Hello from Den seeking much advice on 90's S700 (1 Viewer)

DenDastardly

Free Member
Jan 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
1 year
Seen some brilliant posts on Hymers hence my joining...

Been intending to get a MH for years but determined to get one at last and do some adventurin.

Like everyone else I am trying to get the right model and the early 90's Hymer S700 looks perfect for my needs - ALMOST... the rear lounge version WITH RETRO 3 POINT SEAT BELTS FITTED PLEASE...

So can (safe and legal...) lounge seat belts be retrofitted in the rear lounge of an S700?

All the best Den

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DenDastardly

Free Member
Jan 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
1 year
Been asked many times and the answer is always no because no-one could afford to have then legally certified and it they aren't it poses terrible insurance questions.

Hi Brian and thanks for your reply.

BUT what if you have a model that has anchor points in the chassis that are used for a different configuration, surely they would be tested and legal to utilise?
I realise that even if this idea has merit the chance of there being anchor points in the lounge area is remote. I’ll start up a specific thread at some point to see if anyone has pursued this idea and mebbe also contact Hymer.

Cheers Den

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you were properly rear ended, HGV drive asleep at the wheel etc, rear belts or anything else for that matter isn't going to be any good.
Why put your family at risk putting them in a plastic box with very little protection.

OP
OP
D

DenDastardly

Free Member
Jan 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
1 year
wow I think a Hymer would be as safe as many vehicles carrying around passengers in the rear seats

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
BUT what if you have a model that has anchor points in the chassis that are used for a different configuration, surely they would be tested and legal to utilise?
Cheers Den

No-one in their right mind would say yes to you in print and risk the consequences if the belts or your workmanship failed. Sorry but that's the world we live in.

On a good note, the "classic" Hymers are some of the best MHs ever built, there are several on FUN.

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
wow I think a Hymer would be as safe as many vehicles carrying around passengers in the rear seats
All motorhome disintegrate in the event of a crash.

In the Nineties lap belts were a rarity let alone lap and horizontal

It is an argument that has been done time and time again. One side, say's your not strapped in on a bus, a coach or a train and can move round to use a loo, stretch your legs, talk to a friend etc

Others think that you should be strapped in and never move around

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@DenDastardly welcome and as youre probably aware you can find out almost anything about your hymer here. You only have 5 posts though so you may want to consider subscribing. 15 quid a year for as many questions and input as you can manage.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
den i get the impression that you have absolutely no idea how motorhomes are built. they certainly dont use a standard chassis with optional mounting points fitted. especially with 90s vans the body is plywood, timber frame with polystyrene insulation and a thin skin of aluminium. any seatbelt mounts would be attached to the chassis below and that ends about 3 ft from the rear wall

basically a caravan body bolted to a pickup truck. the variation to this is the a class which doesnt include a steel cab

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
den i get the impression that you have absolutely no idea how motorhomes are built. they certainly dont use a standard chassis with optional mounting points fitted. especially with 90s vans the body is plywood, timber frame with polystyrene insulation and a thin skin of aluminium. any seatbelt mounts would be attached to the chassis below and that ends about 3 ft from the rear wall

basically a caravan body bolted to a pickup truck. the variation to this is the a class which doesnt include a steel cab

OP
OP
D

DenDastardly

Free Member
Jan 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
1 year
Thanks to all you good folk who took the trouble to offer their advice - even though some of you perhaps suspected I was nutter.

I should perhaps explain that I was wanting to have bench seats at the front of a Hymer S700 giving me the biggest lounge area possible but I wasn't happy with the safety of lap belts - hence my considering the back lounge

I want at least the option to take my two kids away with me so it looks like I’ll be searching for the Hymer S700 with the layout that has the fixed bed and bar type area that provides a third seat - which I presume is 3 point...

I'd appreciate suggestions of older Hymer S models with big lounges that might fit the bill - another thread methinks....

Cheers Den

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Best option as you say is the bar version, with three dedicated pilot seats. Hymer do this in the 660s and 700s. Also another make you may have not heard of is the RMB Silver Star 670 on the same Merc 410 Chassis, This was built in the same configuration but with a L shaped couch facing the bar version pilot seat. Some of these had a seatbelt in the forward facing piece of the couch, giving 4 belted seats. Finding one is a little like trying to find hens teeth and I wish many times I had not sold mine.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Something like this. A top specification van with just about every factory fitted option costing in excess of 200000 Euros when new.
Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back