Hello from sunny Greece

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Pat4Neil, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

Hello all

We have been in Greece for a week now and are having such a great time.

We have stayed on some fantastic wild camps, first at Ammoudia, and now Kanali overlooking the sea.

At Ammoudia we did a great Kayaking trip along the river about 10km, we say great wildlife, kingfishers, nightingales, adders, and a Beaver. The only problem I had was getting out of the kayak and fell into the river and made a right pr.t of my self, no change there then.

We have met up with some other people from another forum, and some great dutch people.

We are in Preveza and have just had a most delicious kebab on the port side.

We hope to get to Lefkada in the next few days, but we are in no hurry.

Hope all is well in UK.

Regards Pat and Neil

2. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Glad you are enjoying yourself, dont say fell in say you wanted to cool off

3. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

Glad you are having such a good time . You have made me wonder though. If there was a good Kebab house on the port side, what was on the starboard side ?

Sorry, feeling jealous :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

4. tantanell

tantanell Read Only Funster

sounds great! I'm planning to go to Zante for the summer, going through France first to visit family and friends, then driving around to Italy via the Almalfi coast, then ferry from maybe Ancora or bari to patras. I'd be in interested in which route you took and/or ferry?
    I know the Almafi coast is supposed to be a bit hairy (!!haha) but I've only got a small VW and plenty of nerve and time, cant wait!

5. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

I'm green, have a great time:thumb:

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Cheers for the update Pat, wish I was there. Have a great trip the pair of you, come into chat and tell us all about it.

7. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Lovely to hear you are having such a fabulous time xxxxx

8. davvidof

davvidof Read Only Funster

Great photos

Great photos from Greece 2009:BigGrin: Hopefully you will post some of this trip when you get time? We are planning a longish trip to Greece ourselves next Spring so are interested in yours. :BigGrin:

Happy Holidays

Dave

9. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Have a great trip Pat, keep us updated and look forward to the pictures.:thumb: We will go when you get two EURO for a pound.:Eeek::Laughing: Bob and Jane.

10. Pat4Neil

Hello all

Still having a great time, still at the same place, the sea is so inviting and its and we are right there next to it.

Max and Hans left us yesterday to move on to Lefkades, we went there on the scooter and did 125 miles looking for a spot to move to. Lefkade is beautiful but it can wait to after the weekend.

Hot sunny with a nice breeze, had the best Lamb Kleftico yesterday.

Life is great, catch you all later.

Pat and Neil

11. Pat4Neil

Still having a great time in sunny hot Kefalonia, still on our beach camping next to the sea.

Had a great time scootering about seeing the island, some of which is beautiful, havent gone south to the really touristy part, as dont want to spoil our love of Kefalonia.

12. Pat4Neil

Greece 2010 blog fully updated

We have just finished our Greece 2010 trip blog, you can view it via this link

www.neilandpat.blogspot.com

We had such a great time and would highly recommend travelling through Greece with a motorhome.

Pat and Neil

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Very tempting !

I love "we got home 5 ours earlier than planned". If we manage +/- 5 days we're impressed.

I wonder if we'll ever see FUN The Greek Job :Smile:

It's such a long way at today's fuel/ferry prices. I know, if you have to ask....

Would it make a good winter trip ?

14. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi you two, having been to Greece many times and love it, you got our taste buds going. (smile) I think its only a matter of time now.....................Great blog Neil (and Pat) hope to catch up soon. Bob.

15. TDH

TDH Funster

What he said!!

I've just PM'd you.

16. Pat4Neil

Hi Brian

5 hours earlier than planned (have to keep to Annual Leave commitments), otherwise I dont think we would have been back that is for sure.

The FUN Greek Job, would be great.

Neil and I have discussed the fuel prices etc and its not much more than the Italy FUN trip, from Calais to Venice is 800 miles, Calais to Ancona is 905, give or take a few miles depending on route taken. The ferry takes out a lot of mileage from getting to Greece and managed to get the Return price from Anek Ferries at £300 last year it was £562 but that included a motorbike on a trailer.

We did a total of 2500 miles to and from our house (150 miles return to our house from Eurotunnel Folkestone) So actual miles we did travelling around Greece is about 500 miles. (which for us wasnt much compared to other travelling around).

As to a FUN trip unless it was during the months of June-Sept when most campsite are open. It would be harder but not impossible to arrange it for May-Jun,or September wildcamping, just to the logistics of organizing places to stay, just in case you unable to stop where you planned or have to move on due to the Police etc.

Winter can be a little wet in Greece, although I havent done it, there are some that have. I think Don Madge might be one, I know he goes to Turkey a few times.

What Greece can other is so much Culture, Mountains, Sea and fantastic coastline. The islands are great to explore too. The ability to do some fantastic wildcamping in places that you would have been happy to have paid a premium to stay at.

On speaking to lots of people who have travelled around Greece wildcamping it is definately something that is getting less easy to do. However on speaking from our own experience its a lot easier than most other European places. With exception of German stellaplatzes and French aires.

Hope that helps.

Pat

17. nickandchris

nickandchris Read Only Funster

Great write up on your Greek trip.Made me very nostalgic as we made it to Greece in our motorhome in 1997. Now we just fly to Greece every year and so recognised many of the places you visited.

18. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Your trip is fabulous! You are so lucky!

If you are thinking of going Brian we are all set for a Fun Greek job!!:Smile:
    Lucille

19. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Pat & Neil
    Just had a read of your trip to Greece blog, glad you had a good time.
    Greece is on our "to do" list, we will be interested in any future ventures.

Brisey (Brian & Pam)

20. Chas17

Chas17 Funster

Thoroughly enjoyed your blog and thanks for a load of useful info. Our last trip into Greece was 10 years ago when we had a couple of nights stopover at Akrata Camping en route from Patras to Piraeus for the Cyprus ferry. We are off to the Pelopponese beginning of September for three weeks - ish and really looking forward to it. We don't really have a plan and intend to meander slowly round the coast. As we are just about to fit Gaslow I wondered if you had any info on availabilty of LPG in Greece.