Hello, good evening and...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Macoli, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Macoli

Macoli Read Only Funster

...I'll tell you a bit about me!

I'm just going to be made redundant, and so my wife and I are going to go touring for about 5 weeks during the school holidays(she works in a school). We originally were going to buy a camper, but have now decided that it would be most pragmatic for us to hire one instead.

We're going for a 2-4 berth coachbuilt, as a panelvan type won't have enough space for us and the dog. We could cram ourselves into a panelvan, but the idea of coming back from walking the dog in the rain and then getting everything in the van wet, day after day, does not appeal...

We would like to do a bit of "wild"* camping, most likely in the Highlands but if there are soem nice opportunities to do so in England and Wales too then we'd like to try!
    So what tips can you give us?

M.

*I've wild camped before - but only with a tent.

2. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Hi...

My only tip is to have Fun....

Have a great time guys......The only real way to learn is to go out there and do it.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing....Before committing to purchasing a van or not.

See if you love the lifestyle first and then make the decision from there....

The most important thing is finding the layout that suits you.

Steve.

3. movan

movan Funster Life Member

And if you are near a rally come along and talk to everyone.... we arn't salesmen so we will tell you the cons as well as the pros of the vans we chose .... and you can then decide what is most important to you.:Smile:

4. madbluemad

madbluemad

Just a thought when I was breaking my back over the weekend cleaning the mh.

Does anybody ever consider when buying a mh the amount of hard work and effort that its going to take to wash and clean it. Could be a deal make or break point for me.

Jim
    :Wink:

5. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

On the cleaning point are there no industrial MH washes like car washes?

6. Macoli

Macoli Read Only Funster

Cleaning? What's that? Patina, surely!!:BigGrin:

7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome to fun, good idea to try before you buy, 5 weeks hire would be quite costly so may be worth looking around in the mean time never know you may get a bargain, Scotland is brilliant for camping, but you can wild camp in Wales as well, a quick look on the forums can point you in the right direction.
    As one of the above posts see if and of fun rallys going on somewhere near you, then you can pick any ones brains as to what is what. Good Look and enjoy. :welcomefunster:

8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

PS. If you click on the forums bar and scroll down you will come to wild camping sites this may give you a idea for wild camping. :Smile: