly meets as any excuse to get out in our van is welcone
You're ok.
On an aside.... Join up on this site, it will cost you a tenner..... After you make 5 posts as a free member you become a "read only" member and can't post..... It will be the best £10 you will spend.

Now,
Is your MH on an Alko chassis? If so there is a known axle issue... Do a search as there is a good thread on the Alko rear axles. If it doesn't have the Alko chassis then a couple of springs may sort you out.
Your MH will have a plate under the bonnet telling you if there is an Alko chassis fitted.

OP
OP
campermad

campermad

Free Member
Mar 15, 2015
derby
Funster No
MH
eldis autostratus CK -
Exp
since 2008
@Jonkil have just paid the £10, thanks well worth the investment

and will look at our van and the plate you mentioned once we get it back from. having the drivers sill welded, should have MOT then, sounds like we dont this alko chassis, touch wood it be a cheap spring replacement

and thank you all so. much for the wonderful welcome

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Please don't worry this is a really friendly forum, yes if you have any particular questions start a thread with the question in the title as plainly as possible. To get the full benefit of the forum full membership is so worth it £10 a year, you get discounts, meets and rally's to go to. Your van suits you well so ask the questions and good luck with it getting back on the road.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The only issue that concerns me is the water ingress. Identify the source and seal it properly. You can't ignore this as only gets worse and spreads, causeing more damage. Mechanical problems can be relatively straight forward in comparison.,.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! I suggest you start a new thread, not everyone will read introductory posts. In Motorhome Chat or Tech/Mech General will do.
If you are not into DIY you probably need to find someone who can look at the vehicle and see what the problem is. It is possible, for example, you have a major damp problem and this needs identifying soonest if you intend to keep the vehicle.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Hi and welcome from Devon
welcome-sign11.gif

How's your DIY skill sounds like you have a bit to do .all the better feeling when its done :)

OP
OP
campermad

campermad

Free Member
Mar 15, 2015
derby
Funster No
MH
eldis autostratus CK -
Exp
since 2008
thanks for you kind replies, yes we have damp. problem, actually drips!! a local MH dealer has said we have to take roof box off and totally reseal and re fit, as that is likley culprit,
hope that fixes it, we cant afford the full search where they strip everything back etc, so we have to do what we can afford unfortunately :(
the MH os almost 20 years old, so I'm expecting it may end up costing us too much to upkeep, but engine wise its perfect now after fuel pump replaced.
i have paid the 10 and awaiting my upgrade so can join in properly
thanks everyone for being so nice ;)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
20 year old is not particularly old for a MH, there's a few older ones on here.

Damp is the killer for a MH, you must find the source of the leak and seal it and then make sure if has all dried out and not caused any long term damage.
Good luck with it.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi & welcome :)

Sounds like you've had some great adventures and hopefully more to come. There's lots of very knowledgable folk on here (y)

We're not too far from you either:)

Motorhome Muppets

Free Member
Dec 1, 2014
Nr Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome. As you're from Derby, you may like to try CK Caravans in Stoke on Trent for a quote - we have found him very knowledegeable and competative with prices. Our van is 19 years old and he looks after ours. he does get very busy though.

Apr 23, 2014
Naarfook
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
5 years
Hello and welcome, sounds like more fun coming your way. :welc:

OP
OP
campermad

campermad

Free Member
Mar 15, 2015
derby
Funster No
MH
eldis autostratus CK -
Exp
since 2008
Obviously The Right Stuff.

The back wall may be easy DIY, the rest it's ££££ to the experts.

Fridge may be easy, what's wrong ?
fridge stopped getting cold on gas, it eneded up being like it is on 12v - we bought a used one one ebay and got fotted and doesnt match but works a dream, if anyone wants to buy our old electrolux for spares??
cam belt and fuel pump together cost over£1000 at peugeot, limited around here at garages that can fit our 22ft beast of a van :)
back wall was resealled and is now fine
big thing is welding which is getting done now, and the suspension being low, not an advisory or anything but its very low compared to how it was 2 years ago.
oh and the leaking,
once we have MOT this week, theres nothing that will stopping us going to france away easter though, wahay

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Hiya. I`ve a MH that hits 20 this year too and it`s getting some tlc over the next few weeks to sort out the damp problem. The engine is fine and a new radiator (which weighed half the weight of the old one !) filled with JCB fluid and auxiliary fan solved an overheating problem. No problems running around France last August.
If you have the time you can easily fix what you need done. This site is really mega for help and advice and You Tube is a good source to have a look at what others have achieved. As has been said before you need to identify where the leak is and seal it first. It may not be where you think it is because of the battens in the wall structure - as I found out. Magnum Motorhomes and O`Leary `s have most stuff you may need. Good luck and welcome to the site

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and the suspension being low, not an advisory or anything but its very low compared to how it was 2 years ago.

Our next door neighbour had his rear springs overhauled at what seemed quite reasonable cost, they can heat and re-set them and even add another leaf. It's cheap old blacksmith technology.

Or you could look out for a cheap air spring set, they do come up occasionally.

If you ever want a really genuine second opinion look up member GEO, he's got a family garage in Mansfield, both him and his son are keen MHs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back