Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Greetings to everyone, we are seriously looking, but perhaps first learning, about Motorhomes in general (and Fiat X250 gearboxes in particular!) before we strike out. My wife, Chris, and I are both semi-retired, with full retirement looming at an incredible pace (although the bus pass doesn't come until later this year). We are after something that will see us through the intervening years, perhaps accommodating our grandchildren (although the younger one not quite ready yet), before we set out exploring Europe for longer trips. We are lapsed caravanners, but Motorhomes have always appealed. We have been kindly invited to join in a local MH Owners club meetings to learn as much as possible before the cheque is written.
Steve

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Steve and welcome to the fun club. I'm from the wirral also, didnt know that we had a local mh club.

Were at the same stage as you but we have a mh, practicing for retirement but in the mean time having a good time wandering here and there.

Cheers
Jim
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
(and Fiat X250 gearboxes in particular!)..... perhaps accommodating our grandchildren (although the younger one not quite ready yet),
Steve

X250 is a disgrace.

Grandchildren - we bought with them in mind and they've slept in it once in our drive. Luckily the van is fine for the two of us but we may have bought one with more lounge space and less seat belts if the grandchildren had not been in our mind. So think carefully about this. We never took into account limited school holidays and grandchildren with their own pattern of friends and activities. Not much space on sites during school holidays.

So go buy a Ford or Renault or Mercedes to suit the two of you and you will have a ball.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Steve:welcome:

I would keep well away from new Fiat based vans till all the problems have been sorted with them, they have been trouble since their launch. Go for a Merc, Renault or a Ford, not so much choice but it could be far less trouble.

Hope you enjoy your new hobby when you finally get mobile.

Dave

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Greetings to everyone, we are seriously looking, but perhaps first learning, about Motorhomes in general (and Fiat X250 gearboxes in particular!) before we strike out. My wife, Chris, and I are both semi-retired, with full retirement looming at an incredible pace (although the bus pass doesn't come until later this year). We are after something that will see us through the intervening years, perhaps accommodating our grandchildren (although the younger one not quite ready yet), before we set out exploring Europe for longer trips. We are lapsed caravanners, but Motorhomes have always appealed. We have been kindly invited to join in a local MH Owners club meetings to learn as much as possible before the cheque is written.
Steve
Hi stevelecy make sure you have a look in the classifieds on this site there are some nice vans:thumb:and stay away from x250:Angry: ford,merc or renault are the vehicles to go for and cater for yourself first you are the ones who will spend all the time in the van, the grandchildren can get comfy on a converted diner:thumb: or safari room,and it will be an adventure for them.Best of luck:thumb:bazfergy

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hello Steve and welcome to the club. We used to live on the Wirral.
We are newcomers, too, but spent time going to the shows trying to find what sort of layout we needed. We bought a second hand old German one.
We found nice vans with facing bench type seats ( no good for us as we need 4 seatbelts and they can't be fitted on side seats). Saw a good van with overcab beds and double on lounge (no good as, if trips to the loo in the night are a must, you wake everyone up!)
When you find your pride and joy I hope you have a great time.
Lucille

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Choosing the right van for you is difficult without actual experience. Our first van was almost - but not quite - right so we changed quite quickly.

Maybe a good idea to go for a cheap, secondhand, first with the intention of upgrading in the light of experience. This way a mistake costs you less.

Re the chassis comments, in defense of the X250 (mine is actually a boxer but they are the same) they are a delight to drive, much nicer than any other van I have experienced. Yes they have had scuttle leaks,, mine now has an engine cover. But my suspicion is that this issue is mainly cosmetic, and easily fixed anyway with some tape. Difficult for me to comment on the judder issue, which is the other published problem, because mine does not suffer from it at all.

What I would say is I had a merc 316 in my first van, it was unreliable, and in comparison to the Boxer felt like an old cart to drive, much noiser (I can hear the radio in the boxer!) and less nimble or comfortable. Maybe I was just unlucky but I personally would not have another merc.

Whatever you choose, motorhoming is delightful!

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
We have gone and done it!

Still in shock, we today agreed a price and paid a deposit on an Aug 06 Burstner Marano T595, and hope to pick it up next weekend. I won't bore everyone with the details, but this is in fantastic condition, very low mileage (with a sad story to support it), totally HPI clear, and learning we will go! Oh I hope we don't seriously embarass ourselves at our first pitch, but hey-ho, we are fast learners. We ended up with one of the last of the "old" style Fiat Ducatos, with a five-speed box, so hopefully will steer clear of some of the problems that others may have suffered. Cab is not as pretty as the new ones, though, but, hell, neither am I!
Will continue to watch the posts as there is clearly a wealth of experience behind many of the forum members.
Steve::bigsmile:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
make shore you test drive any van before you buy .try all makes first .
even the x250 .:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back