Hello everyone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by fletch_lives, Feb 15, 2014.

1. fletch_lives

fletch_lives Read Only Funster

I am an American living and exploring Europe. My plan is to obtain a motor home and find all of the out of the way places of Europe and beyond. I am looking to purchase a motor home (left hand drive, of course) as soon as possible. I have run into some snags though with financing. I have been living in France for 7 months now, but because I do not pay French taxes (I am retired) I am unable to get a loan here, and my US bank won't loan me the money because I am in Europe. :cry:I have a French bank account and pay utilities here. I can relocate anywhere as I do not have any particular roots in France. Yet, I do not plan on moving back to the US.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have seen a couple of vehicles in the UK, but I am sure I will run into the same problem in trying to get a loan.:helpsos:

2. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

Welcome to the [STRIKE]mayhem[/STRIKE] fun.

I don`t know about finance etc. but I hope that you enjoy your travels here.

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Pay cash.

4. Bee

Bee Read Only Funster

We have a french motorhome which is up for sale. A Hymer 654 2 x 2 tramp 2010

Have you got an address in france and have you got proof of income you should be able to get a loan

5. Phill D

Phill D

hi welcome, i guess that will sadly be the same situation throughout europe , but good luck:thumb:

6. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

I will ask my banker if there is any "hidden" way to get a loan, a way they would not talk about unless YOU talk about it! May I ask in which bank is your account in France? May be you didn't choose the right one (La Poste for example would not loan you a penny!!!)

In the meantime ... Welcome!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. steevie

steevie Funster

welcome. I hope someone comes up with a way you can finance a motorhome, but my way is to always pay cash, and if you dont have a lot of cash, then just look for the best you can buy with what you have got. Our motorhome cost a lot less than many have to find as deposit, and things that needed doing were all what we could put up with till later. good luck! :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Do you have a credit card? If so take out another credit card - one with interest free transfer. Use the original card to pay for the van (or do it via paypal linked to that credit card) and then transfer the credit card balance to the interest free card. You'll still pay a transfer fee but it may be one way round the system. Check you can transfer to the original credit card especially if it has been issued in a country other than the second credit card.

But it is ALWAYS better to pay cash and stay within your means. If you miss a "bargain" then take it as a sign that it was no bargain and was not for you. As they say here "If it's for you it won't go past you".

Many banks will not loan to people on fixed incomes in today's economic climate and they will also increase interest rates for any excuse they can think of.

WARNING: Don't do this unless you are sure you can afford to pay back the loan/credit card debt within the relevant terms.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Without a fixed abode and credit history in the UK, you will never get finance on a motorhome

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  10. f6c

f6c Funster

Welcome

Welcome aboard:Wink:

11. geo glasgow

geo glasgow Read Only Funster

permanent address, where the van will be parked ,contact point , all this is required because the banks would state that they would need to seize the van if you made none or missed payments , sounds hard but the states are in a worse financial crisis than Europe and the uk, not Scotland lol....:Wink:
    i would suggest you get a motorhome within your liquid asset means buy cash .
    there are m/homes around £12k but £25 is better there is upkeep ,insurances and if your anything like me , fibreglass repair, and bearing and brake issue,,
    carry a full garage around with you if your going off grid.... solar ,and generator if required,, good luck and remember the suncream,,,,,,:thumb:

12. geo glasgow

geo glasgow Read Only Funster

I know a few retired doctors who earned nowhere near the money an American Dr would earn and there well off with the dosh,,.
    THE other way to get a loan is from the states, cash in your pension,,,
    cash in on any property or release some equity on any assets or estate,
    this is what every lone or bank company would ask you if you have none of the above then u wont under any circumstance get a financial loan because they would simply say your a retired Dr whats happened to a lifetimes earnings?? sounds hard but i would expect the banks to ask me that and they have, ,, remember every time you approach for credit with any company it gets noted and your rating for credit may fall each time,,.
    if its just you that wants to travel get a van, cheaper and easier on the wallet to run,, because if you get a motorhome for the back roads of Europe your gonna need a lot of cash,, Bandits robbers and holes in the road,,,,my mate in Bulgaria got his wheels incl spare stolen left on bricks it was after an hour of sightseeing, the removed the satellite from the roof and got in threw a sky light stole his clothes and medication out the fridge,,,, needless to say most of the medication was for constipation and depression,,lol, after this happened to him he was depressed for years after,, :Angry: