Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none new
Well 1st time out, got here ok, new drive away awning is up, and all set, and its true its a hell of a lot easier than pitching a caravan, even enjoyed the drive here without all the buffeting from lorries, pictures will be put on later :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well 1st time out, got here ok, new drive away awning is up,

Waiting for the pictures......
I've never seen a drive away awning in 3 years motorhoming.

Looks like your old tugging habits die hard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
:welcomefunster: s (Plural) to North Wales.

I hope you have a great time. I've been here for years and still enjoy it:ROFLMAO:

Phil

KSH

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
All I can say is
"If your going home in the next 5 days, leave the weather where it is, don't take the good weather home with ya"!

I'm heading across there next Friday for 9 days, 1st stop near Abergele, no other plans apart from walking Snowdon one day, just go where the road takes us and stop when we feel like it,

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Hope your enjoying your Motorhome. Let me know what you think of the awning because we are thinking about getting one.

Dale

mythor

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
one year and six months
drive away awnings

They are great was in Lough Lomond last week thunder lighting rain like I havent seen in years It gave great protection had my cool box plugged in on extention lead to keep wine cool I had not taken the time to peg it all out so got a small pool but that was me not the awning . I had a rail fitted so it could slide on directly to the van M/H is kon tiki so she is low but if you have a high home make sure you get big enough awning friend of mine had problems as old awning and new motor home dont match. yours must be ok but just in case anyone else is thinking of it.
enjoy Wales was there last Christmas wonderful
Ann:Smile:

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
well done,
we are due in North Wales on Monday for 2 or 3 weeks.

Have a campervan so after 3 years invested in a drive away awning for a little extra space, find it a great idea if staying on site for more than 3 or 4 days.
The only problem is in the title ' drive away' as I keep the caravanners amused trying to 'drive back' can take two or three goes to get lined up enough to hook the awning back on. Still as they say practice makes perfect or try learning to drive properly :ROFLMAO:

heres to many happy years of travelling.

Colin

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
hi Dencol ...having only just bought a drive away kit for the awning not sure what you mean by drive back? surely you can slip the awning in with the drive away kit after reversing into vaguely the same position you were in when you drove away from the van??? woyuld be interesting to know this:Smile:

OP
OP
J

john+julie

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none new
pictures as promised, weather is great

Attachments

• DSC03165.jpg
    DSC03165.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC03172.jpg
    DSC03172.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 34
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Lucky you, keep us posted as we will be first timers after picking up our new motorhome in a couple of weeks.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Used to use Stand alone awning and trick I used for getting back into position was to put pegs in by the wheels when first connected, then stretch a bright coloured tape between pegs. Then when you drive away you have only to line wheels up to tape on return, easy.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi John and Julie, We live in North Wales and it is a beautiful day here with an almost cloudless sky. Enjoy your time here.
Lucille

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
hi Dencol ...having only just bought a drive away kit for the awning not sure what you mean by drive back? surely you can slip the awning in with the drive away kit after reversing into vaguely the same position you were in when you drove away from the van??? woyuld be interesting to know this:Smile:

Hi
Sorry about post swmbo and myself have strange sense of humour.:RollEyes:
First time out did not move off site. Last time out stayed on a site for a month so drove off site most days. The awning is fine and does just clip back onto the van 'J' rail with figure of eight platic strips so should be no problem.

The problem was my poor driving as first couple of time backed onto pitch only to find had parked slightly too far away for the awning to reach the J rail. so back and forth till got it right. Then started to over compensate and parked too close so that when we had some high winds the plastic strip lifted off the rail (woke us up in middle of the night with the plastic strip banging against the van.

As mentioned by others eventually sussed it out by placing marker pegs next to the offside wheels and added two guy lines to the awning where it attached to the j rail to add a small amount of tension to stop it lifting. However by this time the standard joke as we returned to site was the fact that we bought an awning that was great for 'driving away' from, but must be faulty when driving back as it could not be my poor parking::bigsmile:

Now if staying for more than two or three nights would not be without the awning.

OP
OP
J

john+julie

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none new
more pics , enyoying this now

Attachments

• DSC03197.jpg
    DSC03197.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC03210.jpg
    DSC03210.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 15

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
John and Julie

Could you please tell us where the photos are taken.

OP
OP
J

john+julie

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none new
site is hadogfadog cl near llanfairechan others are bay at llandudnoo and layby between betwys coed and llanberis

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Thanks, I recognised the Llandudno view but I shall have to seek out the others. Weather still great in North Wales isn't it, so keep on enjoying youselves.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back