Alex Gray

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
East Kilbride
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
previously owned a VW type 2, and a converted LDV minibus...looking for something bigger!!
Hi All,

I'm Alex from East Kilbride, near Glasgow.

I've got it into my head that i want another camper, so I was mooching about on the net and came across this site. In the past I have owned a VW bay window camper, and a self built LDV Pilot camper, converted from a minibus. This time i'm looking for something a bit bigger!!

I'd love a Mercedes Vario, but they are probably too big!! so prob more something like a sprinter, either lwb, or xlwb. I want a van hat size to fit in everything i want, and have a nice amount of room to move about!!

I know for sure that i want a permanent bed,a shower/toilet, hob (maybe oven), fridge, LPG water heater, solar panels, a nice comfy sofa, a wardrobe, and a garage bit under the bed to store a small motorbike/scooter in. other than that, i'm open to suggestions of what might be good things to consider!

All help, advice, and suggestions greatly received!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All help, advice, and suggestions greatly received!!

An excellent plan, get on with it.

There are two PVC ( Panel Van Conversions ) on here that carry bikes but not under the bed, PVCs are usually too small.

Do a search for Blackbird, this was posted within the last week ( brilliant conversion ) and anything by Yoric might show his van.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
A warm welcome Alex, plenty of solid advice here, and a good laugh. We live in Scotland and are still discovering new parts to tour after all these years. Hope you get a van to suit you soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
hello and welcome.jpg

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
Alex, and a warm welcome. We visited the West Highlands for the first time this September and loved it. If only we lived closer!

OP
OP
A

Alex Gray

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
East Kilbride
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
previously owned a VW type 2, and a converted LDV minibus...looking for something bigger!!
An excellent plan, get on with it.

There are two PVC ( Panel Van Conversions ) on here that carry bikes but not under the bed, PVCs are usually too small.

Do a search for Blackbird, this was posted within the last week ( brilliant conversion ) and anything by Yoric might show his van.

Hi,

I can't find anything about this Blackbird. Yoric's van looks quite nice, but i'm about 99% certain i don't want a trailer. Want everything self contained!! What bike is that you're sitting on? I have a '84 Honda Goldwing, i'll be looking for something smaller to stick in the back of a van though!

OP
OP
A

Alex Gray

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
East Kilbride
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
View attachment 86130 Alex, and a warm welcome. We visited the West Highlands for the first time this September and loved it. If only we lived closer!
Is the point of having a van not that you can live wherever you wish?!?! But you are right... it is beautiful up there!

OP
OP
A

Alex Gray

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
East Kilbride
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Welcome from a dark but dry Yorkshire :welc:

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome.

Is your name and the pic of the sad dilapidated Catalina suggestive of you being ex RAF?

OP
OP
A

Alex Gray

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
East Kilbride
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
A warm welcome Alex, plenty of solid advice here, and a good laugh. We live in Scotland and are still discovering new parts to tour after all these years. Hope you get a van to suit you soon.
Where do you tour?

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Is the point of having a van not that you can live wherever you wish?!?! But you are right... it is beautiful up there!
I don't think that we could both live together in our 'van for long periods of time ... murder comes to mind! Holidays, up to 3 weeks at a time are great but longer than that .... no, NO, NO!

OP
OP
A

Alex Gray

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
East Kilbride
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Alex,

Yeah, I was in the RAF but aloooooooooong time ago, that Catalina I photographed in Saudi.
Still working on aircraft, Tucanoes at Linton on Ouse, a sooty by trade but employed as a rigger for the last few years, oh the ignominy of it.
I retired last year but then returned to work seven months later, just don't ask xroll: :xdoh:

OP
OP
A

Alex Gray

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
East Kilbride
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Alex,

Yeah, I was in the RAF but aloooooooooong time ago, that Catalina I photographed in Saudi.
Still working on aircraft, Tucanoes at Linton on Ouse, a sooty by trade but employed as a rigger for the last few years, oh the ignominy of it.
I retired last year but then returned to work seven months later, just don't ask xroll: :xdoh:
I'm ex army..nothing as clever as working on aircraft though! I drove trucks. Still do as it happens.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We Tour a
Where do you tour?

All parts of Scotland though we haven't yet managed the Outer Hebrides or Cape Wrath, been to Shetland though. As for other places, England, France, and this year Holland taking a ferry from Newcastle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back