Hello from a slightly stressed newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Simon, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

Hi all!

We *just* bought a 1993 Swift Kontiki 600. Having driven it home with no power steering it is, I must admit, something of a culture shock, and perhaps even slightly terrifying. I'm sure I'll grow to love it one day... maybe.

Anyway, the first thing we did was fill it with diesel. That was fine. Drove round to the airline to check the tyres and... ok, where are the valves? What are those skinny stick things? Don't look like valves. They have a knurled bit half way down so perhaps they unscrew? Nope. Pushed on the white plastic thing in the middle and... great, air's coming out. Release it. Air still coming out!! Tried to just push the inflator nozzle onto the end of the valve but it didn't seem to be doing anything inflation-wise. It did stop air coming out though so I left it to seek help.

So, I can't even blow the tyres up. What else is going to happen??

*Concerned*

Simon.

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Hello Simon

Is this you asking for help, while still blocking the garage forecourt?

Or have you sorted that 'issue'

It is a really steep learning curve, but everybody on here is also somewhere on the same curve as well

Best of luck, don't be shy to ask, some may give sarky answers but they are well meaning really, others will have what you need (y)

3. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Sounds like they are some sort of either valve extensions, or pressure indicators. Do they need a special key to remove them?? If not, just unscrew them from the valve......

• Like Like x 1
  4. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

Apologies for not replying earlier - I was persuaded to go out and find a hook-up lead. Failed there too but that'll be ordered.

I didn't block up the garage, fortunately, I just stopped trying to deflate all the tyres and went home dejected.

I'm going to have to upload a picture of the tyre valves somewhere. A neighbour said that I should just push the garage's inflater on hard and it'll work. I'm dubious but this might have to be attempted as my 12v pump only just copes with they Volvo's tyres. It's not him, however, who will look a tit, stuck at the garage.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

A picture will be forthcoming. Somewhere. I don't know; it's been a very long day.

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

:welc: Hi Simon, take a deep breath, stop and think of all the reasons you wanted to buy the van for in the first place. Best £10 you will spend is your yearly £10 for Fun, next make a list of all the questions you want t o ask.

Make a thread with Accurate title for each problem you have different people will pick up on the different issues, thats the best way to get the info you need.

Have you checked the van out for damp, if you have any it's the issue that needs tackling first.

Next year when it's all sorted and you can look back and smile enjoying your van

• Like Like x 3
  8. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

Welcome,

Alan + Diane,

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hymie

Hymie Funster

Hi and welcome.

Hymie.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

That's them!! Did you notice the sole review that said they leak and don't work? That's because they leak and don't work. I took some long-nosed pliers to them and had to pull them off. The relief when I found a lovely shiny *normal* valve behind them was quite splendid.

Well done that camper!

• Like Like x 5
  11. DiddyDoddy

DiddyDoddy Read Only Funster

hi simon another newbie here, hang in there buddy we have been down that road,and big welcome from us there is some fantastic people in this club who are full of great info and laughter.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

Thanks for the sane words, Carol. I did get a bit ranty and slightly overwhelmed earlier but the wolfed kebab and couple of big gins have calmed the nerves.
    You know when you start to look at something properly and it's only then you find all the little niggly bits you didn't notice when you had stars in your eyes? That and being up since 4am for work and then being forced to drive a comparatively ancient bus without the aid of a Jack Hargreaves to explain how the steam-powered brakes work. It's a bit like someone took away my laptop and told me I have to use a Commodore 64 from now on :)

It will be splendid, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

I'm hanging in there! It's better already, now that I feel slightly more in control.

I used to drive a Tesco delivery van for a living so the size isn't daunting, it's the bouncy creakiness and gears that operate through bungee cords. It's actually quite fun really and I'm sure it will become huge fun. Just so long as nobody runs out in front of me!

• Like Like x 1
  14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi welcome .
    i say they do work . i have some here i first used when i worked for ats in the 70,s . had them on loads of vehicles . ideal if you have fancy wheel trims .
    there are loads of different extensions ,brass ,steel ,rubber . you name it they are out there.
    the ones i have are plastic just like the pics . but still work.

15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

shame you didnt buy a vw slit screen camper . you really would think what you have now is a rolls royce .
    mind i do like vw,s . ha ha .

• Like Like x 1
  16. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Hi Simon and welcome :welc:
    Carols advice was sound. Follow that and you won't go wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  17. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

Welcome to the best club bar none. As Carol said - all your questions will be answered with a few jokes along the way - stops you from getting too hung up on what may seem at first insurmountable problems. Get to the meets and rallies. They really are the best way to spend a weekend (or longer if you are in the happy situation of being retired!)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Slightly stressed newbie? Welcome. A couple of months on Fun and you'll be really stressed like the rest of us. :wasntme:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Andy

Andy Funster

Hi Simon, as a fellow non power-steered m/h owner, '89 C25 Hymer in my case, enjoy the new found freedom (not to mention the steep learning curve :whistle:) your new purchase will give you in time...........:)
    And as cliffandger so rightly says, if you can get yourself along to a rally/meet, you will be made welcome. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  20. aandj

aandj Read Only Funster

Welcome!
    We are relatively new here too!
    Don`t forget there's several people that do power steering conversions around the country if it gets too much?
    Typically about £600, they are electric and they simply replace your steering column with an already modified one!
    Have Fun!