Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Georgetown XL 378 class A
Exp
since 1980
I just joined the American Motorhome club in the UK and a member recommended that I sign up here as well. It looks like it was good advice.

My husband and I currently live in Canada and own a 37ft Georgetown XLS 378TS. Our plan is that as soon as we retire we will ship our RV over to the continent and plan to live in it for two years or so while touring Europe. We both have EU passports as well as Canadian passports. I was born in the UK and my husband is Dutch. We have rented smaller class C motorhomes in various countries in Europe but we have never tried traveling in a class A size machine towing a car. It should be fun!

I look forward to talking with people on this forum.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! When you come to ship it over here you may need to decide whether to register the RV in a European country otherwise you may have a problem when it needs the Canadian equivalent of an MOT, assuming you have such a thing over there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
have never tried traveling in a class A size machine towing a car. It should be fun!

I had a 36ft GeorgieBoy RV with double axle box trailer .. toured Europe and Morocco... lived in it for three years.. and yes, you are correct.. it can be 'fun' ..

provided you plan ahead and check sites for suitability.. not too bad..

The aires in France are great and you will fit on some.. but not all..

have fun

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Welcome to Fun ..... please be aware that in most of mainland Europe a car being towed by a RV has to be on a trailer as A-frames are not allowed.

OP
OP
J

JackieJ

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1980
Welcome to Fun ..... please be aware that in most of mainland Europe a car being towed by a RV has to be on a trailer as A-frames are not allowed.
I just heard yesterday about the trailer. That really disappoints me. We have the hooking and unhooking down to about two minutes. We have a very good braking system. I really didn't want to have to park a trailer as well when I am parking the motorhome. Big disappointment but obviously I can't do anything about the laws in various countries.

I am not coming over until later in 2016 at the earliest. Any hopes that there is change in the wind about towing a car?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Any hopes that there is change in the wind about towing a car?

Afraid not.,. they used to be quite lax about it ,.. not anymore..

If stopped you are fined and made to unhitch and drive the car.

The UK is still OK..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

The only likely change is that it will be banned in more of the countries that currently allow it.

By the way, hello :welc:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There certainly will.....but for the worse.

A couple of years ago they were mostly ignored in Europe, as they are here in the uk, but jonnie foreigner has taken exception starting with Spain, now france and Germany are getting tough.

You could take a chance if you both drive but if stopped you will be told to unhitch.....and especially in Spain you will be issued with an on the spot fine.
no ready cash.....they will take you to a cash dispenser to get the money....there is no escape.

OP
OP
J

JackieJ

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1980
What is the logic for not being able to flat tow cars? Why is a trailer considered any safer? Do you know?

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there and welcome to MHF(y)
Brian & Jo

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
What is the logic for not being able to flat tow cars? Why is a trailer considered any safer? Do you know?
In the countries that ban A frames the law is that only a recovery vehicle can tow a car , usually because it has broken down!, they don't make exceptions for "our" hobby, that's how it is, unfortunately.

Welcome to the fun,anyway.
Cheers, Dave (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back