Hello! I'm new to this!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Casbalti, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Casbalti

Casbalti Read Only Funster

Hi everyone,
    Sorry I am new to this and am yet to purchase a motor home but was hoping to find some friendly & helpful people that might be able to advise for my future plans.

I haven't been camping since I was a child but really enjoyed it and wanted to look into it again. Personally I was thinking of an RV due to the home comforts & ability to go anywhere and explore the UK & Europe whilst being completely self sufficient but due to the extreme costs and maintenance associated I am now investigating a "Fifth Wheel" however although I have done allot of research I am yet to ascertain if my UK (2004) driving license will permit me as sources on the Internet seem to be conflicting and the Direct Gov website is not particularly clear! Can anyone advise?

I should say that I did want a stationary caravan (again due to comforts and being a "home from home" etc) but being "stationary" was very limiting hence trying to find a compromise!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated! Thanks for reading and nice to have met you :)
    Charley.

2. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi and welcome cant help you will licence as im not 100% sure think things changed around about 1997, im sure someone will be along soon to help as we have a few 5th wheeler s on here

3. Casbalti

Hi Gerry, thanks and a pleaseure to have met you! :)

4. Casbalti

I should also say I was only thinking of a small RV not one of those giant ones lol!

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

unless you have taken more driving tests other than standard car licence at any time since 1996, you will be very limited to what you can drive. that is up to 3.5 tonne and no trailer . basically rules out any RV or 5th wheel setup unless you upgrade your licence first.

loads of info discussed on here about this just a few days back

6. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

as long as you passed your test before 97 your licence allows you to drive up to 7500kg so if looking american you will need to find one that comes in under that but allows enough payload for family and personal items, if it should weigh more than that you need to take a test to drive a higher class.
    If you passed after 97 you are restricted to 3500kg and need to pass another test to move up to the next weight class

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  7. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

:welcome:

8. Casbalti

Hi thebig1, thanks for the info... I was hoping that would not be the case! Although I consider myself to be a good driver I am not good under exam conditions! But looks like I have little choice.

Thanks for giving me a straight answer though, and sorry I did not see the other related post via google ill have a hunt for it now.

All the best!
    Charley.

P.s. nice rig!!!

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

hi and welcome to the fun. As a newbie you may well be making some assumptions. RV normally refers to American motorhomes, I don't think any of them come under 3500kgs (I could be wrong) however there are lots of other vans out there that do; up to around 28ft, I don't believe they have much in the way of payload at the max length. There are quite a few vans around 6-7mtrs that have a decent payload you just have to keep looking.
    Make a list of wants, would like, and don't want. Print it out then when you look at a van tick the boxes and see how they compare.

10. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

what to buy

Don't know how many of you but you could be like us and buy something old and smallish at first to see if you take to motorhoming. Then you can upgrade to something better. You don't have to lose much if anything if you're good at haggling. We're on our fourth motorhome now and still loving it.

11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Apart from your licence restrictions, most RVs will restrict you going 'everywhere' because of their size. You can be self contained in a 6M euro motorhome, which will go everywhere and you can drive it on your licence :thumb:

12. Casbalti

Hi Wildman, thankyou yes I definitely am lacking In knowledge and have simply been relying on YouTube and google (which is great when you know what questions to ask)

I was hoping to find a vehicle which has a slide out compartment for more space which is why I was thinking of RV'd etc but your advice is good and I will certainly look into this! :)

13. Casbalti

Hi Reallyretired, yeah now that I know I cannot run a fifth wheel rig it probably does make sense to look at something smaller to begin with...

14. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Hi from another newby

Well you have picked a good place to ask for advice. I have found them to be a right friendly bunch. Welcome to the funsters:thumb:

15. f6c

f6c Funster

welcome

Welcome aboard:Wink: