Hello from Russian Truck owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Zoltan Gaz66, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Zoltan Gaz66

Zoltan Gaz66 Read Only Funster

Hi,
    I'm Colin from Kent, owner of a Russian Gaz 66 Military 4x4 truck which is being converted as a camper.

I plan to use this beast to shuffle slowly down to the Alps for skiing in February so there is a mad rush on to finish the interior and test test test all of the systems before the trip. The cold weather has helped enormously as Ive spotted a number of potential issues before they become issues. I have already got several trial runs under my belt during the autumn so it is not an entirely unknown proposition
    The good thing about the Gaz is it is bomb proof mechanically and built for Russian winters. :thumb:
    The bad thing is it is powered by a 4.2 litre Russian V8 petrol engine :Sad:

Not your average motor home but should get up to the ski resorts easily enough whatever the weather

If anyone wants a good laugh I have documented the build here
    http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4041

This is what she looks like from the outside
    http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums... 66 pics/?action=view&current=02122010050.jpg

С Новым годом! Zoltan

2. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

Wow, what does it look like from the outside?
    Anyway good luck and welcome.

Sue

Sorry didn't see 2nd link!

3. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

It should do well in Morocco if you chose to go there.

Doug...

4. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Looks a rugged bit of kit.:thumb:

:welcome:

5. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

What a beast!!!!:thumb:
    I would love to be behind you in the Caravan Club site office when you try to book it in!!!
    Have you thought of an LPG powered conversion? Or dual fuel,for when you go to Morocco?

6. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi & welcome :thumb: thanks for the pics/ links :thumb: look forward to seeing the finished project
    terry

7. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

HI and welcome:thumb::thumb:

8. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi :welcome: to motorhome fun. :thumb: Great bit of kit,:Smile: you will be everyone's best new friend on a wet rally field. :Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: Bob and Jane.

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I don't know what you drink, but I'll have a pint.

Well, maybe not, must be 100% Russian Vodka.

How else could anyone decide to convert that beast into a MH.

I hope I see it one day. And a small Vodka might help me get my head round it :Smile:

Do you wear parachutes in it ?

If you get fed up with going to Switzerland to ski, just hook Switzerland up to it and tow it to Calais.

10. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

May I cordially invite you to become an official member of the Motorhome Fun Nutters Section...

ShiftZZ

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Member ????

President I think.

12. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi Colin and welcome:thumb:
    The aggressive appearance of your camper wil not be everyones cup of tea !!!!!!!!:Eeek:
    BUT there are quite a few of us that will REALLY love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:BigGrin:
    We have no plans to need that amount of off-road ability so it would be wasted on us:RollEyes:
    I know that 'PAT4NEIL' will watch it like a hawk---------they are not going down exactly the same route as you--------but are building a 4x4 truck 'World Cruiser'
    What are your future plans (travel-wise) for the truck------I see all attention is put on cold camping---------do you intend to search for the Sun ? ! ? !
    We are really hopeing you will attend one of our meets ? ?
    Nigel & Pamala

13. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to motorhome fun, that really is a serious looking piece of kit, look forward to hearing how you get on with it, the photo's are great, my hubby looking on with admiration.

14. Zoltan Gaz66

Thanks for your welcoming comments. It always gets plenty of attention when I go anywhere in it, especially at the filling station where it likes to spend a lot of its time :RollEyes:

I might do a tour of CC sites and see just how many I can get turned away from :)
    The beauty of it is its ability to take wild stealth camping to a new level

I'm debating LPG at the moment. It is a very low compression motor so LPG won't be achieving anything close to the levels of 'price advantage' I see with my LPG Land Rover 110. It is an easy installation and far easier than fitting modern after market EFi on which is the alternative to get the petrol consumption down.
    With LPG I also lose one of the (2) 105 litre petrol tanks to replace it with perhaps a 120 litre gas tank. I can get maybe 90 litres of gas in at a fill up so it is quite a short range between fill ups. I like to take the Gaz off road quite a lot so I definitely can't afford to have two great big tanks dragging the ground and the heating is by a petrol Eberspacher 4 kw Hydronic so I need plenty of petrol on for a weeks stay in resort. The Eber drinks 0.6l at full chat per hour and 0.2l per hour on slow. Over a cold week I'll probably average 0.4 l per hour if I am very lucky so I will need at least 60-70 litres of petrol. I might be grossly over estimating the fuel required for the heating, maybe by day the consumption will be much lower. I have learnt to expect the worst and be delighted when it turns out better than that. I'd be very interested to learn from others their experiences of heating fuel consumption in ski resorts.

I was doing some calculations this morning on the length of trip (1400 mile round trip) versus LPG and petrol fuel costs, balancing that against buying another one or possibly two LPG tanks
    Presently the Gaz does a scarily low 10 mpg :Eeek: The EFi will improve that to maybe 12-13 mpg but still not the quantum leap required to compete with an engine on LPG

Why did I buy it?

I wanted something different

15. Zoltan Gaz66

Iceland is one place I really want to visit in a few years

I normally head down to France in the summer so it will see some sun as well. I think if I can get the cold weather sorted the sun should take care of itself :BigGrin:

16. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Variety is the spice of life and you have come to the right site to get real people and not the snobby caravan club type :BigGrin:

We are skiing in the alps in February, and will know what to look out for to recognise you. Hope you invite us in for a coffee and a look around...

Happy travels, just don't get shot at any of the borders. :Rofl1:

17. Zoltan Gaz66

Will hopefully be brewing up in Alpe D'Huez over half term in February :thumb:

18. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

We feel that the c&cc sites are less starchy !! especially the 5 van sites (CS sites) But it depends on the site warden----------------------you will look different --but not as though you will be a 'problem'
    Nigel

19. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

flyingwelcome:

20. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Hi and :welcomefunster: I can think of a couple on here who wouldn't want to park next to you on a cc site, so park it next to mine.

You must come close to the least to the gallon on here. :Rofl1:

Have a great new year I am sure you will with that toy.

Rick.