spsmith45

Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
In the early stages of looking into motorhomes, having had good holidays in old VW dormies, a Bedford coachbuilt and a Merc in New Zealand.

My wife and I are looking at 2 berth panel van conversions - not too much space on drive, appearance, MPG. We had a good look around Brownhills and STC in Newark yesterday. Very interesting.

We are leaning towards a Globecar Globestyle. (Ducato chassis 5.99m). Build quality said to be excellent. Nice silver van.

I am 6ft 4 and I found the Transit conversions uncomfortable up front. Ducato felt better.

Globecar has a mid lounge/bed which is long. Big loo/shower area, swivel seats, small kitchen area. Price low for the spec, but I think Globecar are keen to develop the UK market and they produce large numbers of conversions in Germany so economies of scale good.

The CI coachbuilts were nice but a bit too big.

We live in Harrogate so may have a look at Vantagehomes in Leeds. I read that their interior quality is good. Pricier though.

Any thoughts?

STC very friendly and helpful

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Fun, I would say before you choose your van, take time without the sales man around to sit in it and see what it will be like for cooking in, or spending time in when the weather turns wet or cold. Also make sure there is room for things like chairs or BBQ for outside.

They are big purchases so you want as much information as you can. Enjoy your search, and when you do get one, a great way of life. :welcomefunster:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Try the bed

If I could offer any advice is make up the motorhome for night use and lay on the bed.
At 6'4" you might well find the beds are a bit on the short side.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

spsmith45

Free Member
Jun 7, 2012
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thanks for the advice. Yes, panel vans are a a bit narrow for sleeping across, but this Globecar lets you sleep lengthways so it's fine for the very tall.

The sales staff were very slightly critical of another popular conversion, the Trigano Tribute, mainly on the basis of build quality. STC sell CI coachbuilts, manufactured at the Trigano plant, and felt the CIs were less well put together than the German Globecar.

Originally we liked the idea of a rear lounge, but this squeezes the driver up front as the driver's seat backs on to a bulkhead or furnture. So, for a very tall driver, a central lounge has advantages.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back