Abs

Free Member
Jul 16, 2012
Ballywalter
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi, my name is Abby, I live by the sea on the ards peninsular in northern Ireland. I live with my partner graeme, my 6 year old son Logan and my 15 month baby girl, Emily.
I do not own a motorhome yet, I am just starting to gather information and advise. Logan is disabled and I have issues trying to stay anywhere other than home, so I'm thinking a motorhome would suit us to get out and about.
Currently I am trying to get information on what motorhomes are under 3500kg, as I am limited to this weight by my driving licence, please could anyone help me with that to start with.
Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you.
Sweet dreams, I'm off to bed for now.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hello

( I was raised in Belfast and ended up in Coleraine LOVE Ulster esp the NE Coast)

IF you can find a dealer/motorhome centre nearby do visit BUT don't commit to purchace, as I found that the first motorhome we bought wasn't suitable for our needs. Do not be afraid to try the bed as you may want a fixed bed or two singles. Try the driving position, cooking facilities and find out how much it would cost to have the van converted if you need to.
Don't get stage struck about the bathroom unless you intend putting a lot of water in and emptying lots off waste water:Eeek:. However you may want to use it but if on a camp site there are shower blocks with handicap facilities etc.
A good magazine to look at is MMM sold in Tesco etc and get some idea whats out there.
IF there is a site nearby perhaps you could arrange a visit to see the facilities and TALK to motor home owners. Being from Ulster I know you will have the ""gift off the gab"":RollEyes:and get an idea of what motorhoming is about.

Good luck and keep us posted and you are assured of lots off advice on Fun:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Abby and welcome to Fun, would seem a good idea a a motorhome is just that a home from home. :welcomefunster:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
We are quite new to this motorhome lark, my wife is disabled and so far we have had a couple of weekends away, both sites we have stayed at had very good facilities for disabled.::bigsmile:
Others we have looked at seem to cater for the disabled, so hopefully that wont be a major problem.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi abby welcome to motorhome fun
you will find that around 85 - 90% of 4 berth motorhomes will come in at under 3500kg
there are a few disabled funsters around and about that may be able to advise on what to look out for and what to avoid.

although a little more info on what disability Logan has may help point in the right direction as there are so many disabilities, and what works for one may not be so successful with another.

most of the 3 - 4 berth motorhomes will mostly entail someone sleeping above the cab but there are other options like the drop down beds as fitted to the likes of Hymer's etc. but you could come up against the 3500kg obstacle as quite a few are 3850kg.

hope this helps

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Currently I am trying to get information on what motorhomes are under 3500kg, as I am limited to this weight by my driving licence, please could anyone help me with that to start with.

Hi and welcome.One thing to remember is that 3,500Kg is the weight that you should not exceed when you are travelling in it.
eg. Our LMC Liberty582 is plated at 3,500kg-the previous owners (2 very slim people with no bikes) said that it weighed in at 2,400Kg ready to go.
By the time I had fitted 2 solar panels,an extra leisure battery,put a bike rack and 2 bikes on it was weighing 3,100Kg with us in cab,packed for a 4week trip and full tanks (fuel,gas and both water tanks) .
Now that we have replaced our mountain bikes with electric bikes I need to check it again.
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back